Wobble on crank pulley?

riffo

Reaction score
Please excuse my mechanical ignorance!

My E240 (1999 - 80k miles) has just flown through its MOT, however, the tester pointed out that the crank pulley (if that is the correct term for the black pulley with numbers marked on it) is worn and will need replacing.

On further inspection it appears that a black rubber seal from within the pulley is working its way loose causing it to spin slightly uneavenly.

Is it possible to 'fix' this and replace the seal or will I need to replace the entire pulley. I have been quoted £400 for the pulley plus £200 labour as it involves removing the radiator.

Finally - I do not cover huge miles in the car as I have a company car for day to day use - if I wait for it to fail - whilst I know it will immobilise the car - will it cause additional damage to any other part of the engine?

Thank for looking, hope you can help.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Its a hard question, as to what would happen if it failed, it could damage the Radiator, but not much else. I think it depends on how much out of true it is, the belt tensioner is automatic, so that should not have caused it to go out of true. There is a whole range of cars that use the same pulley, you could try a breaker thought they do not like selling parts of engines.

This is the first time that I have heard of this.

Malcolm

C220GJS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W202 C220 Elegance
The part you are talking about, as well as being the crankshaft pulley for the ancillary drive belt, is a vibration damper and is known to fail.http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...GM=716.621&CT=M&cat=19X&SID=03&SGR=015&SGN=01
It is the subject of a replacement program in the USA but I don't know the situation here.
I would speak to your local MB dealer regarding at least a contribution towards the cost, all the better if you have a service history.
Geo.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
With the reply from C220GJS is this something that could be caused by higher temperture's, if the problem is big in the states, that is the only difference that I can think of.
Thinking hard maybe I can recall one thread here.

malcolm

Stevie A

Reaction score
I replaced the harmonic balancer on my car recently. It was straight forward to remove the radiator and belt as I had done this before. The hard bit was getting the back part of the vibration damper off. It had split into two parts. I had to lever it off against the engine with a tommy bar and turn the engine 45 degrees from the crankshaft bolt, then lever again until it the vibration damper popped off. I nearly gave up. It would take about 4 hours to do if you knew what you were doing. I paid £200 for the part and £20 for a new pulley just in case. I would get a price from a dealer for the job as £400 is excessive for that part. 4-5 hours labour max or they're taking the Michael.

C220GJS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W202 C220 Elegance
"Harmonic Balancer", I couldn't for life of me remember the correct name for it , think I need to start looking for a good nursing home, any recommendations ?.:confused: :rolleyes:

Geo.

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
the " Yin and Yang, bide-a-wee" rest home

for retired gentlefolk and their cars.
Book me a room while you're at it. I keep inadvertently walking past my desk, then have to pretend to check the photocpier for faxes or whatever it makes to get out of the embarassment......

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Change the harmonic balancer asap as they can wear through the sump pan at the front edge if left alone for too long, costing £££££££££££££££££!!.

Stevie A

Reaction score
C220GJS said:
"Harmonic Balancer", I couldn't for life of me remember the correct name for it , think I need to start looking for a good nursing home, any recommendations ?.:confused: :rolleyes:

Geo.

Called "vibration damper" in Haynes. So you are right Geo and not too old yet pal. Called "vibration absorber" by bloke at Merc where I got it. Called "Harmonic Balancer" on American sites I looked at.

Glenn Smith

Reaction score
Or torsional damper, Does the rad have to come out? I took the pulley off to change the oil seal on c230k plenty of room took about 1/2 an hour! Hardesy bit was undoing the nut and holding the drive plate with a crow bar, I did have it on a lift to do.

OP
R

riffo

Reaction score
Thank you all for your advice.

Can the vibration damper be repaired / serviced - on closer inspection, all it appears that I need to do is to coax the seal back into the pulley?

I have managed to locate a used vibration damper for £130 so I just now need to find a mechanic to carry out the work. I have phoned a few local garages but they had never carried out such a job and were therefore unsure as to how long it would take (which does not fill me with confidence!)

Can anyone suggest a good Mercedes garage in or around the East Midlands?

Stevie A

Reaction score
Vibration damper / harmonic balancer is separate from the pulley and held on by 6 allen bolts on my car. The bolts hold the damper and pulley onto the crankshaft hub.

The hub has a woodruff key so the damper can only go on one way. The damper has a little tip on the outer ring that triggers a TDC sensor on the engine. Damper also has the timing marks on it that are essential to be accurate if someone ever had to overhaul the engine / reset the timing so don't bodge it back together.

4-5 max hours work. You could do it yourself if you have good basic mechanic skills and have removed and replaced a radiator and drivebelt before.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom