Which Merc for £1.5k with RWD & diesel

vulpine9

Banned
Reaction score
Hi
First post here so forgive me if the question is a bit obvious.
I am looking to buy a 2nd car for around £1.5k and it needs to comply to the following criteria:
1) RWD (very important ;) )
2) Diesel (preferably with prechamber injection)
3) Estate

What Merc models will comply with the above criteria?
thanks
Jon

OP
V

vulpine9

Banned
Reaction score
  • Banned
thanks for the rapid response jberks!
I didn't realise all mercs were RWD, thought they had defected years ago. That is good news.
Yeah, I will check out autotrader etc and online/onsite auctions when I have pinned down which model(s) is(are) more appropriate. Will have to check specs out too. Much online work still to be done in lemon avoidance!

k langdon

Reaction score
Mercedes diesel estates are very, very sought after and command a significant premium over their petrol engined cousins.

These cars can do massive mileages if looked after and with regular oil changes. 400,000-500,000 is not uncommon - there's a taxi driver near me that's up to 450,000 on his 1994 multi-valve diesel saloon. The engines generally last longer than the cars!!

For £1500 you're really at the bottom end of the market for a diesel estate. I suspect you'll find a W123 version (up to around C and D reg) for that type of money or £2000+ will bring you more into the W124 area (E to K reg).

The W124 multi-valves (L to N reg) will be out of your price range as they command even more of a premium.

Views on the W123 and 124 range vary. I generally think people prefer the W124's because they're more modern to drive in terms of handling and steering and I think it's generally regarded that the W124's are the last of the bombproof over engineered Mercs. But this forum will have many W123 fans as well.

As luck would have it, and if you're interested, I will be selling a W124 diesel estate on a J plate in the next week or so, but it will be a little over your budget.

The only reason I'm selling is that I've traded up to a multi-valve diesel estate and should be picking it up next weekend.

Regards,

Kevin

OP
V

vulpine9

Banned
Reaction score
  • Banned
Luckily I'm in no rush and can be a little flexible on price.
It really depends what turns up. Got to sort a car for the wife first really though but even that isn't a must.
My first choice is a diesel Omega est closely followed by W124 Merc by the sounds of things. Closely watching ebay and local auctions as well as Autotrader.
Drop me an email with more details/pics of your W124, never know, it might be just the ticket and take my fancy! Bit of a long way though!
Still haven't managed to find out what Merc diesels have pre-chamber or if they all do.
thanks
Jon

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom