Worth sorting out bodywork etc before sale?

tmrobinson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350d 2011
Hi all,

Interested in opinions.

Selling my GAD remapped S212 E350cdi shortly. Been a great family car but we are getting a camper van. Its got some superficial scratches, dents, alloy scuffs - I'm going to take it to a good local body shop next week but probably going to be a few 100 to sort. What do people think in terms of is it worth it? Its a 2011, 7 seater with 98000 on clock if that helps place its value.

Tim

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

It will make it easier to sell if it is looking it’s best, it won’t make it worth more.
Having said that if it does have a lot of dings and scrapes then potential purchasers will probably knock you down on the price and/or walk away to the next one.

OP
T

tmrobinson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350d 2011
Thanks Blobcat - yes I think overall (providing cost not ridiculous) its probably worth doing.

It needs a good clean for sure. I hope there are buyers out there - I was attracted to it so hopefully others will be to.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
E Class estates are always popular, just have to price it right and prepare it as well as you can.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Sounds like a well specced car, leather, pan roof/sunroof, COMAND and of course 7 seats sell the best. I would invest a few £100 in the bodywork and get the car up to a reasonable standard top spec 11 plate cars will realise up to £9k in a private sale

OP
T

tmrobinson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350d 2011
That’s more than I thought. No pan roof but good leather, memory seats etc and a set of winter alloys/wheels with detachable tow bar (that I’ve only used for a bike rack)

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I wouldn't buy a remapped car, regardless of visible condition. I will always expect that a remapped car has been hooned!

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Me? I'd spend time (guess you've got that right now) valeting it thoroughly and getting the outside looking its best.
Then I'd examine the result. You might find that it has sufficient appeal to be a selling proposition.
If it still looks bad, then's the time to take it to a bodyshop.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
First impressions are the key to selling a car. I would spend some time making it look good and like Umble said a good valet is important, polish some pounds into it. Give them as little reason to knock you down as you possibly can :)

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
That’s more than I thought. No pan roof but good leather, memory seats etc and a set of winter alloys/wheels with detachable tow bar (that I’ve only used for a bike rack)

Yes the estate is much more saleable than the saloon attracts quite a premium, as said clean it up but do get rid of the dings, local dent removal outfits do a good job in this respect especially with bumpers and dents where the paint hasn’t been broken

OP
T

tmrobinson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350d 2011
Well its gone in today to be sorted. Quote was £600 and had a chat to the local servicing garage who reckoned it was worth it. Going to then put it up on autotrader and probably ebay as well for £8.5k. I'm looking forward to the multiple 'best price mate' messages already!

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
I’d be wary putting on autotrader. There are precious few private sales on there.

I would try PistonHeads, gumtree and weirdly Facebook marketplace... sold my last car on there easily whereas auto trader was a waste of space and money. I’ve not tried eBay

Altamar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 SL400
I agree with others that first impressions are important and I also think how a car is presented for sale is an indication of how it has been looked after while the previous owner had it.

Dents, dings and scratches unrepaired tell me it was not necessarily a loved example. Cheap tyres tell me maintentance may have been skimped on etc.

These are reasons for me to walk away. not negotiate the price down.

There's aways a balance obviously with how much you want to spend in a bodyshop but as others have said, you can make a big difference with some elbow grease and a good interior clean - which again you can do yourself unless it is really bad.

Oh, and autotrader is the only place I buy and sell cars....

Good luck

Top Bottom