Xenon / HID headlights - Installing aftermarket xenon/HID he

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesG

Reaction score
Greetings fellow Mercedes Benz owners. I own a 1991 300SL which I just love. It has standard halogen headlights which are good, but I'm wanting to install some proper xenon/HID units and not just the xenon-look bulbs. Are there any good units out there that any of you have upgraded to? What's the verdict? Where did you purchase from? I'd like the actual headlights which look slightly different but can they plug straight into the standard power socket? Any help/tips would be very much appreciated, as would web site addresses. Otherwise are there good quality "European" headlights. Location is Germany, but I'm quite happy to order online.

(Edited by JamesG at 8:34 am on Mar. 8, 2002)

fuzzer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Xenon / HID headlights

Xenon headlights are amasing , I want some too

mkg988

Reaction score
Xenon / HID headlights

I have investigated this for my w210 e-class. And in the states Hella sell a retrofit kit that replaces the existing light units. There are European laws concerning Xenon lights though, they have to have automatic height adjustment, and have to have washer jets. Both of these requirements are covered by Hella kits.

Unfortunately I havent been able to find anyone who can sell a U.K. Version of these kits, so I too would be interested!

Hope this helps,
                      Martin

Matt Crooke

Reaction score
Xenon / HID headlights

There was an earlier post about this. A guy wanted to install them on his A class. Apparently the job is a very expensive nightmare. I know what you mean though, they do look very effective. I was infront of a Lexus last night on the way home who had them....very nice.

If i remember correctly the advice was, just go and by the bulbs and do it that way.

Martin

Reaction score
Xenon / HID headlights

I have xenon lights on my E Class and there is a sticker under the bonnet warning of electric shock as they run at around 25,000 volts. I think this may make retro fitting a more complex job than simply fitting new bulbs. I also had one of my bulbs changed as they were different colours left and right, this was done under warranty but the bulb would have cost around £90, also the bulb was long and thin, very different from the normal halogen bulbs which might require differently shaped reflectors to work properly.

fuzzer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Xenon / HID headlights

Hmmm , i read the bulbs never need changed , interesting  ... Are they worth the £800 martin ?

MBenz

Reaction score
Website
members.tripodnet.nl
Xenon / HID headlights

I have a 1990 300SL24 and have done the OEM MB Xenon conversion last year. Mercedes sells complete kits to go Xenon (although they say it is only for 97+ R129s) and has complete kits to add headlight washers as well.

xenonbox.JPG

...the MB box with complete Xenon kit (headlights, high voltage units and auto levelling system)...

koplampen.jpg

...the difference in Xenon and standard headlights...

300SL-newfront4.JPG

...frontview...

HIDballast1.jpg

The headlights can be swapped fairly easily but the Xenon headlights come with a separate high voltage unit that has to be mounted on the chassis. The right side high voltage unit needs to be mounted under the fender which can be done easily, but for the left side high voltage unit mercedes had a different mounting spot in mind. The older R129s have ABS, ASR and airco components that make it impossible to mount the high voltage unit on the spot it should be (but there are alternatives).

sensor1.JPG

To add the auto levelling system, you need to mount 1 sensor in the front and 1 in the rear that are both connected with the sway-bar. Both swaybars need to have an indented spot where the sensors connect on/to.
The front sensor is rather easy to install, the rear one requires the complete axle/drivertrain to be lowered which is quiet a lot of work.
The levelling compu is small and easy to mount in the car, but the wiring from front to rear requires a lot of work as well.

300SL-90-5.JPG

...a before pic of my 300SL24...

greetingz,

MBenz

Reaction score
Website
members.tripodnet.nl
Xenon / HID headlights

Because of the improved lightpattern on my 300SL, I also wanted to have Xenons on my 1993 C250D...but mercedes does not sell complete Xenon packages for the W202 and only sells separate parts for way too much money (I would have ended up twice as expensive as with the Xenon conversion on the R129).

I have bought new headlights on-line from a German company (I drive on the "other" side of the road) and used high voltage units. I added headlight washers and changed the electronic levelling parts on the headlight for vacuum operated parts so that I am able to adjust the light height with the original vacuum switch. I did not want to go through the auto levelling labor a second time and in contrary to the R129 headlights, the W202 has Xenon headlights that make it possible to swap back to vacuum control again.

ballast-L06.jpg

...right side high voltage unit (which is connected to the headlight with a separate connector...different as with the R129)...

ballast-R04.jpg

...left side high voltage unit...

koplampwisser1.jpg

...I added headlight washers on the C250D as well...

modfront05.jpg

...97+ Xenon headlight in 1993 W202...

adjust-pos3.jpg

...swapped headlight height adjusting parts...electric motor on the left and vacuum pod on the right...

w202-console06.jpg

...additional headlight washer switch (cause I don't like the OEM headlight washer activating set-up)...

polished09.jpg

...the endresult...

greetingz,

OP
J

JamesG

Reaction score
Xenon / HID headlights

Yes, I must agree that the assistance we've received from fellow Mercedes Benz owners/enthusiasts has been excellent. Thank you very much to all of you - the information you've left will not only help me but many others as well.

A very special thank you to MBenz and the info and pictures you have left. Your efforts are very much appreciated. For all you fellow owners/enthusiasts, please take a few minutes to visit his sites:

http://www.MBenz.NL
http://www.benzsport.com

Wishing you all happy and safe motoring in your beautiful cars (there is nothing like the 3-pointed star is there).

Best regards,
James

(Edited by JamesG at 9:50 pm on Mar. 9, 2002)

(Edited by JamesG at 10:01 pm on Mar. 9, 2002)

(Edited by JamesG at 10:04 pm on Mar. 9, 2002)

Martin

Reaction score
Xenon / HID headlights

Jason

Yes, I think it was worthwhile. The extra included the washers which were around £400 on their own, so I was able to delude myself that the xenons only cost £400! Nearly half my driving is in the dark and they really do make a difference. This is really brought home when I travel in another car with normal headlights.

Matt Crooke

Reaction score
Xenon / HID headlights

Quality post i have to say. The visual difference alone is excellent.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Xenon / HID headlights

Sorry, I must be being a bit dim, but on my commute I started looking at the front ends of all the new cars.

Most had the new "clear" lenses, so I presume they had the xenon headlamps. Why didn't they have washers, then? I saw Audis, VW Golfs, Peugeots, the list goes on! So why are they necessary on the Merc, but not on other cars...?

Hmm... Just a thought :)

Gareth

Martin

Reaction score
Xenon / HID headlights

Clear lenses can cover either traditional halogen or xenon bulbs. The lenses of my E220CDi are plastic, but are ribbed rather than very clear, but I still have xenon bulbs. I believe that the very clear lenses have been made possible by the more accurate reflectors that have been made possible through computer aided design and manufacture. Traditionally, the ribs in the lens worked with the reflector to control the light beam. With more accurate reflectors, the lens can be clear without needing to be ribbed/shaped to alter the light pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom