1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W221 Rear speed sensor/reluctor ring issue

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by RoyRogers, Jul 31, 2020.

1. RoyRogers

RoyRogers New Member

Your Mercedes:
    W221 2007 320cdi
    I've just had the usual ABS/ESP warning light & diagnostics said to check the rear right speed sensor.
    After checking and replacing the sensor the fault remained so I purchased a new reluctor ring but before changing it I put it on my lathe and tested the new sensor with my multimeter and all seemed to be working +/- 40mv ac. After replacing the reluctor ring on the car I did the same test on the car and got no reading, took the car for a run (being hopeful) but ABS/ESP lit up again on the dash.
    I'm not sure what i'm missing here and wondered if anyone else has had this issue.
    Thanks in advance

2. Botus

Botus Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S500/2010/500
    on this model its recommended you change both sensors as a pair - they ALL die to time circa 9 years old

on mine the error message would not clear until I set a destination in the sat nav then it was all back to normal within 200 yards

bembo449 and malcolm210 like this.
  3. OP
    RoyRogers

RoyRogers New Member

Your Mercedes:
    W221 2007 320cdi
    Thanks Botus
    I'll give that a try. I've never had to replace both sides at the same time although probably a good idea.

4. Botus

Botus Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S500/2010/500
    yes only one fails but the Merc document on repair, specifies always replacing both at the same time.

bembo449 likes this.
  5. OP
    RoyRogers

RoyRogers New Member

Your Mercedes:
    W221 2007 320cdi
    UPDATE
    I purchased another sensor and after fitting, my diagnostics showed that I now had a fault on the left side. As I never had a problem before, I realised that the issue was with the sensors. I have now purchased 2 new sensors direct from Mercedes and all is working as it should. One new issue I had when both sensors were showing as faulty is that my steering went very heavy.

bembo449 likes this.
  6. Botus

Botus Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S500/2010/500