What will happen to off-roading & remote travel when the ICE is gone?

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Where will I plug in my electric Landcruiser?

Having done extensive off roading and remote camping in Africa and Australia as well as working in remote locations elsewhere I’ve been wondering about how people are going to be able to have these adventures in the future?

Larkone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 CLS 320CDI 2008
Where will I plug in my electric Landcruiser?

Having done extensive off roading and remote camping in Africa and Australia as well as working in remote locations elsewhere I’ve been wondering about how people are going to be able to have these adventures in the future?
Big diesel generator in the back. In the UK you can run backup generators on red diesel, would be interesting to see the figures v our expensive leccy supplies.

or

1692778325440.png

Last edited:

Larkone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 CLS 320CDI 2008
There will be petrol & diesel cars and trucks in 3rd world for next 50 years.
Their issue will be as the the 1st world weans itself off oil then petrol and diesel will get increasingly expensive to produce as the global quantities fall and the reduction in economies of scale start to impact. I can see many (hot) 3rd world countries embracing solar potentially quicker than the rest of the world because of the increasing cost of oil based products. China is pushing its influence hard into African countries and they make most of the worlds solar panels and storage batteries.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Most people do not need extended off road capability in the UK. It is not like Africa or Australia. There are very few places where you can legally travel for more than a few miles off road. The most off roading I do is round the garden, same as most people. We used to go green laning, but the 2005 NERC Act put a stop to that. OK there are a few Byways still open, but they only stretch a few miles in most cases.

ICE is not going. I am sure diesel/Petrol will be around for a long time yet, for those that need it. I will be hanging on to the Defender, as I can keep it going more or less indefinitely.

OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
so is buying your electricity from a different country . . . . . . right ?
Which is a worse polluter? Diesel power generator or electricity from a power station.

rifiki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209 W121190B
Their issue will be as the the 1st world weans itself off oil then petrol and diesel will get increasingly expensive to produce as the global quantities fall and the reduction in economies of scale start to impact. I can see many (hot) 3rd world countries embracing solar potentially quicker than the rest of the world because of the increasing cost of oil based products. China is pushing its influence hard into African countries and they make most of the worlds solar panels and storage batteries.
I was on a gold exploration job in Senegal in 1990s
The Swedish government financed street lighting job in a village with no mains electricity !!!!!!!
Like most governments, no common sense
The street light were installed using solar panels and batteries within months all the batteries were stolen and the system cease to work

OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
The street light were installed using solar panels and batteries within months all the batteries were stolen and the system cease to work
That is Africa for you! If it is not nailed down it will get taken and even then ......There was an empty house in a slightly remote location that I used to pass going to work.........over about 6 months the house went from fully habitable to NOTHING. They literally took it apart brick by brick. :oops:

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Developing countries need to grow sustainably and gradually, in ways that work locally. Incomes need to slowly increase. Rich countries parachuting in 21st century infrastructure won't work.

India seems to be travelling in the right direction, but it's a long old process.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
Which is a worse polluter? Diesel power generator or electricity from a power station.
think the answer is wether you believe the cherry picked information we are given but the iCC and various other self interested parties pal

OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
think the answer is wether you believe the cherry picked information we are given but the iCC and various other self interested parties pal
Whether of not you believe it, it is a no brainer that a diesel generator is a worse polluter. Pal.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
Whether of not you believe it, it is a no brainer that a diesel generator is a worse polluter. Pal.
but they use derv generator to ensure these charging station dont suffer if the grid fails , its all hog wash . . . . . theres an expression you dont get to use often ;)

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I don't see how the farming community is going to cope. Large agricultural units may be exempt from the ICE ban, but something akin to a Land Rover is still required.
A lot of rural locations have a poor electricity infrastructure - look at how many homes are without power each winter - now tell me that battery powered vehicles work in those locations.
On top of that the battery powered off road vehicles are hindered by the extra weight of the battery.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Virtual reality off-roading setup is already available, the windows become screens and the car goes "off" on its elected route with the car controlling its body movements to give the impression of the trip without leaving your drive.

The setup also has a mother-in-law trip and supermarket shop where Amazon fills your boot with pre-ordered goods.

An 18-rated car rocking experience takes the effort out of "servicing" the other half.

Entirely made up but who knows...................................

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Big diesel generator in the back. In the UK you can run backup generators on red diesel, would be interesting to see the figures v our expensive leccy supplies.

or

View attachment 85890
No more red diesel in the UK for generators unless its non commercial. Rules changed in 2022.

Larkone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 CLS 320CDI 2008
No more red diesel in the UK for generators unless its non commercial. Rules changed in 2022.
I know but that doesn't stop us using it for non-commercial use.

Top Bottom