W220 passenger door mirror 'clicking'

Ian Shepherd

Reaction score
Hi all,

My passenger side mirror clicks noisily as it auto-adjusts back to its original position after reversing. I imagine it's going to be pretty straightforward to determine what the problem is - if only I knew how to remove the mirror glass to get to the mechanism!

I'm nervous as it seems quite fragile - does it just pull off or is there a special technique?

Thanks
Ian

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Ian that might just need some manual adjustment by pushing the top or bottom of the glass inwards, you will hear the mirror click as you move the glass.

Bear in mind, if for example a child was playing with the mirror then the could knock out the position that you had previous set for reversing, there is a procedure for resetting but I don’t know what it is but others on here will.

Dec

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The wires inside could be in the wrong place stopping the movement of the glass,,the clicking is the gears jumping

What dec said may work,,just press the glass in at the top till it stops, then re adjust with your control switch, and store in the memory. engage reverse and adjust the mirror to the correct plain and store in the memory

OP
I

Ian Shepherd

Reaction score
Sorted...

I realised that by tilting the mirror fully down and using a pair of needle-nosed pliers, I was able to unhook a retaining wire at the top-left of the mirror assembly which released the mirror glass. There was no sign of wires getting in the way, however, it was all looking a bit mucky inside so I gave it a clean (I suppose mirrors have to put up with a lot after 128,000 miles!).

There are two triangular metal plates - one below and one to the right of the tilting assembly - these seemed to act as tensioners. I greased these plates and reassembled the mirror (carefully!). No more clicking noise!

A good example of an irritation I had been putting up with for a couple of years being resolved with 10 minutes effort and a blob of grease!

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Clicking is normal Ian and can only be heard when the mirror has reached as far as it will travel in any particular direction.

In effect what you have done is manually adjusted the mirror in the process of its removal, the clean up can only be beneficial.

Dec

Chas

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320
Hi all,

My passenger side mirror clicks noisily as it auto-adjusts back to its original position after reversing. I imagine it's going to be pretty straightforward to determine what the problem is - if only I knew how to remove the mirror glass to get to the mechanism!

I'm nervous as it seems quite fragile - does it just pull off or is there a special technique?

Thanks
Ian

If you don't want the auto reverse adjust, select the right hand mirror control button. This stops the auto adjust which I find irritating :lol:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom