Wet carpets in rear of SL500

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Hi

Just found out that the carpet behind the driver's seat in the SL are soaked!

My son was convinced that he left a dry hoody in there and when I found it some time later it was soaked - I thought he'd just left it there like that and he was equally convinced that he hadn't.

Anyway, that was a couple of weeks ago and today I thought I'd just check - reached down and sure enough the carpets are wet. Just on the driver's side, the passenger side seems fine.

Thing is, the car has never smelt damp and I (luckily) haven't had any warning lights or issues with any electrics and so on.

I'd like to get to the bottom of it, but am not sure where to start!

Also (in case its related), I've noticed that after it rains very heavily, i can see a couple of drops of water on the rear side area, just by the small window - resting on the little platform that forms the side - not sure where that is coming from either.

I have noticed that the car is often steamed up inside if I drive it and then come back to it after a while, with the carpets being wet that makes sense now. It was mostly on the rear screen that I'd notice it, but also on the front too. Especially when the weather has been cold and I've had the heating on in the car.

Anyway,

1. What do you think could be causing the carpets to get wet like that?
2. How do I stop it / fix it?
3. What's the best way to dry things out?

Thanks a lot!

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Is it yr everyday motor ? Get a domestic dehumidifier in there and dry it out . Check out top corner of drivers door window. Put mummies hair dryer up against window there ON COLD! See if you can feel breeze inside at that area. Alt use hose from outside. I was lucky my sl had no leak but many do. Frankly the more yr car seems to cost the more chance of wet carpets ?

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Yes its my everyday car.

When you say domestic dehumidifier, do you mean an electric one? We have one we've used in the past to help dry out walls etc. I could plug that and leave the window open a little for the cable.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Yup electric .unless the power cable is really thick I think u will find you can still close the door .I never had issue place cable near bottom rear corner of door. Seat full back mine sits well there p/s floor

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Thanks, will set that up and hopefully be able to close the door. So passenger seat forward and place dehumidifier on the floor, yes?

Also, just had a look in the boot and can see that there it was a little damp by the pump. I had placed some tissue right on the boot floor a while back and that had become a little damp and the foam under the pump was a little wet too. The foam above the pump was mostly ok, but a little damp in places.

I can't remember if the lower piece of foam is enclosing anything or if the pump is just sitting on it?

Quick pic below:

LMPZBZa.jpg

I think this is more to do with the seal on the rear window as when it rains really hard, the towel I've placed there gets damp (and t was damp today). That part of the seal wasn't in great condition when I did the leak fix a couple of years ago.

Also, I had a look at the seals around the quarter-window and when I pulled the black rubber part back (inside the car) and the next part (the one that is more furry, best description I can come up with) they were a little damp underneath. Does it make sense that the water is getting in there and making it's way to the carpet?

Quick pic below:

5IbUXIe.jpg

Cheers

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
When did you last apply Gummi Pflege to the seals in the roof? Could be worth a try. Also if you push down on the top rear section of the roof does it move much, if so maybe adjusting the front roof lockdown points will tighten it up a bit.

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Gummi Pflege is one of the jobs on my list - last did it a while back and can hear more squeaks now than usual so have been meaning to do it.

Pressing down on the rear section of the roof doesn't budge at all.

The dehumidifier is plugged in and on - will leave that to run and see how it is before I go to bed. Empty it if needed and leave it running. It stops when full anyway.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I take it car is now in garage or covered area.?

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
I take it car is now in garage or covered area.?

No, it’s on the drive. I don’t have a covered area to put it under and the garage is full of stuff.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Then if u get it dried out you may need to pack out the door rubber at the top corner to get it to seal.or temp tape up top corner.if outside in current weather drying it out may be difficult.

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Then if u get it dried out you may need to pack out the door rubber at the top corner to get it to seal.or temp tape up top corner.if outside in current weather drying it out may be difficult.

Thanks.
I checked before I went to bed yesterday and there was some water in the dehumidifier, but not much. That was after 8 hours of being on.
Will have a look in a bit to see what the situation is but from looking outside, I can see that the windows are completely clear whereas the other cars are all frosted.
I know it’s not ideal keeping it outside but that is the only option I have, especially if I want to keep the dehumidifier plugged in.
When you talk about the top corner of the seal, are you referring to where it meets the front window?
Do you think this could be the cause of the wet carpets?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Could be.. But as u use car as, daily taping up window corner seems an inconvenient option?
Also u have water getting into other places, boot. It's difficult to resolve until spring or u can keep it covered. Suggest a waterproof car cover and then tape outside window corner at nights with dehumidifier in car until 2 days after nothing collected. Tho I had no leaks I put a bit of polystyrene sheet in a zip bag and pushed that under pse pump in boot to ensure that come whatever the pump remained dry. Also a good time to check yr blade key works in boot and door locks. They are often sized thru lack of use. Then if u get pump prob or key fob issue u can't get in boot. Not funny.

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Thanks. I might just have to take this to someone to get it resolved. Maybe someone like Star or Wayne Gates?

I’ll check the blade key in a sec. Good call on that.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A number of good indies about and reccomeded on here if u don't have time, inclination to resolve yrself. Frankly I would not keep an sl if I could not garage it. Seems more car costs, more likely water gets in. That and half the brains on floor not a good combination for keeping motor outside. Good luck.

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Quick update:
- Dehumidifier emptied - only a couple of inches of water in it and carpets still wet. Left in on and in car.
- Blade keys work. Bit stiff so squirted some lubricant into key-holes and much better now.
- Seals all look tight, nothing obvious anyway.
- Despite the dehumidifier being on, there is a little condensation in the corner of the driver's side quarter window - pic attached. Does this lend anything to things? Bit more insight into what could be getting the carpets wet?

EXt4LsR.jpg

@ajlsl600 - could you show me on the picture where you recommend adding some tape or bulking up the seal?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Tape some kitchen roll inside across joint between dr window n rear small window ,see if its wet after next rain.o suspect area where rear left to right seal meets seal running above windows just behind ds door window .leave dehumidifier until all damp sucked up.help by heat directed at floor when car in use. Misting in areas may indicate where damp getting sucked in by dehumidifier.doubtvyouvwill resolve completely while car not covered.

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Thanks! Looking for somewhere I can leave it covered. Not looking like it’ll rain for a few days which is good.
I can leave it under cover at my mums but she doesn’t have any power outside so won’t be able to leave the dehumidifier running overnight.
If it is the seals that you mention then maybe best to just replace them?

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Right, been out and applied the tape to the seal outside and also taped up some kitchen towel to the inside where the two windows join as suggested.

I used Duck tape outside, sticking it to the rubber seal and the window. As soon as I had applied the first piece and pressed it down, some water trickled out around the corner joint - where the window meets the C pillar. So now I've applied tape all along the side window from the back corner to where it meets the main window and a little along the back edge. Pic below so you can see what I'm talking about. You should be able to see the water collecting in the corner and going down the side of the car.

Seeing as the water came out when the tape was applied, I'm inclined to think it is the seals that are at fault here - the seals at the top of the window as opposed to the ones at the bottom. That same area was a little wet inside when I checked initially and corresponds to where I found a few drop of water on the window sill as well.

Dehumidifier still running, added a pan of rice too just for extra help. Think I might put the dehumidifier behind the drivers seat next as that is where the water is and it might dry quicker.

Does anyone know if you can buy the seals for just that part or do they only come as a pack for the entire roof?

Cheers

WN6Qazl.jpg

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sometimes u can get a bit of 4-5 mm rubber vac pipe pushed intovthe seal to pack it out once u know where to put it.buyin new seal would be 1 option of last resort 2,only when I was certain I had found THE cause.good luck.

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Sometimes u can get a bit of 4-5 mm rubber vac pipe pushed intovthe seal to pack it out once u know where to put it.buyin new seal would be 1 option of last resort 2,only when I was certain I had found THE cause.good luck.

Thanks. I’ll see how it goes over the next couple of days. Might need to use the car tomorrow so will be sure to whack the heating on full and to the floor.
Just checked dehumidifier again - maybe an inch of water in the tank so just left it on.
This is looking like an issue I’m going to need to take it to someone with plenty more experience than me to have a look at.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom