wheels

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Your vehicle left the factory with a staggered setup. If you change it your insurance company will view it as a modification and if not declared it may invalidate your insurance.

Given MB designed it that way for a reason why would you change it?

Incidentally the quickest way not to get help is to insult people. If you don't like what they say ignore their post.

Last edited:
OP
Aidan Carey

Aidan Carey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d avantgarde. 2010 w212
Your vehicle left the factory with a staggered setup. If you change it your insurance company will view it as a modification and if not declared it may invalidate your insurance.

Given MB designed it that way for a reason why would you change it?
let me worry about my insurance, i want facts about practical mechanical set ups.

OP
Aidan Carey

Aidan Carey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Then try it.
is this forum all about try it and see ?. i want proper pratical fact, if your advise is try and see then better not advise.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Man do you have an attitude problem or what?

The try and see was to find out if they clear the suspension or not. That's the first obstacle. Then do they clear the wheel arch or not? Second obstacle.

You also asked "can I fit" so the short answer is yes. Will the work is another matter. To expect people on here to offer you a definitive answer (when no one here would do it) is like asking for winning lottery numbers.
As part of a "can I" question is the issue of legality but you obviously aren't concerned by that because I guess you'd already thought of it.

One of the things this forum is good at is looking at issues from all sides be they technical or legal.

Frankly I doubt you'll get an answer because no one will want to be insulted by you. You may want to try somewhere else.

OP
Aidan Carey

Aidan Carey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Man do you have an attitude problem or what?

The try and see was to find out if they clear the suspension or not. That's the first obstacle. Then do they clear the wheel arch or not? Second obstacle.

You also asked "can I fit" so the short answer is yes. Will the work is another matter. To expect people on here to offer you a definitive answer (when no one here would do it) is like asking for winning lottery numbers.
As part of a "can I" question is the issue of legality but you obviously aren't concerned by that because I guess you'd already thought of it.

One of the things this forum is good at is looking at issues from all sides be they technical or legal.

Frankly I doubt you'll get an answer because no one will want to be insulted by you. You may want to try somewhere else.
you havent got a clue about practical issues. do you not understand i don't want try it and see and by the way your oppinion is your opinion and not fact. i didn't ask for opinions.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
you havent got a clue about practical issues. do you not understand i don't want try it and see and by the way your oppinion is your opinion and not fact. i didn't ask for opinions.

Oh really. So I haven't got a clue. Presumably you know all about offsets and the effects they have on wheel bearings, contact patches, spring rates, scrub radii and handling (something I have some knowledge of). Since you know it all why did you ask the question?

OP
Aidan Carey

Aidan Carey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Oh really. So I haven't got a clue. Presumably you know all about offsets and the effects they have on wheel bearings, contact patches, spring rates, scrub radii and handling (something I have some knowledge of). Since you know it all why did you ask the question?
some knowledge yes but not a lot. set the books down and get your hands dirty and then give me FACTS. If you cant do that then don't reply.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Try it. Like I said. Then you'll know if the offset is an issue on the wheels.

Incidentally I don't need books (but you might benefit from learning a few manners).

Alternatively get me the offsets of the two different wheels (if you know how). Then I'll consider if I'm going to help further.

OP
Aidan Carey

Aidan Carey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Try it. Like I said. Then you'll know if the offset is an issue on the wheels.

Incidentally I don't need books (but you might benefit from learning a few manners).

Alternatively get me the offsets of the two different wheels (if you know how). Then I'll consider if I'm going to help further.
look i told you i dont want try it and see.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In that case I don't want to tell you how to find out.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
you also are a book reader and with all respects you dont know about practical technicalities.

Ahhh. He a READIN' MAN! Hooo-eee! He betta keep them thar letters to hisself round here!

What an insulting thing to say to a genuinely nice, extremely helpful member. You've come on here, asked a question, demonstrated yourself to be a bit too fikk to understand the fairly obvious answer and now insult the people who have given their time to help you. Cheers, I'm out.

I bet you're a delight at the staff Xmas do.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
is this forum all about try it and see ?. i want proper pratical fact, if your advise is try and see then better not advise.

What is "practical fact" you've been given fact and data on what the car is designed to run on. That's good enough for the Chassis boys in Dortmund design centre, should be for you too.

Or is it cuz it uses them letters thangs?

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo
some knowledge yes but not a lot. set the books down and get your hands dirty and then give me FACTS. If you cant do that then don't reply.

You want facts? All the 18 inch and bigger wheels that the W212 comes out of the factory on are staggered (wider rears with different offsets). 17 inches and smaller are same all around size. If you don't like it tough. I just have a feeling you don't want to shell out for the bigger tyres.

If you don't believe me about the wheels do some research for yourself and see what you find. Some models did come with all around 18"s in the past like my 2007 CLS, but that is no more.

Don't like it still? Sell the car and buy another one with same size front and back.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Sorry I was late to this party! (Not)
Op- the chances of anyone on here having ACTUALLY done the specific thing you are enquiring about is slim at best. By the replies clearly so far no-one has tried. Furthermore due to design no-one would want to. And this is further doomed by the fact no-one will have the variables available to them to give it a try on your behalf. Therefore last conclusion which at least 3 extremely helpful members on here is to try it yourself.
That's it really....

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
all along i was talking about wheels. i am asking for facts and not quotes from a comic book.
I thought you were talking about tyre sizes as your post mentioned tyre size not wheel size. So do you want to replace your rear wheels with an 8.5" wheel instead of the 9" wheel and use 245/40 tyres all round?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You could fit a 245 tyre on the 9.0" rim but it will be vulnerable to kerbing. And you would need to notify insurance.

OP
Aidan Carey

Aidan Carey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You want facts? All the 18 inch and bigger wheels that the W212 comes out of the factory on are staggered (wider rears with different offsets). 17 inches and smaller are same all around size. If you don't like it tough. I just have a feeling you don't want to shell out for the bigger tyres.

If you don't believe me about the wheels do some research for yourself and see what you find. Some models did come with all around 18"s in the past like my 2007 CLS, but that is no more.

Don't like it still? Sell the car and buy another one with same size front and back.
you should read my questions better and then you could answer accordingly.
i do have the large wheels and tyres ( 265x18) on the rear.
i would like to put smaller width on the rear for winter driving.
you probably have lots of feelings but i can't help that.

OP
Aidan Carey

Aidan Carey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I thought you were talking about tyre sizes as your post mentioned tyre size not wheel size. So do you want to replace your rear wheels with an 8.5" wheel instead of the 9" wheel and use 245/40 tyres all round?
yes you got it.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom