Yellow 'Engine diagnostic indicator lamp light' On

MALTESESL500AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 SL500 AMG KIT
Took my SL 500 for an exhaust check since it was making a minor rattling noise, problem was rectified but on my way back home the yellow engine light ( engine diagnostic indicator lamp) came on. According to the hand book the faults could be either empty fuel tank, fuel injection fault, ignition fault, or fault in the exhaust system. After it was confirmed with my mech that no power loss was felt. I was told that there was no reason to worry and was asked to re-visit the shop to rectify the light on problem. Could this be an exhaust sensor or wire came loose ??

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It could be the start of the CPS failing, see if the light goes out after the next few starts.

Did the lamp come on as you were driving or after you started the car.

OP
M

MALTESESL500AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 SL500 AMG KIT
What is the CPS.. the light stayed on after starting... i did try to re-start it a few times but light stayed on. Just confirmed with mech that the exhausts were unbolted for checking.. this was supposed to be a minor rattle check.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I bet they have disturbed the wire on the lower 02 sensor

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
CPS=Crank Position Sensor.

Could be something as simple as the lambda sensor coming unplugged. If you have pre and post cat lambda sensors the rattle could be a cat breaking up and that will give an engine management fault but still drive normally.

Last edited:
OP
M

MALTESESL500AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 SL500 AMG KIT
CPS=Crank Position Sensor.

Could be something as simple as the lambda sensor coming unplugged. If you have pre and post cat lambda sensors the rattle could be a cat breaking up and that will give an engine management fault but still drive normally.

Rattle was caused by bolt or bolts a bit loose . no big problem there ..rattle was very faint but i could note it,,,, my bet is they disturbed a wire or sensor.. mechs fault I guess.. should be more attentive.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom