W220 S55 non starter after not using

lordgaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W220 S-Class S55 AMG 2000 / W220 S-Class S55K AMG 2003 / W163 ML270 / Jaguar XJR X350
Hi All
I have a little bit of a problem.
I stopped using my S55 about 14 weeks ago, and put a cover over it until just recently - It just will not turn over.
All the dash lights come on, and everything is as per normal until I turn the key, and nothing happens (key turns, fuel pump primes etc)

There are some things I have checked and things I have found!

1 - I put a new battery on
2 - I have checked all fuses in the engine bay (including the ones under the drivers carpet and on the passenger A post area) - all seem ok
3 - No clicking from the starter relay - Swapped it, and still nothing.
4 - Checked the TCM (the one in the right side fuse box as you look at the car from the front - It was full of transmission fluid(!!) - cleaned carefully and put back - My Carsoft MB11 can seemingly connect to this module still (It will show me the part code, and other gearbox data information - eg - gear selected, solenoids info) - but it does show 2 codes - P02311 / P02312 which is a canbus error
As it was full of transmission oil, I guess I can presume the pilot bush coming out of the gearbox is also wet - Could that be a source of the error code? -
The car is also flat on the ground as over the 14 weeks, the ABC suspension has sunk, making access underneath very hard.

So I guess I would like to know of anyones experience with these error codes, and also suggestions of any other tests or checks I could do before I throw the towel in

edit: I also suspected the starter motor could be jammed, but without any clicking from the relay, sort of ruled it out - plus I manually turned the engine a small amount in the right direction with a socket on the crankshaft to see if that would help if the starter was stuck

Failing that, I will need someone with mobile star diagnosis in the Hereford/Worcester/Gloucester or beyond area who knows their stuff - Recommendations welcome.

Cheers
G

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
P2311 CAN communication with the engine system is faulty.
P2311 One or more messages from the engine control unit are not available on the CAN bus.

P2312 CAN communication with the engine system is faulty or engine temperature is implausible.
P2312 One or more messages from the engine control unit are not available on the CAN bus.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
that sounds a bit like the module you looked at isn't happy

perhaps a good going over on all connections especially any in the footwells?

shouldn't the ABC get over its self or must it have the engine turning over?

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
Does lights on dash dim when you turn the key to start position? If so might be a bad earth? or bad battery connections? As pointed out hope you get a member or mobile diagnostic guy close to your location. I would have suggested turning engine over a bit by hand just like youve already done.

OP
lordgaz

lordgaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W220 S-Class S55 AMG 2000 / W220 S-Class S55K AMG 2003 / W163 ML270 / Jaguar XJR X350
that sounds a bit like the module you looked at isn't happy

perhaps a good going over on all connections especially any in the footwells?

shouldn't the ABC get over its self or must it have the engine turning over?

As an update - I have pulled out the SAM on the right side (as you look from the front of the engine, same side as the TCU) and there is no water ingress signs - however, I did pull the passenger side carpet, and found it quite wet under (probably from a blocked reed valve), but this suprised me as it had been under a cover all the time it was not being used - Maybe the water was trapped before I layed up the car, and condensation made it worse over the weeks.
I found that some of the connectors under the carpet were showing signs of corrosion due to this water, so cleaned them up - but still the issue persists.
I also swapped TCUs with an S320 (different part numbers, but only to see if the codes were still showing) and indeed the P2311 and P2312 codes were showing. - This may be a red herring, but hopefully the TCU is not damaged -
I am coming to the end of ideas now without a proper Star scan - so if anyone is local to me (even Birmingham way) I would happily pay for a diagnosis with the proper equipment.

Re: ABC - I presume that once it has sunk it needs the engine to re-pressurise.
The odd thing is that it was running fine before its lay up.

OP
lordgaz

lordgaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Does lights on dash dim when you turn the key to start position? If so might be a bad earth? or bad battery connections? As pointed out hope you get a member or mobile diagnostic guy close to your location. I would have suggested turning engine over a bit by hand just like youve already done.

Everything is fine in that respect - the battery is fresh, and the lights do not dim - Some anomalies I have noted just now when scanning with the MBII
1 - in the transmission data stream, it is showing engine speed as 750rpm (even though it is not on)
IMG_0046.jpg
2 - in the Engine data stream, it is showing this (even though I can insert and turn the key) - ECU issue?
IMG_0048.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0048.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg
    528 KB · Views: 4

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I did pull the passenger side carpet, and found it quite wet under...

I found that some of the connectors under the carpet were showing signs of corrosion due to this water, so cleaned them up - but still the issue persists.

the fact you have 750rpm with it turned off sounds like there's silly data running round the can bus and confusing the situation

I'm led to believe this location is a nightmare for water ingress on the 220 and the SLs of the same vintage and causes nightmares on the canbus system. it needs to be bone dry - I'd get a de-humidifier in there and plenty of ACF50 when its dry

sunroof drains blocked?

I don't think you need star - you just need it dry, so it sends valid data round the car to various modules to give the go ahead to crank

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
isn't it saying your immobilizer has been activated? Anything aftermarket fitted?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
For a good place to take it you're not that far from Steve at Avantgarde near Bristol.

OP
lordgaz

lordgaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
isn't it saying your immobilizer has been activated? Anything aftermarket fitted?

All standard. According to my scanner, drive authorisation is not being granted. I have a wet passenger footwell (or at least ‘had’ as I have dried it out).. I am now cleaning all the connectors (can bus etc) on the passenger side as there is some visible oxidation and hoping for the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
lordgaz

lordgaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
For a good place to take it you're not that far from Steve at Avantgarde near Bristol.

Thank you. I would really need someone to come to me.. it’s immovable unfortunately. Mercedes told me to call Mobilo.. are they RAC with a Mercedes hat on or Merc experts? Anyone have experience with Mobilo?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Thank you. I would really need someone to come to me.. it’s immovable unfortunately. Mercedes told me to call Mobilo.. are they RAC with a Mercedes hat on or Merc experts? Anyone have experience with Mobilo?

I believe they are now RAC

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
All standard. According to my scanner, drive authorisation is not being granted. I have a wet passenger footwell (or at least ‘had’ as I have dried it out).. I am now cleaning all the connectors (can bus etc) on the passenger side as there is some visible oxidation and hoping for the best

Most likely the air vent on your bonnet is blocked and overflowed into the cabin., This is a known fault leading to terminal damage...and was the subject of a successful class action in the US.

OP
lordgaz

lordgaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just to bookend this thread - The car has now been started - But not without a trip to Mercedes on a flatbed lorry :(
Seems I was very close to the solution, - I pulled the plug on my investigations just before I would find out the issue -
The corroded connectors under the carpet in the passenger footwell were cleaned well enough by myself - however I should have looked closer at a bunch of green can bus wires (all joined together with a sealing cap) under the compartment which has a rounded lid and what looks like a bike brake cable on top of it in a groove- - Had I looked at this I would have seen some more corrosion. Mercedes cut the wires back to a point where they were no longer corroded and rejoined them all - It starts! - And to be fair to the dealer, they gave a special hourly rate so it was not the end of the world with the cost.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom