W221 passenger footwell carpet wet after a drive?

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
So after no issues at all for some 2 years, suddenly the no crank/start, now the passenger footwell carpet is wet!

So I took the car for a 1 hour motorway jaunt today. Come home, cars been parked for a few hours and passenger side windscreen/side windows and rear window are condensed!

I lift the floor mat to find the passenger footwell carpet and rear passenger footwell wet! Drains were supposedly cleared but now I doubt it. What is odd is the amount of rains we’ve had over the last week the car has sat without issue, take it for a drive and this happens.

A week ago I lifted the mats etc to hoover up and out of habit I always feel the carpets and they were dry!

I’ve ordered some thin tubing to stuff down the drains but can those in the know advise further? Local Indy with which I’ve recently spent £3k can’t take a look until new year. I’m concerned at the electrics that may be beneath the carpets.

Cash waiting for anyone who knows what they are doing to help me out…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
You can always clean out leaves etc from under the hood, at the base of the windscreen. . .

Have you got a compressor ? If so, I'd try clearing the drains with air, rather than poking about with wire / tubing.

Richard Moakes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500; ML500
Also check the drain at the bottom of the cabin air intake plenum. If that doesn’t drain freely it can lead to water ingress via the cabin fan.

Look for water under the battery in the scuttle, if it’s wet there, then you may have issues with the scuttle drains at each corner of the windscreen.

OP
D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks guys. Mb centre did clear out a drain and said it was clogged but, they have probably either not done it well or as I instructed as it certainly doesn’t show on any of the invoices. The good thing is the battery was changed recently and it was bone dry there.

I don’t have an air compressor but that’s a good idea.

If it helps anyone I found this YouTube video that shows where the front drains are and interestingly it seems many in the know make modifications as the drains look stupid to what I have ever seen!

OP
D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Whilst this is a simple job sadly at present and for the foreseeable future I am reliant on mechanics so I will see if I can get someone over to do this before Xmas for me. The best I will be able to do at present is rod drains, pry out anything I can and wet vac my carpets.

Offer still open to anyone who can sort my drains for cash.

Last edited:
OP
D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I’m booked in with TWR racing my ultimate mechanic, for Xmas week and will buy a half car cover until then to help keep the rain off.

How the fvck any of this engineering gets approved is beyond me and confirms MB engineering is woeful. As I’ve always said if I was the CEO of these companies I’d outright shoot the offending staff at point blank range. It’s common sense, drain tubes should just go down and out, that’s all I’ve ever seen on older stuff and not get routed around with obvious issues.

Richard Moakes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500; ML500
I’m booked in with TWR racing my ultimate mechanic, for Xmas week and will buy a half car cover until then to help keep the rain off.

How the fvck any of this engineering gets approved is beyond me and confirms MB engineering is woeful. As I’ve always said if I was the CEO of these companies I’d outright shoot the offending staff at point blank range. It’s common sense, drain tubes should just go down and out, that’s all I’ve ever seen on older stuff and not get routed around with obvious issues.

It’s worse than you think, the sunroof drains exit high in the inner wing area and drop water onto the fibre undertray that covers the chassis rails. I found significant surface rust on my chassis rails caused by this on both sides of my C216.

Regular annual maintenance of all drains and application of rust prevention coatings in that area such as waxoyl, dynax etc. is an absolute must.

OP
D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have dynax and acf50 so I will take that to TWR with me even though they have same/similar, but thanks for pointing that out as I’d not think to do so. These recent issues are my absolute limit now.

Malcolm Johnson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 (M273) & W221 S350 bluetec
I tend to go down a simpler route December after all leaves have Fallen, I clean the blocked holes in the centre drain point. The two drain points each corner of the windscreen i push a throttle cable then a clutch cable and twist (From two stroke bike), if still blocked i push a small bore flexible tube into the water/larger drain pipe and blow. Been cleaning this way for 18 years. Has always worked.

Will also add i push up from the wheel arch vent with the cable as well

Last edited:

bladecrazy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
tesla model 3 performance /honda cd175/w123 300d gertrude.
It’s worse than you think, the sunroof drains exit high in the inner wing area and drop water onto the fibre undertray that covers the chassis rails. I found significant surface rust on my chassis rails caused by this on both sides of my C216.

Regular annual maintenance of all drains and application of rust prevention coatings in that area such as waxoyl, dynax etc. is an absolute must.
my w123 sunroof drains through the inner wing on to the lower wing and sill and when i took the wing of couldnt believe the rot it had caused.

OP
D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I’m seriously thinking of a Porsche Cayenne instead of this MB rubbish. I thought the w221 may have been slightly better engineered than all their usual rubbish but as I learn more, it’s clearly the same crap MB quality. This will be its final straw. Can’t believe it’s been epic for 2 years, I’ve maintained it over and above with evidence to prove and now in just a couple of weeks it goes in for a service and comes back fvcked.

It will be shame if it goes as other than this, it’s a healthy car and the family loves wafting in it. It’s also got space for proper adults in the back unlike many saloons and SUVs.

Richard Moakes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500; ML500
I’m seriously thinking of a Porsche Cayenne instead of this MB rubbish. I thought the w221 may have been slightly better engineered than all their usual rubbish but as I learn more, it’s clearly the same crap MB quality. This will be its final straw. Can’t believe it’s been epic for 2 years, I’ve maintained it over and above with evidence to prove and now in just a couple of weeks it goes in for a service and comes back fvcked.

It will be shame if it goes as other than this, it’s a healthy car and the family loves wafting in it. It’s also got space for proper adults in the back unlike many saloons and SUVs.

Had a 2005 Cayenne 955 3.2L

Neediest car I have ever owned, every startup was accompanied with a beep, feed me petrol, water, air etc.

Only car I ever got in and never doubted it would start or get me where I wanted to go was a Lexus LS400, but there was a risk of dying of boredom driving it

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250

It does beggar belief that in 2023 benz can't keep water out of so many models of thier cars.. Right now I have water comming out of my tailgate close switch. Waiting on issue as result . R230 a class example of a premium car benz can't keep dry. Days gone they wud get concerned and do something now they just don't care. And where do they put electrics!!? Yup. In The footwell, drains block, default, fill floor, no maker back up plan, most owners won't notice until too late and electrical damage done. Dtf.

Reactions: DSK
OP
D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Had a 2005 Cayenne 955 3.2L

Neediest car I have ever owned, every startup was accompanied with a beep, feed me petrol, water, air etc.

Only car I ever got in and never doubted it would start or get me where I wanted to go was a Lexus LS400, but there was a risk of dying of boredom driving it

Yep got one of those old LS400s in the family and it’s a peaceful ownership experience as well as a lovely ambience experience. Sadly the boredom that it shows, is how seriously good they are!

If I get the Cayenne (looked at a 2009 model iirc and it’s been unsold for 3 years!) it will be the full fat turbo around 2015. At least it will fit in a ****** car park too.

For me my Volvos are ace but the S70R is too special and my C70 very rare now but, not ideal with a very young child. Again Supra is too rare and special to take out and risk letting morons crash into it. Money can’t sadly replace these few! I just walk up to them and there’s no rust, they start and drive better than new and again have never let me down in 20yrs. They have always been worked on by a select few individuals around the country and me til this date, no large garages or any hands I wouldn’t recognise have touched them.

Last edited:

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I use net curtain wire to rod out the drains on mine. Recently removed them and blasted them through with a hose pipe. (They clip in place, but did need removal of the battery on the one side).
Air intake for the heater has a drain hole underneath that is often missed, as you need to pop off the grill to get to it.

Top Bottom