Young drivers

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
just very jealous but not too old to remember :cool:

That's the thing about "old timers' disease" - you can remember distant events rather than recent ones - but then by that point anything worth remembering was probably quite a while ago.................?

roofless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 e220 estate
That's the thing about "old timers' disease" - you can remember distant events rather than recent ones - but then by that point anything worth remembering was probably quite a while ago.................?

thats a good thing the way things are now

Mackers_87

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
02 C200k Coupe SE Tip-Auto
this subject really annoys me. us young drivers always take the kop for everyone else. the accidents on the road has nothing to do with your amount of time learning or age, i only had 14 hours of lessons when i passed my test at 17. it is all down to your instinctive understanding and ability to drive a car. its the same with everything in life. i could do the same training as an olympic athlete but could i compete in the olyimpics no i couldnt. also when you are learning it is nothing like when you drive on your own. and i mean how many people on this website can hold their hand up and say they have never broke the speed limit, always use there indicators and basically drive like you do when your learning. even instructors dont when on there own. most of the accidents today is because of our lifestyles, rushing around to get things or make deadlines.

there are lots of drivers between the age of 25 and 50 the so called "most responsible and experienced drivers" that have had stupid accidents. also i can bet this age range has more speeding fines.

i have to pay stupidly rediculous prices for insurance because im 21. but someone who is 42 has 4 accidents and 6 points can get insurance for hundreds of pounds cheaper. its rediculous.

a lot of bad habbits are also picked up off your parents. you are a passenger for 17 years of your life, so if your mum and dad do things in the car you will get used to it and it will automatically be imbeded in your brain that its ok to do that.

its always so easy to blame the youth, but its not always us.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
i have to pay stupidly rediculous prices for insurance because im 21

I tried to insure a TR3a when I was 21 years old (1967). The broker could not even get a quote. I went round to see my insurers at the time (Norwich Union). The person at the desk could not help, so I asked to see the manager.

After a short conversation, he offered to insure me at the same rate as I was paying for my current car. His explanation, "now that I have met you and discussed it, I am allowed to use my discretion".

I don't know if the insurance industry thinks about things that way any more (you could also see a bank manager in those days!) but it may be worth a try?

He made a good assessment. I didn't cost him a penny.

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
Statistics show the amount of accidents caused by young inexperienced drivers are very high. this is why most of them generally get blamed and therefore pay a high premium.
When i spent my first 17 yrs being transported around by my parents i can honestly say i never took any notice of the way they drove. I was never frightened by their driving so why would i take notice?
Had my first lesson on 17th birthday and 10 lessons later passed my test.
I had 3 minor knocks in my first year due to inexperince,mainly not taking enough notice of what was happening around me.
I had a drive in a 380hp subaru the other day. Wow,it is so difficult to adhere to the speed limit in that car !
160mph+ motorcycles also seem difficult to ride and comply with the speed limits ?
I always found it was easy to crawl along in an auto though?
Again,statistics claim that auto drivers have less accidents than manual drivers?
Youngsters have a faster reaction time but lack the experience to go with it. Many are very heavy footed with the accelerator and then propell themselves into danger. supposedly the more mature driver has grown out of this?
I know there are exceptions. Lewis hamilton is currently the fastest driver at such a young age.
Rally drivers seem to be a lot older though and maybe this would imply you need so much more experience to read the road?

the 50+ driver has an vast amount of experience

Cnics

Reaction score
Website
www.cnics.co.uk
Vast amount of experience but SOME (a minority but still some) have their reaction times slowed down to a point where experience matters less and less.

I'd like to quote Splatt if i may and pick out a flaw in his comment.

It`s not a case of who is right or wrong but who lives or dies.

My problem with that quote is that it's not in big red capitals on the front page of the forum and stuck to the dashboard of every car to remind people.

Rob

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
this subject really annoys me. us young drivers always take the kop for everyone else. the accidents on the road has nothing to do with your amount of time learning or age, i only had 14 hours of lessons when i passed my test at 17. it is all down to your instinctive understanding and ability to drive a car. its the same with everything in life. i could do the same training as an olympic athlete but could i compete in the olyimpics no i couldnt. also when you are learning it is nothing like when you drive on your own. and i mean how many people on this website can hold their hand up and say they have never broke the speed limit, always use there indicators and basically drive like you do when your learning. even instructors dont when on there own. most of the accidents today is because of our lifestyles, rushing around to get things or make deadlines.

there are lots of drivers between the age of 25 and 50 the so called "most responsible and experienced drivers" that have had stupid accidents. also i can bet this age range has more speeding fines.

i have to pay stupidly rediculous prices for insurance because im 21. but someone who is 42 has 4 accidents and 6 points can get insurance for hundreds of pounds cheaper. its rediculous.

a lot of bad habbits are also picked up off your parents. you are a passenger for 17 years of your life, so if your mum and dad do things in the car you will get used to it and it will automatically be imbeded in your brain that its ok to do that.

its always so easy to blame the youth, but its not always us.

Wow! One thing for sure - you don't let the facts get in the way of your rant, do you? :rolleyes:

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
I tried to insure a TR3a when I was 21 years old (1967). The broker could not even get a quote. I went round to see my insurers at the time (Norwich Union). The person at the desk could not help, so I asked to see the manager.

After a short conversation, he offered to insure me at the same rate as I was paying for my current car. His explanation, "now that I have met you and discussed it, I am allowed to use my discretion".

I don't know if the insurance industry thinks about things that way any more (you could also see a bank manager in those days!) but it may be worth a try?

He made a good assessment. I didn't cost him a penny.

It's a long way to go to an Indian Call Centre - in the hope that you will 'see' someone face-to-face :lol:

GseRacing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172/2012/250
As a young driver (24) the most annoying thing about this thread is the...when i was 21 i had this crsh, i had this knock, i wrote off my dads car! Well guess what, im 24 and have only ever had any involvement in one insurance claim in my whole life for........FLOODING!!! Yes, it sodding rained!!!!!

As Mackers87 pointed out there are many older drivers with 6-9 points had four accidents and are still paying a fraction of the cost of insurance that i am! Now please i ask you, and i mean take this question seriously, how is it fair that i am paying much more on insurance than this clear liability?! <- attack on insurance companies not older drivers!!!

carlsson20

Reaction score
one good thing about getting old, cheap car insurance, gse racing what do you pay for insurance, if you don't mind me asking.

GseRacing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172/2012/250
TPF+T 1150ish, if i wanted fully comp it would have been 2500ish. 6 years driving, 2 NCB(flooding) decentish area.

carlsson20

Reaction score
I'll just pee you off then :)
last few silly cars
2004 SL fully comp, protected bonus £440
ur 20v Quattro £210, limited to7k agreed value fully comp
S4 Audi £420 fully comp
911 turbo £460 fully comp

GseRacing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172/2012/250
Well then thats fair enough. If you were paying that and you had 5 mintues no claims and 11.5 points i would be asking what your X years experience was worth over my six?

GseRacing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172/2012/250
Six years experience, no points, one claim 2 years ago for flooding never claimed for running out of talent whether my fault or not.

blingy

Reaction score
i think any new drivers should be limited to certain power engines as we all know speed is the biggest killer and if there car is modified in that first year then high fines should come into play to make the point clear

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
i think any new drivers should be limited to certain power engines as we all know speed is the biggest killer and if there car is modified in that first year then high fines should come into play to make the point clear

Sorry, I disagree totally. It is INAPPROPRIATE speed that kills. You can kill at 10mph when the appropriate speed should be 2mph.

Top Bottom