W246 pulling to the left, steering wheel with negative degrees (to the left), and wheel alignment didn't fix the issue.

Icaro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
b-class180/2012/diesel
I have a class B W246-200 that tends to go to the left. The story is the following:

- Changed front wheels, new. State: The car goes to the left as soon as the steering wheel is released, the steering wheel turns to the left visibly.

- Aligned the wheels. State: as well as the previous

- The position of the front wheels were changed, the left one with the right one and vice versa. State: Without changes, the incidence persists. The wheels were aligned after this change again.

- Pressures? The pressures are correct in all pneumatic ones.

Observations or test that I have done:

I put the car on a straight line, with good asphalt, the brake floor and put the car in neutral. With the xentry connected to the OBD2, put the steering wheel at 0.0 degrees, that is, totally aligned, as it should be. I put d (drive), without touching the accelerate steering wheel, the car goes away (depending on how much the is the speed), the steering wheel is turned to the left, minimum -2.5 to -.2.7 degrees, reaching sometimes (I don't know whether as the asphalt and fall from it or by the brake effect) to -3.0 -3.1 degrees.

I have repeated this test several times in several ways of the line where I have done tests, the results are consistent. Currently: for the car to go straight you have to be exerting strength to the right. Other observations: - The brake pads are relatively new, the last year changed, I have not had noise problems and the discs, those of all the wheels have a uniform expense. - However, if I have observed that the disc of the left front wheel is more hotter than the right wheel.

I do not know the origin of the issue, I do not know if it is the brake and the brake clamp that does not work well and applies -maybe -straight pressure that causes the temperature to rise or if it is the wheel bearing that is screwed and applies heat to the brake assembly.

- Time ago I hit a hole in the asphalt with the left front wheel, I do not know if that has spoiled something. - The tires have no fractures and have been balanced.

- A cyclic vibration associated with the rhythm of the march is noticeable, the more speed more frequency in the vibration observed in the steering wheel.

- The Xentry says that the direction sensor is working ok, without failure. Noises? Nothing that I could say .. there is something broken or that squeak. If it is true that I notice a certain background sound as a driving, but I would not know how It would happen ignored, but persistent.

In the past I took the car to the official service of Mercedes, the answer could not be more surreal and unprofessional: it is normal, all the Mercedes do it.

I rent cars for travel issues, from different brands, and I never saw car doing like that.

Is there someone from the forum who has gone through the same?

Any suggestion or test to do? If the bearing were screwed in the left front wheel, if I remove the brake pad and the caliper, I understand that the disk would not turn well and the test would be conclusive, is it correct?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Chassis alignment is not being done correctly.

Rear needs to be done first, then the front. Quick places that ignore the rear will cause this

OP
I

Icaro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
b-class180/2012/diesel
Chassis alignment is not being done correctly.

Rear needs to be done first, then the front. Quick places that ignore the rear will cause this

I am not an expert on alignment, but they were using that matching with laser on each wheel.
They adjusted all the wheels, am I missing anything?

pikeg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold My Mercedes
I had a kind of similar problem when I bought my C Class.. On driving it home I noticed my steering wheel wasn't quite straight (was turned very slightly left even in a straight line ahead) and like you it did pull to the left just a tad.

I initially put it down to the front tyres being different brands.. However a few months on a tapping sound started from the front passenger side.. I took to a friend whos an MOT tester and he popped it in the air for me, he poked around and couldn't see anything at first, he brought the car back down a bit and put his torch in the passenger wheelarch and with that he says.. "I found your tapping sound" whilst he pulls out a chunk of my coil spring!

So it may be worth checking the coils too, since I got new springs the steering wheel is straight again with no noises :)

OP
I

Icaro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
b-class180/2012/diesel
The before and after printout showing which changes were made?
I had a kind of similar problem when I bought my C Class.. On driving it home I noticed my steering wheel wasn't quite straight (was turned very slightly left even in a straight line ahead) and like you it did pull to the left just a tad.

I initially put it down to the front tyres being different brands.. However a few months on a tapping sound started from the front passenger side.. I took to a friend whos an MOT tester and he popped it in the air for me, he poked around and couldn't see anything at first, he brought the car back down a bit and put his torch in the passenger wheelarch and with that he says.. "I found your tapping sound" whilst he pulls out a chunk of my coil spring!

So it may be worth checking the coils too, since I got new springs the steering wheel is straight again with no noises :)

I need to check the suspension, but, aside from the visual inspection, is there any other test to run on it? any specific machine to test it or similar?
I did a review time ago and I didn't see anything unusual.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Whilst after is better than before, they still are not in spec. The caster will not be helping, although I suspect when you get the camber in spec, that will sort the caster.

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
If you live anywhere near Chesham, go to Wheels in Motion, their chap Steve is a wizard with MBs, get a full geometry, inc new adjustable camber bolts (give them your VIN when you book)

Top Bottom