Which workshop manual?

gorselands

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 W124 220ce
Hi, new to the forum and the delights of owning a Mercedes. Having looked in the forum, Haynes,and the web at CD's DVD's cannot find a 220CE listed.
It is a 124 '93 on an L reg. Which is the best, most appropriate to go for? Some CD sets say all models from 85 onwards but don't list the 220CE.

I need to change the ingnition barrel and have an intermittent cutting out problem usually when slowing down at roundabouts, corners etc which happens a couple of times and then dissappeaers for weeks and months. Interestingly the service history shows this as an ongoing problem that the dealership could not identify as it never happenned on the 4 ocassions they road tested the car. So I need to do some reading, that way I'll be able to keep up with the tech talk on the forum.

Thanks all, Mike

pascal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl320/1999/3.2
Hi Gorselands,
My old 300CE had the same problem. And it only happened going into roundabouts. It was solved with an injector addative. Not sure which one, maybe redex. The result was not immediate. But it only cut out once on the next fill up after using. It never reoccured after that at all. It's worth a go before looking into any other cause.

Failing that I would look into The OVP & fuel pump relays, or idle fuel valve. But try the first option before getting into all that.
Pascal

OP
G

gorselands

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 W124 220ce
Thanks Pascal, I will try the additive. straightforward solutions first!

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
2 manuals required

Unfortunately you will need two!!! The Haynes book no 3253 MERCEDES-BENZ 124 series 1985-1993 for the main features of the model. also the Haynes book no 3511 MERCEDES-BENZ C180 C200 C220 C230 C250 1993-2000 for the engine, injection system and electronics. Fortunately used in combination they cover most aspects of your 220CE. most of the cd manuals on the net cover the american models which are 6 cylinder only.

Keith

Reaction score
CDs still useful

I think the american CDs would still be very useful for any W124 owner (even if your engine isnt covered) as they have much more detail than Haynes (but more difficult to navigate for sure). Common systems which tend to cause issues such as HVAC and other electrics are fully covered and I guess aren't going to be much different on a 4 pot engine. They are also very cheap on ebay so why not get them anyway.

Keith

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
Sorry if I gave the wrong impression about the CDs. Yes they are useful but IMHO I would go for the 2 haynes first for the basics/servicing etc.

Top Bottom