When a full main dealer service history is not quite......

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
And very comprehensive you are too Mick..
I am still reading what you sent me..
Why has War & Peace come to mind?? :D

If anyone is curious as to what I sent Simon, by email, the full ''War and Peace'' can be viewed on one of my albums.......for most people it will be a cure for insomnia.

Mic

orb the Impaler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 SLK 250 CDi AMG | Volvo V70 2.5T AWD | MV Agusta F4 | 1999 YZF-R1
Certainly if the sparking plugs are not changed the book will not get stamped, so if the book is stamp could the ticking off of these just be an over sight

I regularly told MB that I would be doing certain jobs myself (eg plugs, filters).

They NEVER refused to stamp my service book.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I regularly told MB that I would be doing certain jobs myself (eg plugs, filters).

They NEVER refused to stamp my service book.

You are lucky, not the same with many or down here, they say they have to do it as proof that it has been done

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I have bought the parts from them and produced the receipts that was accepted.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz C220 Executive SE Coupé ('13)
I thought I read posts that stated if the extras required, be it through time or mileage, were declined the dealerships were refusing the stamp the service book as the service was incomplete?

Certainly if the sparking plugs are not changed the book will not get stamped, so if the book is stamp could the ticking off of these just be an over sight

Actually, although this was previously the case, as of late last year MBUK were defeated in a court case relating to 'mandatory' items, and told that they have to stamp the service book if a service is carried out, regardless of the scope thereof.

Of course, there is nothing stopping the dealer from noting that certain items have not been replaced in accordance with the manufacturer regime.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Actually, although this was previously the case, as of late last year MBUK were defeated in a court case relating to 'mandatory' items, and told that they have to stamp the service book if a service is carried out, regardless of the scope thereof.

Of course, there is nothing stopping the dealer from noting that certain items have not been replaced in accordance with the manufacturer regime.

Do you have a any details for that case ?

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sadly not, and I can't find anything online. MB CS might be able to tell you.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.

Hmmm...who would have taken the case to court and surely it would be the dealership (I appreciate MB own some) that would be in court rather than MB themselves?

I could only visualise Trading Standards rather than an individual customer taking this sort of action but it surely would have been reported.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Perhaps they were warned then, rather than anything else. I'm only going on what I was told a little while back.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Perhaps they were warned then, rather than anything else. I'm only going on what I was told a little while back.

That sounds much more feasible - the OFT could have "had a word" with them.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
You are lucky, not the same with many or down here, they say they have to do it as proof that it has been done

I think I may use that line back to them, seeing as their "Master Tech" missed a leaking injector 3 times... when it was pointed out to him!

Took my 203 out for a spin at the weekend and it really does drive superbly! - had to have a few bits done since I bought it, all done by my local Indie, and it's as tight as a drum! Really ought to get around to selling her... :Oops:

The Pan Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 E 500 A/G Classic colour combination.
Yet again, Why do people have this old fashioned hang up that any used car must have a FMDSH.
I have the remainder of warranty to run out and then a well trusted indie on this site will be looking after my car. It will be about 180 miles round trip but I know the car will be serviced and cared for properly.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Yet again, Why do people have this old fashioned hang up that any used car must have a FMDSH.
I have the remainder of warranty to run out and then a well trusted indie on this site will be looking after my car. It will be about 180 miles round trip but I know the car will be serviced and cared for properly.

I didn't particularly look for that - it was a decent spec, decent miles & condition, good history & 1-owner, and drove well (apart from injector chuff). And a very reasonable price, compared to 2 cars, of higher mileage and lesser spec, that I looked at with independent traders (not Totters).

The fact it was a dealership maintained car, and for sale from an MB dealer (with a 12 month warranty) was a 'bonus' of sorts. Having logged a concern over the injector noise, it meant I was able to throw it straight back to them when there turned out to be a problem, using the franchised dealer status as leverage that they should've spotted what I had already flagged to them - they didn't even quibble (and were hugely embarrassed), even though seals are apparently not covered under the warranty!

When that 12 months is up, unless I need a service beforehand (even then maybe, haven't decided yet), I will be going to the Indie who looked after my 203.

Last edited:

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

To be fair, you can see how difficult it is to find a trusted indie when you're forced to do a 180 mile round trip to one.

How would you feel looking at a used car which had been serviced in an indie more local to you, but which you didn't have the same confidence in?

And of course, to anyone who doesn't know about good Mercedes indies, their only reference point for servicing standards is the franchised dealer.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
...even though seals are apparently not covered under the warranty!

The warranty is irrelevant on a dealer supplied car if you find fault shortly after delivery. And even on a covered item, the warranty company would look to the dealer to cover the cost if they felt it was a pre-existing fault.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
The warranty is irrelevant on a dealer supplied car if you find fault shortly after delivery. And even on a covered item, the warranty company would look to the dealer to cover the cost if they felt it was a pre-existing fault.

Even better than that Rory, my concern was expressed 3 times before collection (the first on the initial test-drive)... It was when the car visited my local dealer for something entirely different that they pointed out the fault to me... To which I replied "Ooh, thank you very much!" and called the guy I bought it from there & then!

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom