Working out the correct spacesaver spare wheel for a Viano.

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
My SWB Viano from new would have just been supplied with a goo/pump kit and no spare or jack mainly because the SWB is too short for a spare to fit underneath.

The goo kit was missing from mine at purchase so I just replaced it. While I've previously run a new car for 3yrs with such a kit and no spare for various reasons after a bit of thought I think I'll get a spacesaver this time. We will never use the full loadspace height and I'm thinking of creating a carpeted MDF box to go on the loadspace floor which the spacesaver could slot into horizontally perhaps making a drawer to fit the remaining space for the jack and all other clutter we carry.

Has anyone any idea how I could find out what size spacesaver might be suitable... there are loads on Ebay if I could just work out the size. I have 17" alloys with 225/55x17 tyres on a 112 PCD hub with about a 45mm offset from hub face to wheel rim outside face at tyre bead.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
The load rating might be an issue, not sure if the R-Class ever had a space-saver spare but that might be heavy enough to be comparable

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I'd guess they all did ..... mine certainly did, but it was the type that is 'flat' when stored in the wheel well .... like this

My SLK one is similar (although steel)

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well I never knew such a thing existed... great super space saver concept.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well I never knew such a thing existed... great super space saver concept.
It’s about the only thing that would fit under the boot floor of an SLK… ;)

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mrs D's CLK with offset tyre sizes front/rear has a spacesaver... a 125/80 x17 which I thought would be loads smaller in height/diameter than the 225/40 & 255/35 OE tyres so I'd assumed a different diameter was acceptable short term. However the spacesaver is pretty well exactly the same height as the front and rear tyres. So I guess the height/rolling radius is quite crucial.

I can find loads of spacesavers on Ebay that would fit my hub and some with load rating almost up to the on-vehicle tyres. But I can't find any Mercedes spacesavers that will get anywhere near the rolling radius I need.

Oddly enough when searching I found the Qashqai and Renault Kajar have exactly the spacesaver I need in tyres size... 155/80x17 but the chances of the rim and PCD being correct are pretty slim.

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well I did find one in the end. To get the correct load, fit and rolling radius cost dear compared to the "will bolt on but might upset the diff/ABS/Stability program" common/cheap C-class ones available used. I did double check and make sure it fitted both front and rear hubs with no brake caliper or other component fouling. Also checked to see the standard bolts for my alloys were the correct length for this wheel... they must have designed out the need to carry a shorter bolt set I've experienced with earlier Mercedes. Another buy was the correct heavy duty scissor jack as the jacking points need a 60mm or so cup at the top of the jack to safely accept their profile.

Re stowage I had initially though of a raised floor with the slim wheel slipped under and some sort of drawer stowage in the space left over. But when I tried a few positions it was clear this very slim 135 tyre would sit nicely on the left side trim panel losing nothing in floor space and retaining the low flat floor. The icing on the cake was finding an Ebay seller that does neat zip up covers for spacesaver wheels... quite smart and a really snug fit.

Next week I'll pull the side panel off and make up a decent mount/restraint to hold it in position avoiding drilling through the aircon pipes.

Spacesaver kit.JPG

Spacesaver on vehicle.JPG

Spacesaver cover.JPG

Spacesave mount posn.JPG

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
look back at how I suggested to hold an outboard upright.

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That rings a bell thanks, I'll look back.

Edit: Found it... very useful. I'll have time to check it out next week.

Last edited:
Reactions: M80
OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just to round off.

Only just found time to mount the spare. Bit of a fiddle in truth as the previous de-policing just before I purchased had broken a few clips (but I'd bought spares) etc when they'd taken the nearside load space trim off to remove mystery electronics.... and I had to find some stronger fixings into the metal skin. Interesting to see all the gubbins for the rear aircon though. Also found out why the 12v socket was dead that side... they'd not reconnected after having the trim off so that's one extra thing resolved.

I made a small addition of shaped timber, later sprayed satin black, to give the spare some support on that sloped "shelf" and fitted two pairs of "anchors" for a 25mm strap to thread through and hold it... there's a second strap not shown which retains it fore-aft. Really secure and out of the way only reducing load width by 6cm compared to the existing trim.

Gradually getting this "van" how I want it.

Loadspace NS trim rear.JPG

Trim buttons.JPG

Aircon unit rear.JPG

Spare wheel shelf.JPG

Spare wheel mounted.JPG

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Oh I wish. 53yrs since I bought my first album age 12 setting off on my own music appreciating direction, and music has been a big part of my life since then. But only listening not playing... tried drums and guitar in the past but I have nut, bolt and woodwork hands so not even a tiny affinity with playing anything myself.

Top Bottom