Whats Going On.

MarkF

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270CDi
Dad gets in his C class on Saturday, 7000 miles to B service.
Dad gets in his C class on Sunday 26 days to B service.

Whats all this about?

Not that its any problems as he only does about 6000 a year and as such always has it serviced in October when the MOT is due.

I'm just interested to know what you think, is it that the car has switched to annual mode instead of counting down the miles.

Regards

Mark

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Dad gets in his C class on Saturday, 7000 miles to B service.
Dad gets in his C class on Sunday 26 days to B service.

Whats all this about?

Not that its any problems as he only does about 6000 a year and as such always has it serviced in October when the MOT is due.

I'm just interested to know what you think, is it that the car has switched to annual mode instead of counting down the miles.

Regards

Mark

Absolutely Mark. The ASSYST system will ask for a service on either mileage or time, whichever is the soonest.

Typically it is around 15,500 miles or one year (2 years on older cars). The mileage can be more if the usage has been lots of motorway, or less than 15,500 if it is mainly used on short journeys or in town.

Sounds as though this car is 15,500 or one year and the usage has tended to prime the system for a service after around 13,000 miles. 6,000 miles have been done (so 7,000 to go) when suddenly 11 months since last service comes along and switches the system to count down from 28 days.

All sounds pretty much on target. Gives you time to decide who to favour with the B Service.

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
Was the car bought from a dealer?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Or the service indicator was incorrectly set as they have been doing with many cars,, this was to get the cars in annually rather than on the mileage

merc7

Reaction score
Mark i had exactly the same on my c class last month,Alex is spot on regarding the assyst,the service will fall on the annual date of last service of the car regardless of how many miles left(ie if you did not exceeded 15500 miles)

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Mark i had exactly the same on my c class last month,Alex is spot on regarding the assyst,the service will fall on the annual date of last service of the car regardless of how many miles left (ie if you did not exceeded 15500 miles)

Not really. It depends on the age of the car. See the sticky on Servicing.

Basically cars from about mid 2006 are serviced every 15,500 miles or once a year whichever is the sooner.

But cars built before that have variable ASSYST which IF IT IS SET PROPERLY BY THE MECHANIC servicing your car, will call for a service at anything up to 15k or even 18k miles depending on how you drive, type of journeys, quality of oil used and so on. (see the sticky for details). http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=37644

merc7

Reaction score
I had my car serviced by an Indy for my (b) service,i used good quality oil(castrol w0-30),however he re-set the assyst to 10k miles does that mean he set it wrong?? it should read 15,500 to next A service???

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I had my car serviced by an Indy for my (b) service,i used good quality oil(castrol w0-30),however he re-set the assyst to 10k miles does that mean he set it wrong?? it should read 15,500 to next A service???

You need to read the sticky to which I gave a link for full details. It is not enough to use a 'good quality oil'. It must be synthetic to MB spec to get the full benefit of variable ASSYST.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You need to read the sticky to which I gave a link for full details. It is not enough to use a 'good quality oil'. It must be synthetic to MB spec to get the full benefit of variable ASSYST.

And an honest mechanic re setting it,,it is a terrible waste to change 229.5 oil after 10k miles

merc7

Reaction score
[is not enough to use a 'good quality oil'. It must be synthetic to MB spec to get the full benefit of variable ASSYST.[/QUOTE]

It is hawk cream de la creme(fully synthetic) used by main mb dealers;)

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
[is not enough to use a 'good quality oil'. It must be synthetic to MB spec to get the full benefit of variable ASSYST.

It is hawk cream de la creme(fully synthetic) used by main mb dealers;)[/QUOTE]

Good. Then all you need is a mechanic who does not forget to set it for synthetic oil. It is not honesty that is the problem as the mechanic has nothing to gain.

If they do forget it is a simple matter to have it reset (see the sticky again).

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is hawk cream de la creme(fully synthetic) used by main mb dealers;)

Good. Then all you need is a mechanic who does not forget to set it for synthetic oil. It is not honesty that is the problem as the mechanic has nothing to gain.

I they do forget it is a simple matter to have it reset (see the sticky again).[/QUOTE]

Who's fault was it then when they tried to cheat me

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Who's fault was it then when they tried to cheat me

Boy you do have a down on MB and dealers at the moment! It is more cheering to read the obituaries.

Whose fault was it? Well I expect some human being did what human beings do sometimes and made a mistake.

It happened to me too and the service manager immediately put up a notice reminding the mechanics of the need on some models, of certain ages, who choose synthetic oil, to set them to reflect that fact. And I came straight home and posted the thread -now a sticky- to warn others.

In the choice between a conspiracy and a cock up I notice you normally go for the conspiracy and I choose the cock up. Both of us are no doubt right some of the time.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Boy you do have a down on MB and dealers at the moment! It is more cheering to read the obituaries.

Whose fault was it? Well I expect some human being did what human beings do sometimes and made a mistake.

It happened to me too and the service manager immediately put up a notice reminding the mechanics of the need on some models, of certain ages, who choose synthetic oil, to set them to reflect that fact. And I came straight home and posted the thread -now a sticky- to warn others.

In the choice between a conspiracy and a cock up I notice you normally go for the conspiracy and I choose the cock up. Both of us are no doubt right some of the time.

That is untrue It was a maneuver to get more work in the workshops and dishonest and has been discussed many times,,you are lucky you got yours changed,,I did not, and I see it as dishonesty

I am used to dealing with working class people who have to plan and work out their finances

OP
MarkF

MarkF

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270CDi
Hello,

Thank you for the information, this is just what I thought.
The car is 90% short trips hence why its jumped to the 1 year service.
The car is going to MB Tech Warrington as dad was very impressed with them at the GTG.

He bought the car new and has been looked after by Drayton of Stoke for over 20 years but the last time they serviced the car was the very first time he felt ripped off in all that time hence the indi from now on.

Regards

Mark

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In the choice between a conspiracy and a cock up I notice you normally go for the conspiracy and I choose the cock up.

I suspect that a cock up is just a conspiracy enacted by an incompetent person ........ :rolleyes:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This all takes me back to when I was waiting at service reception. The was a little old couple asking why their A class had to come in for a service when it had only done 7k miles and it sat in a heated garage most of the week, he was told that it was for safety reasons. So in this day and age when most others cars can go the full time and serviced on miles and not time, does this show that MBs are unsafe without being checked within the 12 month time frame.

Perhaps it is for research reasons to see how rusty the car is getting.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not really. It depends on the age of the car. See the sticky on Servicing.

Basically cars from about mid 2006 are serviced every 15,500 miles or once a year whichever is the sooner.

But cars built before that have variable ASSYST which IF IT IS SET PROPERLY BY THE MECHANIC servicing your car, will call for a service at anything up to 15k or even 18k miles depending on how you drive, type of journeys, quality of oil used and so on. (see the sticky for details). http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=37644

This really does not help. If you read my post it refers to ASSYST and the service interval of one year or 15,500, wits. For the person who drives 6,000 miles per year, the type of oil or the way ASSYST is set, is irrelevant. They will not hit the mileage criterion whatever happens.

For older cars which have a 2 year/15,500 interval it may be an issue but the OP gave no indication that the car in question had ever gone that long between services.

The issues of type of oil, and setting of ASSYST are elegant embellishments in this case, but are irrelevant and miss-leading. A "red herring", I think.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
This all takes me back to when I was waiting at service reception. The was a little old couple asking why their A class had to come in for a service when it had only done 7k miles and it sat in a heated garage most of the week, he was told that it was for safety reasons. So in this day and age when most others cars can go the full time and serviced on miles and not time, does this show that MBs are unsafe without being checked within the 12 month time frame.

Perhaps it is for research reasons to see how rusty the car is getting.

I think you should check other makes before going too far down the slag off Mercedes route again.

Toyota have a main service every two years and an intermediate service every year. Very like MB isn't it?

And Honda IIRC is 12 months or 12,500 miles whichever is the sooner.
http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/partsandservicing/fixedpriceservicing/

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think you should check other makes before going too far down the slag off Mercedes route again.

Toyota have a main service every two years and an intermediate service every year. Very like MB isn't it?

And Honda IIRC is 12 months or 12,500 miles whichever is the sooner.
http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/partsandservicing/fixedpriceservicing/

I am not slagging off MB at all,,I have a right to disagree with you or the MB techies that do not know very much.

I know what I know as I have done it all,hands on, I do not get my answers from here say or contrived statistics to suit the one trying to get his point across.

To the point,,here we are all taxed for environmental damage, and being told to throw perfectly good oil away, oil that the makers have done so much research to get the higher mileages.

As for Toyota I think you said,,I cannot recall ever seeing one so I do not know what they are

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom