What I don't like about this Mercedes car.

GarbageOverlord

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280/1998/M112
Well, having acquired the car for scrap money, and driven it for approx 700 miles, I am therefore fully qualified to list all the things I don't like about it...:)

* The rust. Something it seems they were known for, hence probably why I haven't seen another one of this model for years. I've never had a car with such a rusty bonnet, I'm sure the grill is going to fall out one day. Still it is 25 years old, so...

* The difficulty in obtaining a second key - so if this one breaks I'm done for:confused:

* The ventilation system randomly blasts boiling hot air even when it's set to cold - marvelous on a hot sunny day. :rolleyes:

* The floor mounted parking brake is horrid

* Bronze window trims. Whoever thought that was a good look?

And that's about it really.

I'm actually very impressed with this car, it's very nice to drive and travel in. I shall have technical questions no doubt, but for such an old, emergency purchase car, it's really quite surprising.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Could well be the w210 was the demise

OP
GarbageOverlord

GarbageOverlord

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280/1998/M112
Yup, it's a W210.

Interestingly, I've just had a conversation with a Mercedes Dealer, to enquire about a spare key - the spotty yoof on the phone said "1998! Wow - that's older than me!"

I pointed out this car doesn't have touch screens or Android auto, and has strange things like switches on the dashboard...he was shocked...:eek:

PaulG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E-Class W211 E240 Elegance
Well, having acquired the car for scrap money, and driven it for approx 700 miles, I am therefore fully qualified to list all the things I don't like about it...:)

* The rust. Something it seems they were known for, hence probably why I haven't seen another one of this model for years. I've never had a car with such a rusty bonnet, I'm sure the grill is going to fall out one day. Still it is 25 years old, so...

* The difficulty in obtaining a second key - so if this one breaks I'm done for:confused:

* The ventilation system randomly blasts boiling hot air even when it's set to cold - marvelous on a hot sunny day. :rolleyes:

I'm actually very impressed with this car, it's very nice to drive and travel in. I shall have technical questions no doubt, but for such an old, emergency purchase car, it's really quite surprising.
Please add photos of the car to this thread.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014

- There's a forum supporter that may be able to help you with a second key. That said keys are getting difficult to obtain for any prestige marque for this age of vehicle without recourse to visiting a dealer.
- Ventilation issues typically caused by sticking duo-valves, have a search on here.
- Foot operated parking brake, becomes second nature, probably more of an issue with a manual car than an automatic.
- Bronze window trims? I recall that trim levels, classic, elegance and avantgarde gave different colour window tint (clear, brown and green) but don't recall window trims in anything other than silver - maybe a replacement part.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
25 yo with rust - not the cars fault.
A mechanical issues wrt heating.

Otherwise you love the car.....

OP
GarbageOverlord

GarbageOverlord

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280/1998/M112
25 yo with rust - not the cars fault.
A mechanical issues wrt heating.

Otherwise you love the car.....
Apologies, my understated humour doesn't always translate via text very well:rolleyes:. No offense intended to anyone who really loves their car.

In a round about way, that's what I was actually trying to say - I really do like this car. I haven't enjoyed a car so much in a long time.

To me this is how a car should be. The suspension actually isolates the occupants from the potholes, like it's supposed to. The gearbox has proper "creep" for manuvering - and I'm not referring to the person behind the wheel. The engine responds lustily and sounds wonderful.

This car takes me back to my days of big Rovers, Jaguar's, etc.

All of this came as a surprise given that I didn't even test drive it beforehand.

The only issue I've had so far is the need to replace the drive belt and a tension roller, very cheap repair.

Pictures as requested...

OP
GarbageOverlord

GarbageOverlord

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280/1998/M112

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
If you are close to Birmingham, give RMK a call. £150+vat for a new black plastic key programmed to your car.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
If your close to the south we can also do the keys, same price.

Heating issue will be a sticking duo valve, you can get a repair kit for them, it's not too bad.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
£150 for a key - that’s more than he paid for the car :shock:

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
£150 for a key - that’s more than he paid for the car :shock:
He did well. The cats would be worth that on their own.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
I bet he'd be happy with the price of the Duo valve, I paid £37 from Grangemouth for mine :)

OP
GarbageOverlord

GarbageOverlord

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280/1998/M112
I bet he'd be happy with the price of the Duo valve, I paid £37 from Grangemouth for mine :)
Er, steady on lads, less of the big spending please - I've ordered a duo valve refurb kit for £8, none of your profligate £37 nonsense here! There's a cost of living crisis don't you know...:D

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Priceless........:D

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Looks a nice car pity it hasn’t the leather interior the black leather interior on my long gone S210 would have lasted the car out twice, possibly not too late to find a donor car and upgrade yours if you intend keeping it

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom