Want to replace/cover wooden dash trim

Agentkitten

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230
Hi all,

Just became a MB owner over the weekend (woo-hoo!), and am now proud driver of a 2000 CLK 230 (or W208?).

LOVE IT :D

Anyhoo, am considering changing the dash trim which appears to be Burlwood(?) to brushed aluminium and haven't a clue how to go about it. So far I've seen 2 companies that manufacture W208 dash trims; Sherwood and B&I. Neither appear to include the long horizontal strip that goes across the top of the dash in their schematics, and I also don't know whether the trim kit is expected to be stuck over the trim that's there or not. Terrified of getting this wrong and it looking horribily obvious and cheap (although I'm sure there are a number of people who think that I'm crazy for wanting to change it in the 1st place!).

Has anyone done this? Have already tried to search the forums :confused:

Thanks in advance,
AK

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Welcome to the forum :D:D Pleased that you love the car,,they are so nice.

Can you give some detail of the kit that you want to fit

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
I would expect a trim kit to come with fitting instructions..

OP
A

Agentkitten

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230
Thanks very much for the welcome and the replies. I've attached a picture of what I'm thinking about changing. There are 10 pieces:

- Driver & passenger-side seat adjustment surround (circled in picture)
- Strip along both driver & passenger-side doors
- Strip at the top of the dash that runs the full width of the windscreen
- Surround for temperature control panel
- Cover for ashtray and cigarette lighter area
- Surround for gearshift (2 pieces)
- Cover for storage area

The kits that I've come across don't include the strip at the top of the dash, are for left-hand drives, and are in 2D so I would be concerned about the moulded pieces (strips along the doors, strip at the top of dash, covers, outer surround for gearshift).

Has anybody done this before on these forums? Or does anyone have an opinion that they could share? I'm sure the kits come with instructions alright, but I'd love to hear about anyone's experience doing it.

Thanks!
media.jpg

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes I know the ones that you want to fit,,would I put them in that car = they will always look plastic, they can come off in the sun if the car gets too hot inside, the LHD does not help and limits what you can use. You may still see the wood around the edges

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
First question to ask is was your model ever offered with Alu trim? If so, then the dealers or breakers would be your answer. Dealer parts will be very expensive and breakers very hit 'n miss as to avalability.

What ever you do don't fit an aftermarket kit for all the reasons Malcolm mentions..

BTW, I changed mine from Alu-Linear to Birdseye Maple, dealer parts, cost approx £800! And mine is one of the cheaper models....

OP
A

Agentkitten

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230
Wow - V. glad I asked! Def won't touch it with aftermarket pieces. Will look into the brokers and dealers, but I'd imagine that £800 is a bit too much for a bit of trim at the moment. Hadn't planned on spending that!

Thanks so much for the help and advice everyone ;)

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Wow - V. glad I asked! Def won't touch it with aftermarket pieces. Will look into the brokers and dealers, but I'd imagine that £800 is a bit too much for a bit of trim at the moment. Hadn't planned on spending that!

Thanks so much for the help and advice everyone ;)

Good question and welcome to the forum you now know where to come in the future for sound advice, best of luck in your search for the replacement trim:cool:.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thats what I did

Picture672.jpg

Picture686-1.jpg

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
that looks very slick Malcolm! what paint did you use on your trims?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just flatted the walnut with 1000 paper, and 1 black coat, flat with 1500, then 2 coats of 2 pack plastic floor paint, each flatted with 1500 in between,, it goes touch dry in 2 mins.
Leave it to cure for 24 hours,flat again with 1500 and then polish with T cut, then plastic polish

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
floor paint eh? id never have thought of that! it does look great though. almost as though it was standard fit, the finish looks so good! incidentally, can you recommend a decent plastic polish? and where to get it from? my headlight lenses need a bit of a re-furb as they almost failed the mot last year!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes plastic 2 pack is hard , and will withstand boiling water.

"Mothers" do a good plastic polish,,that I also used on 129 soft windows

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
any idea where i can get hold of some?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
cheers Malcolm. that would be great!

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom