Windscreen washer grill removal CLK

Steven Hicks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 220 CDI 2008
On my CLK it has a grill for the washers on the bonnet, I have a probably blocked nozzle on one side, I have removed the 3 hex type screws but not sure what else needs to be done as I am sure there must be some sort of clips holding it in place but don't want to force it in case I break them!! Any help and advice would be appreciated

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
Well l can't help with grill removal but l did manage to unblock one of the washer nozzles on my SLK by using an unfolded paper clip and gently but firmly prodding and turning it in the nozzle.

OP
Steven Hicks

Steven Hicks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 220 CDI 2008
Well l can't help with grill removal but l did manage to unblock one of the washer nozzles on my SLK by using an unfolded paper clip and gently but firmly prodding and turning it in the nozzle.
I tried that first but thinking the blockage must be in the pipe

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good luck then. I have to say that in my case it took a fair bit of prodding and pressing of the column control, but eventually the combination of both eventually cleared the blockage.

Mercfan99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLK 220 CDI Auto
On my CLK it has a grill for the washers on the bonnet, I have a probably blocked nozzle on one side, I have removed the 3 hex type screws but not sure what else needs to be done as I am sure there must be some sort of clips holding it in place but don't want to force it in case I break them!! Any help and advice would be appreciated
Hi, I have exactly same problem and unsure as to how grill on bonnet is removed on clk c209. There appears no access under hood to get access to pipes running up to windscreen washer nozzles. I was met with a completely sealed moulded housing hiding all access when I removed engine sound proofing, or whatever purpose that large piece of felt serves?

One side blocked, waher motor pump working and no excess water is leaking under hood. A ****** pain trying to solve this.

Ideas anyone?

rifiki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209 W121190B
I think you have to take off then grill to gain access to the washer jets, the plastic tabs are almost guaranteed to break when cold.

Mercfan99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many thanks. Should I buy extra plastic clips if these are available before starting this fun?

How are those tabs accessed once screws are undone under hood.

I also can only see 1 hex screw at each side of grill under hood. Stupid design c209 as other models far easier to access rear of nozzles to check rubber hoses.

rifiki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209 W121190B
The plastic tabs/clips are part of the grill. I looked at this some time ago to put in a non return valve but left as is, possible broken tabs.
Washer only squirts after one stroke of wipers.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
It may be easier to take off the tubing and give it a flush and at the same time back blow the jets to clean them out. Clean out the tank as it sludges up over the years causing blockages

Mercfan99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The plastic tabs/clips are part of the grill. I looked at this some time ago to put in a non return valve but left as is, possible broken tabs.
Washer only squirts after one stroke of wipers.
Many thanks but if I can get access to refit rubber hose, as I suspect its this driver's side only unless there is a T junction which has a block. Attempting this Thursday .

"Thes us my assumption One side blocked, water motor pump working and no excess water is leaking under hood. A ****** pain trying to solve this."

Water hoses fully enclosed under hood in metal housing. MB just wanted everything on these cars to be serviced by them. If I could have afforded a brand new one,would leave this crap to them to sort, sadly won't be this lifetime drove many cars and never had such which should really be a very simple thing to fix that MB designer's turned into a headache 1

Mercfan99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many thanks rifiki, tried to fix the washer nozzle problem today with much effort but all plastic tabs snapped off nice and easy:mad: only to find all hoses good and firmly fixed, nozzle fully blocked and seemed rock solid .When i say fully blocked a pin can go as far in drivers side as passenger side so blockage further down in nozzle housing. Disconnected washer hose and water flows freely.

Does anyone know how to undo the washer nozzle from its fixing. Could not see how to pull that out, if i can may have a chance of clearing it ?

If i remove original nozzle and break it will have to buy new nozzle but rather save a few quid and clear this original nozzle if possible.

Last edited:

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many thanks rifiki, tried to fix the washer nozzle problem today with much effort but all plastic tabs snapped off nice and easy:mad: only to find all hoses good and firmly fixed, nozzle fully blocked and seemed rock solid .When i say fully blocked a pin can go as far in drivers side as passenger side so blockage further down in nozzle housing. Disconnected washer hose and water flows freely.

Does anyone know how to undo the washer nozzle from its fixing. Could not see how to pull that out, if i can may have a chance of clearing it ?

If i remove original nozzle and break it will have to buy new nozzle but rather save a few quid and clear this original nozzle if possible.
I had a heck of a job clearing one blocked nozzle on my SLK. Eventually l unfolded a paper clip and poked that down the opening, turning & wiggling it at the same time. Much longer reach possible than with a pin! It worked a treat.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
if you have the lines off a good reverse blow.

Mercfan99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The blockage is in the nozzle itself as all the water runs good pressure through the hoses when disconnected from the nozzle.

Now put the nozzle in a jam jar full of Milton tabs leaving over night and hope this works else its new nozzle time.

grahamcol, I did try all sorts of pins and needles but no joy. I am assuming, the nozzle eyes have very small angled pipes within the nozzle housing and the blockage is on the bend. Some tin copper wire may have been good for this but when sticking a needle in, feels like i am pressing it into a brick wall. Rock solid. Pain in the backside trying to remove that grill, but getting easier as ive had it off 2 times now, 3rd time lucky...i hope:)

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CDI 2008
The blockage is in the nozzle itself as all the water runs good pressure through the hoses when disconnected from the nozzle.

Now put the nozzle in a jam jar full of Milton tabs leaving over night and hope this works else its new nozzle time.

grahamcol, I did try all sorts of pins and needles but no joy. I am assuming, the nozzle eyes have very small angled pipes within the nozzle housing and the blockage is on the bend. Some tin copper wire may have been good for this but when sticking a needle in, feels like i am pressing it into a brick wall. Rock solid. Pain in the backside trying to remove that grill, but getting easier as ive had it off 2 times now, 3rd time lucky...i hope:)
Morning all. Am new here and hoping for some help. I have exact same issue with drivers side nozzle. Have tried needle method like others without joy so will need to remove the grill. Have seen the tabs that need to pull out. However not sure how the plastic tabs would be fitted back after? Any advice on this please.

Also looking at my grill looks like some of the tabs are missing. Possibly previous owner had a butchers ‍. Any way to replace or use another method as an alternative?

Mercfan99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Did this replacement today. Pain in the backside. And couldn't see how to get those plastic clips back in. Can't see the point of them but nozzles now all working great minus the clips. The 3 fixing screws fix the grill to hood on clk and when I took a second look I'd say those clips are there to align the gaps around outside of grill. Something not quite right with that piece of engineering imo.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom