Yet another "New Baby"

teabag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 W163 ML270 CDI
As I'm now back on my own 2 feet and discarded the wheel-chair I've been using for the last 6 months, I've managed to dispose of the "Kia Carens" I was using to transport it around. I got used to the massive boot on the Carens so I decided to buy another MPV to replace it, but this one had to be quiet and comfortable and also have a bit of "street cred" so I took the plunge and ordered a brand new W246 B180CDi last Monday.

I did not have a lot of choice as far as specification and trim levels were were concerned as I needed the car pretty quickly and was not prepared to wait the 4 or 5 months quoted by MB of Sunderland if I were to order a car to my taste. I told them I needed a diesel automatic and they found a white B180CDi SE which was sitting in Bristol as a result of a cancelled order for immediate delivery.
The only extra specified on this car was "Lumbar adjustment" at an extra cost of £164, so I said I would take it if they filled the tank and gave me a set of mats.

I took delivery of the car last Thursday complete with a full fuel tank and 4 velour mats and I must say I have been pleasantly surprised with the level of equipment supplied as standard and also with the performance and economy of the car over the first 500 miles of mixed motorway and urban use. The computer tells me 54.3 MPG but I can't validate this yet at the pump as I don't know how full the "Full tankof fuel" was
The engine combined with the 7 speed auto-box has enough grunt to keep up with traffic and is very quiet and refined at motorway speeds (1800 rpm at 70mph), the stop start technology takes a bit of getting used to but is ok as long as you remember to switch it off when you reach the front of the queue at roundabouts. The only thing I do not like is the gear selector which is mounted on the right of the steering column and looks just like the indicator stalk of my 124 cabriolet, it just feels alien to be using your right hand to select between drive and reverse but I suppose I will get used to it in time as long as I do not select reverse by mistake when sitting at the lights waiting to turn left.

The colour is starting to grow on me but white would not have been my first choice, nor would the black cloth uphostery athough it suits the car well and seems very serviceable, I still prefer the look and feel of leather.

I must be getting lazy as the only thing I feel the car needs is "Sat Nav", I know I can use my "Garmin Nuvi" but it looks out of place in the car so I may be tempted to buy the "Becker Map Pilot" which the car is pre-wired to accept but the cost of £600 or so MB ask for this is a bit off putting, so if anyone knows of an aftermarket supplier for this module please let me know.

OP
teabag

teabag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 W163 ML270 CDI
eBay may be your friend here re Becker
Thanks,

I've just had a look and they range anywhere from £300 to £495 but I'm not sure if I want to risk that kind of money on eBay unless anyone knows of a personal recommendation to a particular supplier.

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
www.schnauzersinireland.com
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
Thanks,

I've just had a look and they range anywhere from £300 to £495 but I'm not sure if I want to risk that kind of money on eBay unless anyone knows of a personal recommendation to a particular supplier.

If m b price of £600 included fitting then its not far off anything else you have seen,, might be your best bet in the long term. You could try for a bit of discount you never know.

Last edited:

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Thanks,

I hate eBay with a passion and feel the same as you, but not all do...

OP
teabag

teabag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 W163 ML270 CDI
If m b price of £600 included fitting then its not far off anything else you have seen,, might be your best bet in the long term. You could try for a bit of discount you never know.

I've decided to take a chance and have just won an auction on German Ebay with a bid of 295 Euros plus 10 Euro postage, this works out at £254 in total so I believe its worth a punt to try and save around £350.

I've also had a word with one of the techs at MB and he reckons it takes less than 20 seconds to fit and about 20 seconds to initialise into the Audio 20 system as it is simply plug and play.

I'm expecting delivery some time in the latter half of next week so I'll be keeping everything crossed until I see it working.

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
www.schnauzersinireland.com
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
I've decided to take a chance and have just won an auction on German Ebay with a bid of 295 Euros plus 10 Euro postage, this works out at £254 in total so I believe its worth a punt to try and save around £350.

I've also had a word with one of the techs at MB and he reckons it takes less than 20 seconds to fit and about 20 seconds to initialise into the Audio 20 system as it is simply plug and play.

I'm expecting delivery some time in the latter half of next week so I'll be keeping everything crossed until I see it working.

Might have got yourself a bit of a deal if all goes well . Cheers
What model did you purchase .

OP
teabag

teabag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 W163 ML270 CDI
(Original Mercedes Becker Map Pilot 2 Generation Navi 8 GB Genuine A 166 900 95 08) is the sellers description with photos of it still in a sealed box, so hopefully this is the real deal.

OP
teabag

teabag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 W163 ML270 CDI

Well the Becker Map Pilot module arrived today while I was at work, it took me longer to open the box than it took to fit it, the Audio 20 found it immediately and and "BINGO" it works just like it says on the tin.

"Simples Tttcchh" :lol:

bertg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class 2013
As I'm now back on my own 2 feet and discarded the wheel-chair I've been using for the last 6 months, I've managed to dispose of the "Kia Carens" I was using to transport it around. I got used to the massive boot on the Carens so I decided to buy another MPV to replace it, but this one had to be quiet and comfortable and also have a bit of "street cred" so I took the plunge and ordered a brand new W246 B180CDi last Monday.

I did not have a lot of choice as far as specification and trim levels were were concerned as I needed the car pretty quickly and was not prepared to wait the 4 or 5 months quoted by MB of Sunderland if I were to order a car to my taste. I told them I needed a diesel automatic and they found a white B180CDi SE which was sitting in Bristol as a result of a cancelled order for immediate delivery.
The only extra specified on this car was "Lumbar adjustment" at an extra cost of £164, so I said I would take it if they filled the tank and gave me a set of mats.

I took delivery of the car last Thursday complete with a full fuel tank and 4 velour mats and I must say I have been pleasantly surprised with the level of equipment supplied as standard and also with the performance and economy of the car over the first 500 miles of mixed motorway and urban use. The computer tells me 54.3 MPG but I can't validate this yet at the pump as I don't know how full the "Full tankof fuel" was
The engine combined with the 7 speed auto-box has enough grunt to keep up with traffic and is very quiet and refined at motorway speeds (1800 rpm at 70mph), the stop start technology takes a bit of getting used to but is ok as long as you remember to switch it off when you reach the front of the queue at roundabouts. The only thing I do not like is the gear selector which is mounted on the right of the steering column and looks just like the indicator stalk of my 124 cabriolet, it just feels alien to be using your right hand to select between drive and reverse but I suppose I will get used to it in time as long as I do not select reverse by mistake when sitting at the lights waiting to turn left.

The colour is starting to grow on me but white would not have been my first choice, nor would the black cloth uphostery athough it suits the car well and seems very serviceable, I still prefer the look and feel of leather.

I must be getting lazy as the only thing I feel the car needs is "Sat Nav", I know I can use my "Garmin Nuvi" but it looks out of place in the car so I may be tempted to buy the "Becker Map Pilot" which the car is pre-wired to accept but the cost of £600 or so MB ask for this is a bit off putting, so if anyone knows of an aftermarket supplier for this module please let me know.
on Ebay there is a seller based in west London who will sell you an up to date version brand new for £300.00. Can't argue with that.
Great choice of car btw, i'm still waiting for mine.
;)

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Thanks,

I paid £850 for a COMAND NTG 2.5 off eBay..
It was a great buy and has never put a foot wrong.
There is no risk as long as Paypal is linked to a credit card (Or just pay by credit card)..
I have done over 600 transactions on ebay and only 3 times have I ever had to claim from Paypal..(Paypal cover you for £500 as well).

I phoned up my credit card company a while back just to check that you are indeed covered if the card is linked to paypal.. YES YOU ARE !!

OP
teabag

teabag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 W163 ML270 CDI
on Ebay there is a seller based in west London who will sell you an up to date version brand new for £300.00. Can't argue with that.
Great choice of car btw, i'm still waiting for mine.
;)
Thanks, I managed to get one for £254 from german Ebay so I was laughing.
The car has turned out to be a great choice, now I've figuredout how to work it I love it.

OP
teabag

teabag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 W163 ML270 CDI
I paid £850 for a COMAND NTG 2.5 off eBay..
It was a great buy and has never put a foot wrong.
There is no risk as long as Paypal is linked to a credit card (Or just pay by credit card)..
I have done over 600 transactions on ebay and only 3 times have I ever had to claim from Paypal..(Paypal cover you for £500 as well).

I phoned up my credit card company a while back just to check that you are indeed covered if the card is linked to paypal.. YES YOU ARE !!
Thanks Simon, I've made a few transactions recently and am begining to trust it more than I used to.
Are you coming to the GTG at the lakes in April? it would be nice to see you again.

Top Bottom