WWII Tank Found after 62 Years!

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
This was sent to me as an E-mail, thought it would be of interest.

Tank1.jpg

WW II Russian tank with German markings uncovered after 62 years. WW II Buffs will find this interesting. Even after 62 years (and a little tinkering), they were able to fire up the diesel engine!

A Komatsu D375A-2 bulldozer pulled the abandoned tank from its tomb under the boggy bank of a lake near Johvi , Estonia . The Soviet-built T34/76A tank had been resting at the bottom of the lake for 56 years. According to its specifications, it's a 27-ton machine with a top speed of 53km/hr.

From February to September 1944, heavy battles were fought in the narrow, 50 km-wide, Narva front in the northeastern part of Estonia . Over 100,000 men were killed and 300,000 men were wounded there. During battles in the summer of 1944, the tank was captured from the Soviet army and used by the German army. (This is the reason that there are German markings painted on the tank's exterior.) On 19th September, 1944, German troops began an organized retreat along the Narva front. It is suspected that the tank was then purposefully driven into the lake to conceal it when its captors left the area.

At that time, a local boy walking by the lake, Kurtna Matasjarv, noticed tank tracks leading into the lake but not coming out anywhere. For two months he saw air bubbles emerging from the lake. This gave him reason to believe that there must be an armored vehicle at the lake's bottom. A few years ago, he told the story to the leader of the local war history club 'Otsing'. Together with other club members, Mr. Igor Shedunov initiated diving expeditions to the bottom of the lake about a year ago. At the depth of 7 metres they discovered the tank resting under a 3 metre layer of peat.

Enthusiasts from the club, under Mr Shedunov's leadership, decided to pull the tank out. In September of 2000 they turned to Mr. Aleksander Borovkovthe, manager of the Narva open pit company AS Eesti Polevkivi, to rent the company's Komatsu D375A-2 bulldozer. (Currently used at the pit, the Komatsu dozer was manufactured in 1995, and has recorded 19,000 operating hours without major repairs.)

The pulling operation began at 09:00 and was concluded at 15:00, with several technical breaks. The weight of the tank, combined with the travel incline, made for a pulling operation that required significant muscle. The D375A-2 handled the operation with power and style. The weight of the fully-armed tank was around 30 tons, so the active force required to retrieve it was similar. A main requirement for the 68-ton dozer was to have enough weight to prevent slippage while moving up the hill.

After the tank surfaced, it turned out to be a 'trophy tank' that had been captured by the German army in the course of the battle at Sinimaed (Blue Hills) about six weeks before it was sunk in the lake. Altogether, 116 shells were found on board. Remarkably, the tank was in good condition, with NO RUST, and alll systems (except the engine) in working condition. This is a very rare machine, especially considering that it fought both on the Russian and the German sides. Plans are underway to fully restore the tank. It will be displayed at a war history museum in the Gorodenko village on the left bank of the River Narv.

Preparing to pull it out.
tank2.jpg

People from the nearby village come to watch.
tank3.jpg

TANK12A.jpg

Komatsu D375A-2 is ready to go.
tank4.jpg

Here it comes...
tank5.jpg

Through the muddy bank of the lake
tank6.jpg

tank8.jpg

tank9.jpg

In mint condition.
tank10.jpg

Hosing off 62 years worth of 'muck.'
tank11.jpg

Incredibly, after a few minor repairs, they were able to start its diesel engine.
tank12.jpg

Pretty amazing ... diesel rules !

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Would have loved to have been there to watch that!!!!!

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
It is well known that peat is a fantastic preservative...

dizzy lizzy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL129 (diesel),2 x 124 250D,190d 2.5
super......good job Brian never found it.....he would be running it up to Tescos.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Makes you wonder what ease is sitting out there to be found!!

Theres a place called "hammonds pond" in the new forest, Andy will no this place, a lot of eye witness see a spitfire hit the pond one night, but was never found!!

So the story go's!!

OP
bigasotonuk

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
During thre War (Sounds like Uncle Albert) the Americans had a presence at the airfield at Stoney Cross in the New Forest, when they pulled out they left "everything" all they did was bury it in great pits, lorries, jeeps, tools, guns, aircraft, engines etc indeed everything that was needed to operate a WWII airfield, how true this was i don,t know but i have heard it from more than one source. I asked the question why no one had dug it up, but they allegedly also filled the pits with lime too.
Truth or myth? dunno.

Doug1234

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 w210 e300td
During thre War (Sounds like Uncle Albert) the Americans had a presence at the airfield at Stoney Cross in the New Forest, when they pulled out they left "everything" all they did was bury it in great pits, lorries, jeeps, tools, guns, aircraft, engines etc indeed everything that was needed to operate a WWII airfield, how true this was i don,t know but i have heard it from more than one source. I asked the question why no one had dug it up, but they allegedly also filled the pits with lime too.
Truth or myth? dunno.

Similar stories around my way with tales of the same burying of kit at Little Staughton Airfield Bedfordshire.

Americans were all over the place around here with Thurleigh / Santa pod / many others and of course Tempsford where the SOE flights left from.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
That is a fantastic feat of recovery. The energy required to pull the tank, plus lots of peat, plus all the water in the tank through, not over the peat and up that steep incline must have been enormous.

A great tribute to those who fitted the eye pads to the tank originally, and to those who affixed the towing lines to it whilst still buried in peat and underwater.

I use to sail Lasers (very light fiber glass one person dinghy). It had a hollow hull and a bung at the rear to let out any water that might get in. I remember that one of the other sailors left the bung out whilst his boat was laid up and forgot to replace it before sailing. Getting a Laser out of the water was normally a single person task. With his boat hull full of water, several of us could not shift it and we had to let it drain (as the tank did once they got it out) before we could move it.

Respect for the recovery crew!

Gary Hanson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Jag. Jags are my favourite.
My grandfather used to tell me about some old steam engines which were put into a flooded clay pit near the brickworks he'd worked at. (near Irlam and Mcr Ship canal). I know the clay pits he meant because he showed them to me when I was a kid. From the satellite map it looks like they've gone. Probably filled in to extend the housing estate. I wonder if anyone got any steam engines out of them first.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom