wheel squeak

OP
T

Tomkinsm

Reaction score
Thanks David, maybe this is what is happening. But, wouldn't the noise stop when I brake? It doesn't.

How can I free-up the calipers?

The noise is pretty continuous now - doesn't matter which way I corner, its still there. And I still can't determine exactly where the noise is coming from!

allan l

Reaction score
Mark,
Try this simple test. The rear disk brake do very little work. Most of the braking is done by the front brakes. If one of the rear brake pistons is seize up, you will still be able to stop on the front brakes only, with back pads only sitting there, lightly touching the brake disk, not moving and causing the squeek. If your disks are not running true, then the squeek will be intermittant.
To check for seized brakes pistons, take off the road wheel and lever the pads back, away from the disk and so move the pistons back. You may have to take off the retaining springs to get a to the pads ie knock out the pins. If you have ABS, it may also be easier if you slightly open the brake nipple to relieve the pressure in the brake system.
When you have moved the pistons out, retighten the nipple, switch on the engine and get somebody to press the foot brake, while you watch if the pistons move back.
I checked the rear brakes on my '94 E320 Coupe recently, after 90,000 miles, to make sure that they were not seized, although the MOT should also flagged this up.

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
Get someone to stand on roadside and coast by them in neutral to see if they can determine where noise is from.

OP
T

Tomkinsm

Reaction score
All sorted out now: New propshaft bearing and mounting.

Thanks to Speciallist John Haynes Autotechnics for diagnosing and repairing the problem.

Thanks to those of you who gave advice.

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
Mark

Thanks for feedback, it is what we always need.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom