Wet weather problem 124 series

emimec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 124 series 260e, 1992 124 series 260e (written off, used as spares), 1991 260e 124 series
I seem to have a 260e that is shy of puddles !!!

Cant avoid sometimes driving through a puddle on the kerbside of the road, if there is too much water in said puddle, my engine looses power, I would say it cuts out, but recovers very quickly as puddles are not too big, I'm sure a longer stretch of water would cause a complete stop of the engine.

I did the usual, sprayed everything with WD40, but it still happens.

I had previously fitted new leads, BERU silicone I think, and dont recal anytthing being loose.

As the electrics are "high" up, cant see how water gets in.

Any ideas please
Bob

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
I seem to have a 260e that is shy of puddles !!!...... I would say it cuts out, but recovers very quickly
Any ideas please
Bob
Hi
If it recovers quickly, then I dont think it is a water issue.
I think there is a loose electrical connection that is made worse by the jolt. What happens if you go through the pothole when there is no water in it ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
WD40 is not good sprayed over everything, there are better products

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
Its more likely you have a wiring insulation problem somewhere where the water provides a convenient path to earth. Go through a deep puddle and the entire car electrical system experiences a high current drain to earth somewhere which drops the system voltage down a couple of volts- The engine electrics wont like that and hence the rough running till normal voltage is restored. I take it the plastic undertray/cover under the engine is still in place---- on some cars they break/fall off and are never replaced---- they have both an aerodynamic function and stop alot of water from entering the engine compartment.

OP
E

emimec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 124 series 260e, 1992 124 series 260e (written off, used as spares), 1991 260e 124 series
Apologies for the delay in replying, festive stuff got in the way.

The car does have the under tray in place. Normal bumps in potholes does not cause a problem, its only wet weather, and usually going through a puddle on the nearside, like a puddle in the kerb side of the road. Having said that, just before christamas, driving down a dark country road, I didnt see until too late, the whole road was flooded, and drove straight through the lot, car died immediately, took about 20 mins to get her going, again, a liberal spray of WD40 on all engine electrics, and eventually she fired up.

I cant see any obvious poor connections apart from the rubber boot is half off the main Alternator connection.

Suggestions have been the crank sensor on the front pulley ? or sucking in water to the air intake ? Or fuel pump electrics.

I guess the only way to test is to get the car up on a ramp and blast it with a jet wash spray and see where it faulters.

Whatever it is, its a real pain, frightened to go out in the car at the momment due to having had so much rain.
bob

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
I wonder if the belt is slightly loose & slipping on those front pulleys, which drive
alternator etc etc

OP
E

emimec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks
I hadnt noticed any screaming sounds I had with other cars and slipping belts, but having had the head gasket done a while ago, its a possibillity worth looking at.

But would this cause the engine to stop, surely the battery would supply any missing power ? ?

Bob

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom