Yet another bit drops off.

sailorjim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB C200 EXECUTIVE ESTATE 2018
Opened the bonnet today to top up the washers, and the little toggle to pull forward the safety catch broke off in my hand. What a performance! Eventually I managed to lever it down against the spring and pull it forward with a pair of snipe nosed pliers, but you wouldn't want to be doing it at night in the rain. It's got a piece of string attached now through the grill so I can open the bonnet, albeit with some difficulty, but it's obviously not a permanent solution. Anyone know - can you buy the flimsy plastic tag seperately, or must you buy the whole assembly (or even the whole bonnet - nothing would surprise me)

I've never had a car that so many bits have just dropped off - in fact it's been rare for a bit to drop off at all in any car I've had.

C-class 180 classic early 2002 (Yeah, I know now!)

Iain the gadget

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 230CLK W163 ML270cdi
Opened the bonnet today to top up the washers, and the little toggle to pull forward the safety catch broke off in my hand. What a performance! Eventually I managed to lever it down against the spring and pull it forward with a pair of snipe nosed pliers, but you wouldn't want to be doing it at night in the rain. It's got a piece of string attached now through the grill so I can open the bonnet, albeit with some difficulty, but it's obviously not a permanent solution. Anyone know - can you buy the flimsy plastic tag seperately, or must you buy the whole assembly (or even the whole bonnet - nothing would surprise me)

I've never had a car that so many bits have just dropped off - in fact it's been rare for a bit to drop off at all in any car I've had.

C-class 180 classic early 2002 (Yeah, I know now!)
Try 2 weetabix instead of your usual 3. You don't know your own strength man!:mrgreen:

OP
S

sailorjim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB C200 EXECUTIVE ESTATE 2018
Thanks, Malcolm, that makes it all clearer - how do you do it?. My local MB dealer says it is possible to source the plastic tag separately but "they advise" that the whole sub asembly is fitted. Cynicism tells me that of course they do - it costs more (£20) but in fact it seems to be a simple bolt on job, rather then fiddling about trying to assemble the bits against quite a strong spring, so I guess it makes sense.

For one thing, you don't realise until the thing breaks off how flimsy it is, you could easily break it trying to re-assemble without the jig it is presumably done with. I take you point, Iain, about the weetabix but it is actually only 1.5mm thick apart from 3mm ribs at the sides, and it is also lop-sided so that the pull on it is not straight. Add to this that it's cheap plastic that you might find on an old Trabant not the fibrous stuff modern cars use, and I'm surprised that it's lasted this long.

The amazing thing is that they keep them in stock - this will be the very first thing that's gone wrong (there have been quite a number) that I haven't had to wait at least 24 hours for. Is this a new policy, or simply that they sell dozens a month?

Last edited:

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
The amazing thing is that they keep them in stock - this will be the very first thing that's gone wrong (there have been quite a number) that I haven't had to wait at least 24 hours for. Is this a new policy, or simply that they sell dozens a month?

If they have them in stock then I suspect they go through quite a few!
That said, I've never heard of one breaking before and I've certainly never had a problem with one.

Richard Moakes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500; ML500
When I went to look at and test drive my late departed W124, my mother 'snapped' off that plastic lever as she went to open the bonnet and didn't understand how it worked.

I 'had' to buy the car after that, or thats what I told her anyway ;-) and we always call her snap whenever she goes near any of my cars these days.

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
Fasten a short bit of electrical cable to the inside so it loops out through the grill --does not look very good but will work until you get another ! (plenty at breakers or on Ebay)
Regards Teddy

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
We have had about 6 on here that have broken in the last 4 years, so not a huge problem

mb300d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e300d
it is very easy to fit a new one; just bolts in place. There is a small amount of adjustment to make the plastic piece sit flush in the grille. It will be obvious when you get the new piece - only buy the plastic bit not the whole lot; it is all hidden from view anyway.

fyi it is not your herculean strength that has caused this - that "flimsy" plastic part was never designed to lift the bonnet with - it is simply a release mechanism - you lift the bonnet with your other hand from the base under the grille. Just pull the plastic piece forward and NOT up.

Top Bottom