1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windscreen Chip Repair

Discussion in 'Insurance' started by tony jr, Nov 19, 2012.

1. tony jr

tony jr Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    GL320 X164 2007
    I just thought I would share my recent experience of getting a chip repaired in my windscreen. A couple of weeks ago I was driving on the motorway and a small stone was thrown up by the lorry in front and hit my windscreen (not with a load bang more of a little ping!) causing a chip about the size of a fingernail the chip had the start of a few small radiating cracks so I decided to contact my insurer to get a repair done the same day. They were very efficient and got someone over to me in less than an hour which I thought was very good. They guy looked at it and said It had been caught in time and would make a good repair. It took him about 15 - 20 min to complete the job. When done he asked me to sign the paperwork and pay a £25 excess to which I said I was fully comp so the repair should be free. He told me that my insurer had changed it's policy at the end of last year and this took effect when I had renewed my policy. I paid the guy but was a bit anoyed. I just wanted to know if anyone else had come across this and if so how much would the repair have been without going through the insurance?

2. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    It is a hard one,,, many firms set themselves up in supermarket car parks, you can always ring a firm up and ask

3. amb67

amb67 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Mercedes-Benz C220 Coupe AMG, E320 CDI (S211), Aprilia RSVR
    Had your insurer informed you of the changes to your policy, if not then you can claim back your excess payment?

Watch these insurance companies they tried a similar thing with me when I bought the E Class, they tried to charge me an extra £75 for 'Admin Fee' until I said just cancel the policy and I'll find someone cheaper on Confused or the like.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  4. OP
    tony jr

tony jr Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    GL320 X164 2007
    I'm sure they probably did inform me somewhere in the many pages of small print! Just another way of getting a little more money from you!!

5. peterwhayward

peterwhayward Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E240 classic est 2000 2.4
    Had a repair done on my E240 back in October 2011 and even though I am fully comp and it includes windscreen cover I had to pay a £10 fee to autoglass the repairers.

6. HZ123

HZ123 Senior Member

Reminder ; there is nothing free in this life !

7. jenny220cdi

jenny220cdi New Member

Your Mercedes:
    2006 C220 CDI Auto
    There are people who will repair a screen chip for about £25 without going through your insurance. The repair resin is very cheap (its just clear epoxy stuff) and its not like a setup in a car park or the like costs them a huge amount of overheads.

You have to wonder if they are charging you £25 and then claiming from your insurance, how much are they charging them!? I have had concerns about this a few years ago, my younger brother got a rear window put out on his car (2002 VW Polo) he rang Autoglass to get it replaced, not on insurance as he didn't have glass cover... they wanted nearly £500!! I got a local independent window fitter to come and do it for £80. So presumably Autoglass are charging our insurance companies over 6 times the reasonable cost of doing most jobs.. and people wonder why premiums are so high.:shock:

8. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    Hello jenny220cdi and welcome with that interesting first post

9. OP
    tony jr

tony jr Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    GL320 X164 2007
    My thoughts exactly!