W213 E Class 2019 - seat change?

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
I have seen a 2019 E Class.
It is the AMG line and has the half leathers, which I cannot stand. But it has many other options I like.
It also appears a decent price, given recent market conditions, it is from a MB dealer too.

Question: if I buy a set of leather seats, such as in this link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185870267837

Is it easy enough to switch over? Anything I should consider which I haven't?

I did consider reupholstering the suede bits, but that will probably cost over £1000 and then someone mentioned to me sometimes the heating element could be sewn into the suese underneath which may cause issues trying to replace it, so best thought to leave it alone!

Any experiences welcome!

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
My thoughts entirely I’ve only seen one S213 with full leather and I’m not a big fan of the suede inserts either. Not sure how you get around it other than having the panels re trimmed in leather. I would talk to MB explain the situation and ask about compatibility of the eBay seats there is a good chance they will be OK

Larkone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 CLS 320CDI 2008
I had my drivers seat rebuilt by these guys and seeing the work in their unit they do re-trimming seats I would recommend them. Cant comment on your possible heated seat issue but mine definitely wasn't sown in - never heard that before.

Benz17

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350d Amg Premium Saloon, Cavansite Blue, 2017
I have seen a 2019 E Class.
It is the AMG line and has the half leathers, which I cannot stand. But it has many other options I like.
It also appears a decent price, given recent market conditions, it is from a MB dealer too.

Question: if I buy a set of leather seats, such as in this link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185870267837

Is it easy enough to switch over? Anything I should consider which I haven't?

I did consider reupholstering the suede bits, but that will probably cost over £1000 and then someone mentioned to me sometimes the heating element could be sewn into the suese underneath which may cause issues trying to replace it, so best thought to leave it alone!

Any experiences welcome!
Just to point out the half leather, is not the real macoy, it is fake leather. I had the same on my W213, but I had mine re trimmed to Nappa leather, and worth it if keeping the car for a good a few years.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Just to point out the half leather, is not the real macoy, it is fake leather. I had the same on my W213, but I had mine re trimmed to Nappa leather, and worth it if keeping the car for a good a few years.
It’s another reason I like the “SE” spec on the W213, comes with real leather as standard…

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
..... Cant comment on your possible heated seat issue but mine definitely wasn't sown in - never heard that before.
The heating elements are sewn into the seat covers on my Smart Roadster .... likewise on my Omega

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
Having seats retrimmed in new leather rather than buying a scrap yard set and selling yours will be more expensive, but get a quote.

It might not be as much as you think, esp if you're not doing door cards

Oh, and you get nice new to sit on, not who knows what....

OP
T

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
Thanks all for the thoughts. I have had a 213 before and it was the SE. I am after a slightly better spec this time, they seem to be largely the AMG line models. I would happily go for the SE again (fatter tyres = more comforable; not fussed about big alloys and spoilers on this car).

I have a quote for the re-trimming. It would be to remove all seats and re-trim the centre parts. Given the bolsters are artico - the centres would be re-trimmed to match, so probably also artico would make most sense...the quote I have had is around £1100-1300.

Those posted above who have had theirs re-trimmed, let me know how that compares if you don't mind?

The 'scrap' seats I have found look to have done very little mileage and the cost will be a little more, but I would end up with a set of proper leather seats and there would be no issue around quality of the job I guess. I assume easy enough to switch over?

I am still browsing daily, if an SE comes up with the spec I want, I may just take one of those instead.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Thanks all for the thoughts. I have had a 213 before and it was the SE. I am after a slightly better spec this time, they seem to be largely the AMG line models. I would happily go for the SE again (fatter tyres = more comforable; not fussed about big alloys and spoilers on this car).

I have a quote for the re-trimming. It would be to remove all seats and re-trim the centre parts. Given the bolsters are artico - the centres would be re-trimmed to match, so probably also artico would make most sense...the quote I have had is around £1100-1300.

Those posted above who have had theirs re-trimmed, let me know how that compares if you don't mind?

The 'scrap' seats I have found look to have done very little mileage and the cost will be a little more, but I would end up with a set of proper leather seats and there would be no issue around quality of the job I guess. I assume easy enough to switch over?

I am still browsing daily, if an SE comes up with the spec I want, I may just take one of those instead.
Don’t fit Artico, it will tear

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
If you can fit yourself or it costs no more than a couple of hours labour, given that you can then sell the old interior, if the colour and condition is good, then it's valid choice.

The retrim option may have increased post pandemic when a friend has his Audi retrimmed locally here (he bought one cheap that had dog tears, scratches, smells, hair and god knows what) but the chap he used in Southampton was excellent.

He paid £750 ex door cards, so your £1,100 or so might not be bad

OP
T

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
OK thanks all.

I think the conclusion for now, is stick to finding an SE.
The faff of changing seats probably is an added drama I don't need right now!
So for now at least, the search continues.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
In defence of the Artico/Dinamica combination, I've had it for nearly five years and really like it. The “suede” is much more grippy than leather/vegan leather and you don’t slide around on it. Mine, at least, is currently wearing well.

I actually specified real leather when I ordered the car but it came with this combination. Still not sure whether it was incompetence or a deliberate attempt to mislead but, in the end, they compensated me well for their “error” and I'm happy with it.

OP
T

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
OK thanks all.

I think the conclusion for now, is stick to finding an SE.
The faff of changing seats probably is an added drama I don't need right now!
So for now at least, the search continues.
To update the thread I found a lovely SE version. It is 2017 so not quite the fully specced version of 2019 that I was looking at. Very much a base spec, however it looks good and on collection yesterday, the drive home was very pleasant.

It is the 200d variant, which I believe is the same engine as the 220d. I will speak to GAD or a couple of other companies out there to find out if it can be remapped to behave just like the 220d, or if there are any physical differences in components.

The engine is 150hp, vs the 190hp of the 220d. Although, to drive it is adequate, I know it has further potential.

The 40 minute drive home delivered 70mpg! Pretty happy with that, although I know over time, I will not get that much.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
To update the thread I found a lovely SE version. It is 2017 so not quite the fully specced version of 2019 that I was looking at. Very much a base spec, however it looks good and on collection yesterday, the drive home was very pleasant.

It is the 200d variant, which I believe is the same engine as the 220d. I will speak to GAD or a couple of other companies out there to find out if it can be remapped to behave just like the 220d, or if there are any physical differences in components.

The engine is 150hp, vs the 190hp of the 220d. Although, to drive it is adequate, I know it has further potential.

The 40 minute drive home delivered 70mpg! Pretty happy with that, although I know over time, I will not get that much.
Pictures?

Lurch16

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Merc552021
Can I ask what the return cost and who did it, I’m in Yorkshire. Thanks got a 2107 W212

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Do you trade in your seats against the leather ones or are you then tasked with selling a full set of seats?

Benz17

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350d Amg Premium Saloon, Cavansite Blue, 2017
Can I ask what the return cost and who did it, I’m in Yorkshire. Thanks got a 2107 W212
Hi sorry for the late reply, trimmers are in London, B Trim, Nappa Leather was over 2k.

Attachments

• 20200822_120255.jpeg
    20200822_120255.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200822_120310.jpeg
    20200822_120310.jpeg
    54.9 KB · Views: 10

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
For anyone going down the re-trim option, considering the time and cost, I would say think about some finishing touches, be it stitching, embroidery etc.

This was done on the Supra, easy on the eye but, really helps emphasise custom work and add that special extra touch which everyone will appreciate.

f9967bd4033ca9f9b387f9c7d180af96.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Top Bottom