Wanted W203 Wiring Diagram - number plate lights failed

jvoelcker

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to find some wiring diagrams for a 2002 C180 K Avantgarde Se which I think is a W203 model.

I don't have any power to the number plate lights and actually both sides of the circuit seems to be going to earth so would like to know rough routing before I go stripping the interior away.

Thanks.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Would the wires to your number plate light, run from the body, to the boot lid ?.This is a likley place to look first .The bending fractures the wires inside the loom .Now i dont know if this damage to the wires problem will be the same on your car .But if number plate lights are on the boot lid it stands a chance .

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Some years ago I was chasing red herrings with the rear plate light. The lamp holder was faulty and would only be provided with power from the SAM for a brief time when the ignition was switched on. The SAM seeing a fault would then disconnect the feed.

These lamp holders are a problem when they deteriorate.

OP
J

jvoelcker

Reaction score
Would the wires to your number plate light, run from the body, to the boot lid ?.This is a likley place to look first .The bending fractures the wires inside the loom .Now i dont know if this damage to the wires problem will be the same on your car .But if number plate lights are on the boot lid it stands a chance .

Thanks, I'll check that, but would be handy to know where they are actually routed in the cabin so that i can get to the other end.

OP
J

jvoelcker

Reaction score
Some years ago I was chasing red herrings with the rear plate light. The lamp holder was faulty and would only be provided with power from the SAM for a brief time when the ignition was switched on. The SAM seeing a fault would then disconnect the feed.

These lamp holders are a problem when they deteriorate.

Ah, OK so the SAM is the side of the computer that checks that the bulbs are working - not used to this modern wizardry :)

The holders are OK, but the bulbs were corroded so all cleaned up, but both sides of the circuit were showing as being earthed which is unusual.

It would be handy to have access to the manual to test further.

Thanks.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
The sam would not just look after the number plate lights it would be included with some other item on the car like side lights .

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
With keys out are both sides of the lamp holder still to -ve?
I would want to eliminate a short duration feed of 12 volts to the lamp holder when the lights are switched on.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
JVOE remove the conectors from the sam unit spray with Servisol to get a better contact .Do it on all the plugs you can see going in and out of the sam .

OP
J

jvoelcker

Reaction score
With keys out are both sides of the lamp holder still to -ve?
I would want to eliminate a short duration feed of 12 volts to the lamp holder when the lights are switched on.
Not tried that, but will. Thanks.

OP
J

jvoelcker

Reaction score
JVOE remove the conectors from the sam unit spray with Servisol to get a better contact .Do it on all the plugs you can see going in and out of the sam .
OK, will give that a go, although where are they?

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom