Worn front tyres...

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
...excessive wear on the inside edge, especially on the offside tyre. What's the problem?

Attachments

• phpKVWX4vAM (1).jpg
    phpKVWX4vAM (1).jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 201
OP
N

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Excessive negative camber or insufficient toe-in or both would be the first thought.

I suppose toe-in would be the easier one to adjust?

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
attachment.php

I don't think that there is much wrong,power steering will rip off the outer tread and three of the outer tread areas look to be evenly worn(as compared to each other).
Certainly,the left hand tyre in your picture looks as I would expect.
Has the right hand one been on the car slightly longer?
You could try slightly higher tyre pressures with your next set,as this would move some of the wear off the edges.
I think that you might have been able to extend their life a little by rotating them before they reached this stage,but still,I see no sign of a serious suspension or steering defect.
I expect that it will be worth having the tracking checked and that it will be slightly toed out from its correct setting.

Regards,
Nick.

OP
N

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Both tyres (all 4 in fact) were put on at the same time.

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
Here is a useful guide
http://www.procarcare.com/includes/content/resourcecenter/encyclopedia/ch25/25readtirewear.html
I think that the wear on the nearside tyre is acceptable.
It could be wear somewhere in the offside suspension,as this page suggests.
These are only suggestions:
Is the road spring intact and the bottom ball joint free of wear?
You could park the car on level ground and a simple look from the front might show you that the offside is slightly lower than the nearside.

Regards,
Nick

OP
N

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Thanks.

Both tyres were fitted at the same time. Both were from the same batch. They were fitted about two months before both front springs were replaced.

I will check the ball joint, the ns was done last year the os may need doing.

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
Are they the standard sized wheels, i.e not upgraded from 16" to 17"?

OP
N

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Standard 16" wheels and 215 tyres.

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
Standard 16" wheels and 215 tyres.

OK,

JBerks did a thread about inner wear on owner's cars upgraded from 16 to 17 and the need to alter the (I think) camber bolts. He's got some knowledge of this kind of wear and might be worth contacting.

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
there will be a suspension bush that is worn/seized on the OSF that is causing the front wheel on that side to toe out too much.

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
I was just wondering about wheel bearing play or partial seizure causing that O/s tyre to drag when it should be free-wheeling.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
I would think the front lower arm bushes have worn, allowing the arm to kick out under braking. very common. Get them replaced and then check your camber/toe, if still out, fit modified camber bolts.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Which ever it is, camber or toe, we're all guessing.
Get a proper 4 wheel alignment check done. Whatever it is may be adjustable, and if not, they'll be able to tell you exactly what needs replacing.
Call into someone from here http://www.alignmycar.co.uk/ - the charge will be around £60 for a full work up and an hour's worth of adjustment, if it can be adjusted out. If not, tehy're normally some of the cheapest places to change the offending part too. Many of them do work for the MB dealers so often carry some common MB parts in stock.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
The trouble is that these bushes won't look that bad, but under braking move quite abit. It normally takes out the inner inch of tyre. you need to remove the lower arm to replace these.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom