Wrong wheel bolts ceased my handbrake on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lindowkid

Reaction score
Hi
Just finished a day out in the cold with my Merc 500SL 107 87. I recently put some different wheels on and have realised I used the original bolts and not the shorter ones that came with the wheels. I seemed to have bolted the longer bolts through the disc and caused the handbrake to cease on. I managed to release the nearside rear wheel a bit, but the off side seems locked and when I drove round the block the wheels started getting a bit warm - any advice on how to release this or if I have done any damage with the longer bolts ?
Andy :cry:

EXMERCTECH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320 V6 Diesel 2005
Wheel Bolts

You Don't say which wheels you have or changed to,
But DON'T DRIVE YOUR CAR you have more than likely damaged the handbrake shoe's/Backplate assy Get the wheels removed as soon as poss and get this checked,

OP
L

lindowkid

Reaction score
Good advice will be taking it into my expert tomorrow. Only a 2 mile trip so fingers crossed. Expensive tinker! advice to others - check what your buying when you buy second hand wheels. I'm not even sure what these are off they are flatface but not the same as the ones I took off.

simon brown

Reaction score
Same problems different car

Ive got a 93 300e 24 valve saloon with 16" 8 hole alloys (not sure of the name) Ive just purchased a 95 E320 coupe with the 15" 8 hole alloys and thought I would just swap the wheels overbefore I get rid of the saloon...or so I thought.

Whist the wheel fits OK the shorter bolts on the coupe are still too long when the bolt is tightened up to its max, there is still play between wheel and the hub. Do Merc do any spacers or shorter bolts and will I have a reversal of the problem when I put the 15" alloys on the saloon?

OP
L

lindowkid

Reaction score
Just to close off the handbrake and wheel nut fiasco. It turns out that this is a fairly common mistake particularly when you have a steel spare which requires shorter nuts (not applicable to me). What happened was that the longer nuts ratchited the handbrake expander unit up too tight and stuck the handbrake on. 2 hours labour and 1 new handbrake shackle later and I'm running free with beautifully adjusted handbrake. Phew!
Keep in mind if your tinkering with wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom