Winter Tyres - Worth it?

Silver_Star

Reaction score
Rural Leicestershire near where Pork Pies and Stil
Your Mercedes
W203.006, S211.208 Land Rover 90
I don't understand all the fuss about storing the wheels in special covers etc. It will be fore a few months and you will be swapping them over again soon, it is not like they are being stood for years.

The fact is they will probably see less damaging UV light in your shed and garage than they would in service. If you are really worried put them in some black bin liners. Mine are in the shed, stacked up with a piece of carpet underlay on each one mainly to protect the rim and a bin liner over the top of them all.

JOHNMAC11

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 sport estate 125 edition
It looks like the offer for winter wheels and tyres is now stopped ( even though it is still being advertised above ). MB Bedford told me that they cannot order any more of the wheels and tyres that are on offer and offered me a set at £1500....
I spoke to MB customer service and after they checked they confirmed that the offer was suspended, I am a bit peeved as I only bought the car last week from MB direct and it was they who told me about the offer :confused:

John

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Tyres make a huge difference to grip it doesn't matter who you are and how well you drive the wrong tyres don't work.
Witness Formula One when it rains the worlds finest drivers go flying off some make a better show but on ice Schumacher would struggle with the wrong tyres.
It is foolhardy to think you are finding grip where their isn't.

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
I was just reading an interesting article about winter tyres. Finnish auto magazine tested and mid-european winter tyres, and compared them with couple of northern winter tyres (no studs/spikes). Difference between tyres is that mid-European tyres are made from harder rubber, and their speed class is higher (H or V).
Results were frightening: mid-Eupropen tyres were better while driving on dry asphalt, and even more better with wet asphalt. But when driving on the snow, northern tyres were much better, and on the ice some mid-Europen tyres were stated as 'dangerous', while northern tyres were still performing well. Conclusion, there is no good all-weather-tyre, you can have good performance in certain conditions, and compromising is difficult.

JOHNMAC11

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 sport estate 125 edition
It looks like the offer for winter wheels and tyres is now stopped ( even though it is still being advertised above ). MB Bedford told me that they cannot order any more of the wheels and tyres that are on offer and offered me a set at £1500....
I spoke to MB customer service and after they checked they confirmed that the offer was suspended, I am a bit peeved as I only bought the car last week from MB direct and it was they who told me about the offer :confused:

John

Got a call from MB Milton Keynes to say that they had winter wheels and tyres back in stock so I went down today and picked them up. 17 inch alloys and Dunlop 3d tyres for £1200. The fitter said that my car was the 7th he had done on the day.

Just in time as I am off to Loch Lomond tomorrow, I wonder if l they will stop the car from taking off going over the Erskine bridge:lol:

They offered to store my wheels for me but I asked them if they had the wheel covers so I could take the wheels home with me and they said they had them, When I got the car back the wheels were in mercedes bin bags:rolleyes: I expected something better...

John

Last edited:
Top Bottom