Windscreen - Replacement

Lambo_Pig

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204/2008/320CDI & Alfa Romeo 4C
You dont need to accept Autoglass.
Just go to your Main dealer, ask them to do it and deal with your insurance company.

Most insurance companies try to push you into Using Autoglass ( and no they are not the same quality glass) , neither do they know how to bond them properly or wait the right amount of setting time, or even put the car level. Do you have rain sensors or up front display etc. Huh do they actually know how to connect them.

All you have to say is **** off, I paid an insirance premuim for Mercedes and I want them to fix it! and you can have it done at a Mercedes dealer.

Sure a load of people will tell you Mercedes dont make glass etc. But sure as hell they make the OEMs deliver to their standards.

This stuck in my mind a few weeks ago, and as you would have it, I have a crack across the whole bottom length of the windscreen.

Insurance will only reimburse up to a maximum of £50 if I get the windscreen replaced by the dealer (£500), or they use Autoglass or Nation Wide with a £75 excess...

I pushed them and they didn't budge...

I'm with Admiral

dry run

Reaction score
Website
kb-boatpark.co.uk
Your Mercedes
CLS 350d AMG LIne Premium Plus
Just had my screen replaced by Autoglass. 1st class job, very quick (came to my work and done within an hour) and everything works (sensors, wipers etc) ......so far :) Fitter even remembered to take my residents parking permit off and refitted to new screen!

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I don't think it matters which company fits the new screen. It's all down to the expertise of the fitter you get.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I don't think it matters which company fits the new screen. It's all down to the expertise of the fitter you get.

I have heard recently about some poor guys around, not a good situation.

Lambo_Pig

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204/2008/320CDI & Alfa Romeo 4C
Your insurance company will then probably point to a clause in their windscreen cover that states if you take your car to a fitter outside of their network, the most they will contribute will be £xxx. In other words, you insist on MB fitting the screen, then you will have to pay extra for the privilege.
If you don't believe me, I'll scan and post the appropriate clause in my insurance to prove it.

Yup that was exactly my experience.

Although I believe the product I have just got from Autoglass and the fitters expertise was second to none. And now the wiper sensors work better than the previous glass.

Last edited:

mari1980

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S500 2007
Hi
I just came back from Autoglass where I exchanged the windshield in my W221.
The original windshield was replaced by the SunLess windshield.
The noise that currently comes from the windshield is at least twice as large as before the windshield was changed. Certainly, the comfort of driving in this car has deteriorated. The rain sensor also stopped working. The wipers work even when the windshield is completely dry.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
You need to raise your concern with Autoglass. The new windscreen should be no noisier than the old one.

The rain sensor will need recalibrating if its been disturbed. Make a fuss until you are satisfied. You have paid, through your windscreen excess, for a proper job and Autoglass need to do it.

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
My friend had awful trouble with his 124 convertible. When autoglass(?) fitted the new screen, the roof wouldnt shut. Ended up having a couple of experts come out to remove and fit another in accordance with the Mercedes instructions before it was done properly, right palava

mari1980

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S500 2007
Hi
After several attempts, Autoglass finally replaced my windshield with an approved Mercedes. Then I made an appointment for a calibration with a Mercedes dealer. Unfortunately, the rain sensor and automatic lights still do not work after calibration. The mechanic informed me that a rain sensor error appears and an investigation must be carried out.
I do not know what to do now, because how can I prove that everything worked before I came to replace the windshield for the first time?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
You don’t need to prove it was working they just need to get it working. Autoglass need to sort it.

Struggling with why you made an appointment to sort the calibration after Autoglass replaced it as it’s their responsibility to get it all working after replacing the screen.

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
https://www.pilkington.com/en/global/automotive-international

Autoglass and most other windscreen fitting companies source from them being the biggest OEM supplier,
but there are alternative cheaper sources available to the aftermarket automotive glazing industry.

The adhesives market is also flooded with cheaper alternatives from the 3M preferred bonding materials.

Training is as important as the materials and Autoglass used to have a second to none facility in Tingley (iirc) in an attempt to achieve a company wide standard among its fitters, but we all know there's one guy that cowboys it thinking they know better and that's where the system fails.

Mercedes wont be fitting the windscreen, they are not trained to.

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
You don’t need to prove it was working they just need to get it working. Autoglass need to sort it.

Struggling with why you made an appointment to sort the calibration after Autoglass replaced it as it’s their responsibility to get it all working after replacing the screen.

If it was anything like mine then the repairer (Auto Windscreens in my case) booked and paid for the re-calibration, but I had to take the car and deal with the dealer. Had an appointment to get the glass done, where they fitted an OEM marked screen and then they had booked a dealer appointment for re-calibration a couple of days later.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
If it was anything like mine then the repairer (Auto Windscreens in my case) booked and paid for the re-calibration, but I had to take the car and deal with the dealer. Had an appointment to get the glass done, where they fitted an OEM marked screen and then they had booked a dealer appointment for re-calibration a couple of days later.

It just shows how we all are lucky most of the time... I've had screens repaired or replaced by most of the big screen companies over the years and the only problem I had was in Europe where they replaced a side glass on a Citroen C5 (damaged by vandals) and the fitter couldn't reset the lift motor, telling me to go to a main dealer. He was rather surprised when I showed him how to do it!.

On my "old faithful" Daewoo Musso 4WD (long gone and honestly missed) Auto Windscreens stripped out my badly stuck rear screen and put it in their bay overnight so it would be cold enough to set properly - then their emergency night shift guy did the job at 0400. True to their promise they rang at 8:30 to confirm it was finished and ready to go.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I’ve had a front and rear screen replaced at Mercedes. Autoglass came in to change the screen then Merc did whatever needed to be done to calibrate it.
Rear screen was changed in my W211 because of noise on the radio reception. They were changing loads they told me.

parkside

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1994 eclass w124
I have a Mercedes 220e 1994 w124 i have been told my rear screen in laminated and there are 2 kinds. Can i put any rear w124 windsceen in. i have a guy with 1984 w124 has one but not laminated? can anyone help please> Paul

Top Bottom