Would you fit tyres from 2008 on your car?

silver CL55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W216 CL500 2008. R230 SL350 2005
I see many second hand winter tyres from Germany for sale, most are 5 years old, with 7mm tread, I guess the regs there mean it is time to change them.
They are about half the price of new.

Would these be ok?

Would you?

Colin.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes I would, tyres deteriorate in the sun more that anything, plus the rubber gets harder with age, why not :D:D

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
The British Rubber Manufacturers Association (BRMA) recommended practice issued June, 2001, states "BRMA members strongly recommend that unused tyres should not be put into service if they are over six years old and that all tyres should be replaced ten years from the date of their manufacture."

"Environmental conditions like exposure to sunlight and coastal climates, as well as poor storage and infrequent use, accelerate the aging process. In ideal conditions, a tyre may have a life expectancy that exceeds ten years from its date of manufacture. However, such conditions are rare. Aging may not exhibit any external indications and, since there is no non-destructive test to assess the serviceability of a tyre, even an inspection carried out by a tyre expert may not reveal the extent of any deterioration."

More recently, The Japan Automobile Tire Manufacturers Association (JATMA) recommended practice issued May, 2005, states "customers are encouraged to have their vehicle tires promptly inspected after five years of use to determine if the tires can continue to be used (recommends spare tires be inspected as well). Furthermore, even when the tires look usable, it is recommended that all tires (including spare tires) that were made more than ten years ago be replaced with new tires. Additionally, because in some cases automobile makers--based on the characteristics of the relevant vehicle--stipulate in the owner's manual the timing of tire inspection and replacement. Please read and confirm the content of the owner's manual."

Several European vehicle manufacturers of high performance sports cars, coupes and sedans identify that "under no circumstances should tires older than 6 years be used" in their vehicle owner's manual. However, it should be noted that European recommendations must include driving conditions that include roads like the German Autobahn, which allows vehicles to be legally driven at their top speeds for extended periods of time.

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
Many second hand winter tyres from these countries as they have a "minimum" depth for these about 5mm, so if you are swapping tyres it might not be financially viable to put on for part of a winter.

I would wear them out in the summer of course ;)

08 is about on the borderline for age but lots of people run much much older. My wife's car has 2 originals from 2006 on her a class and they need to come off as they are cracking.

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
Because of past experience with delaminating, I now replace my caravan tyres every 5 years regardless of wear. Not worth the risk of a blowout in an inappropriate place apart from the potential damage a blown tyre can cause, particularly on a caravan. Many caravan owners are unaware of the issue and leave their tyres on because there is still plenty of tread left. They often pay the consequences, particularly here in higher road temps.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
I see no issue with them at that age. although it is 'recommended' they be changed, it is not a requirement that they be changed at ANY age here. I have some 'runners' (kept in case of emergency needing a tyre to get me out of a situation) that have been stored upright in my outhouses or sheds etc for a good while. I wouldnt hesitate in using them.

dad has a trailer that is seldom used, and only for short tip runs, as a rule, it has mk1/2 cortina/anglia hubs and wheels and crossply tyres on it. the trailer is a similar age to myself, and the trailer has NEVER had any tyres replaced. however, as said, it is a small trailer which is used for short, low speed tip runs usually, not running at full weight capacity at motorway speeds. if this were the case, the tyres WOULD be changed

GEORGEROV

Reaction score
Two Outbacks I am running came with 10 and 13 year old Yokohama full size spares in the boot , never used , but they are on one car now providing good service .

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
As above, if only poodling around town, or leisurely evening/weekend drives, I would fit them.
Continuous motorway or continental driving would be a different story though and if I needed to replace tyres they would be brand new ones.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
thing is, some tyre depots can have some of the less commonly sold sizes/brands in stock for 2-3 years before they sell them! thats why id have no issue using them!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
No crazing of the rubber then no problem with me either:D

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
thing is, some tyre depots can have some of the less commonly sold sizes/brands in stock for 2-3 years before they sell them! thats why id have no issue using them!

I went looking for some Bridgestone S02s (not the Potenzas) for the TVR and found some!!! They haven't been made for a very long time AFAIK.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom