water leaking into battery compartment s210

d norton

Reaction score
I just lifted up rear seat compartment in my w210/s210, (which houses the battery and fuses) and discovered about 2cm deep of water. I cant see where the water could be coming from but as u can imagine i'm more than alarmed. Any ideas? (pic attached)

Attachments

• leak 1.jpg
    leak 1.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 73

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
The door seals can allow water to run down to the bottom of the door and if it builds up enough it may find its way into the car. My estate occasionally does this but the water doesn't manage to find its way into the car but drops out as the door is opened after a downpour.

You may need a new door seal.

OP
D

d norton

Reaction score
maybe this might be a clue.....in the picture there is a clear drain hose which leads outside the car but is connected to nothing inside the car....any ideas where this hose should be connected? maybe the sunroof?? (where should the end that is should attach, be located? i cant see any obvious place, maybe underneath or around the battery?)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
IIRC the clear hose on my 210 is connected to the battery for venting.

Ultymate

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230K Estate 1998
Yup it's there to vent any hydrogen outside the vehicle, if your battery does'nt have the fitting for the vent then someone at some stage in the life of the car has fitted the wrong battery all batteries fitted inside the car ie in the passenger copartment should for safety reasons be vented externally.

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
On looking at the picture, the battery looks quite small. It doesn't look original so I wonder if it was installed correctly?

OP
D

d norton

Reaction score
looks like its back to the drawing board regarding the leak!!

robs-mbz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E300TD
Strange one! My E300TD had rust under the back seat in exactly the same position but no sign of water, I put it down to an acid leak in the past, maybe it was water after all. Can't see where it could have come in though. Will have another look tomorrow.

OP
D

d norton

Reaction score
my personal hunch is that maybe the sunroof drains bring the water down to somewhere in the region. The car hasnt been driven in over a week and is sitting on an incline on my drive of about 15degrees (front wheels up). The alarming bit is how deep the water has gotten, nearly up to the fuses!!

OP
D

d norton

Reaction score
im replacing the radiator in the next week or so coz it's sprung a leak at the top corner, wonder could the water make it's way down that far in the car??

C220GJS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W202 C220 Elegance
Now you're kidding:) .Regarding your sunroof the drains go down through the AandC pillars(windscreen and rear window) and exit through the sills,if you feel under the sills at the front and rear you will be able to feel the rubber connectors.

OP
D

d norton

Reaction score
mystery solved!!

Thanx everyone, finally got it sorted. The sunroof drain on the leftthand c-pillar of the car was clogged. Stuck a screw driver in there and water ran out for five minutes!!! Oh thatsd me ready for me next merc mystery/misery!

C220GJS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W202 C220 Elegance
Didn't actually think it was that,glad you got it sorted. Last summer I noticed a drip from the offside front drain in the sill, just poked my finger in it and it ran for ages , there must have been about a couple of pints of water in there but I had no leakage into the car.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom