W639 Vito 113 Tune Up ???

Motozone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2004, W639 Vito Dual 113cdi 2011
Hi, my Vito is a bit breathless and feels overgeared. I fitted a £50 inline box which is a notable improvement but a little unsophisticated when compared with a stock 116.

Has anyone had success with other options I.e specific box or remap?

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
It's generally considered that the boxws that are plugen in line to the fuel reail sensor over fuel, pump out more smoke and give very little, if any, improved performance.
I have only experience of 2 boxes that were for economy, in theory.
One I bought and after a while sold it on as a placebo box,
another came in the Jeep at purchase and I did the same with that.

A remap would be my suggestion. I'm sure GAD will advise fo the benefits.
Oh, to add, my 115 was apparently remapped at new some 304k miles ago. although no sports car it gets on with it nicely.

Last edited:
OP
M

Motozone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2004, W639 Vito Dual 113cdi 2011
Yes, I know success varies with boxes. We have one on our espace and it works very well. The one on the Vito works but not as well. Perhaps they can be swapped to see as the Bosch systems seem to have the same plugs. My guess is they are much the same inside at the cheapo end of the box marketplace.

Seems you haven't tried a box or map on your 115 to compare. As a newbie to the forum I've not seen many similar threads. Do you recall any other vitoers going down this route?

Incidentally the MB place where I bought it 3 odd years ago said its all the same as the 116 version (including gear ratios) bar the ecu map! A profitable upsell for MB then!

Thanks Simon

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
No I don't feel a need for a box as I am informed it had been remapped. Mapped for power or economy I don't know but even economy maps seem to give more power / torque.
If I were looking for better economy or more power from the C320 I would only consider a map after the 2 boxes that weren't of value and from others experience here.

I've not driven any other Vito's so can't compare, it feels spritely enough and hauls up our hills well. I take it easy cruising at 65(ish) on the M'way and can achieve 37mpg over a tankful. As it's auto I'm happy enough with that. It tows my boat easily enough bit economy falls to about 33mpg then.

There are plenty of discussion here about remaps but usually for cars, but it's the same engine as other 2.2 CDI's so results should be comparable. GAD seems to tailor a map to your own requirements, maybe for you a balance between extra torque and economy might suit.

You have the same engine as the more powerful versions, although I think injectors might have been improved with time. A map should bring you up to the power of the 116 or better. The ratios of your diff will be different so the overall result is for easier acceleration with the revs of yours being a little more than the 116 when cruising, but of course the same as the revs are now, just easier getting there.

Last edited:

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom