wheels

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
My honest advice is this. If it is only for winter driving find a set of 17s. That way there is no need to swap tyres every time. 17s will give a comfier and more compliant ride due to the higher sidewall and a set of tyres will be cheaper as well. Although beats me as why biggers tyres are more exoensive when there is less rubber.
17s may not fit over his calipers.

OP
Aidan Carey

Aidan Carey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d avantgarde. 2010 w212
My honest advice is this. If it is only for winter driving find a set of 17s. That way there is no need to swap tyres every time. 17s will give a comfier and more compliant ride due to the higher sidewall and a set of tyres will be cheaper as well. Although beats me as why biggers tyres are more exoensive when there is less rubber.
yes that would be the best option.
cheers.

OP
Aidan Carey

Aidan Carey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
yeah i think that makes more sense.
cheers.

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo
17s may not fit over his calipers.

Can always find a 17 inch wheel and try it out.
That said looking at the pic on the profile that very much looks like an avantgarde. That should have the smaller brakes if I'm not mistaken?

Other avantgards on auto trader seem to be coming up woth 17 inch wheels and the reg once ran through car check comes up with avantgarde too.

Last edited:
OP
Aidan Carey

Aidan Carey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Can always find a 17 inch wheel and try it out.
That said looking at the pic on the profile that very much looks like an avantgarde. That should have the smaller brakes if I'm not mistaken?

Other avantgards on auto trader seem to be coming up woth 17 inch wheels and the reg once ran through car check comes up with avantgarde too.
yes you're right, it is the avantgarde.i'm not sure about the brakes. some have 18" and some 17", not sure why that is but 18s look much better

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Because the smaller rim diameter offers significantly improved NVH performance. Drop down to 15" and pothole crashing noise as perceived in the cabin is 25% of that at 18".

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
It may depend on year and precise variant. There are definitely some variants cannot take 17s.

A 212 AG spec car will take a 17" wheel no problem, going for winter wheels and tyres this would be the best option using an 8 / 8.5x17" ET40-48 wheel fitted with 245/45 R17 tyres all round

If the OP wanted to use the 18" wheels then the best option would be to buy another pair of front wheels and use the 245/40 R18" tyre all round, this is an 8.5x18" ET48 - part No is A21240113029765

OP
Aidan Carey

Aidan Carey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A 212 AG spec car will take a 17" wheel no problem, going for winter wheels and tyres this would be the best option using an 8 / 8.5x17" ET40-48 wheel fitted with 245/45 R17 tyres all round

If the OP wanted to use the 18" wheels then the best option would be to buy another pair of front wheels and use the 245/40 R18" tyre all round, this is an 8.5x18" ET48 - part No is A21240113029765
that sounds like what i want.
thanks.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
yes you're right, it is the avantgarde.i'm not sure about the brakes. some have 18" and some 17", not sure why that is but 18s look much better

If you care what it looks like, why drop from 265 to 245?

Seriously never heard of such a waste of time and money!
1. The wet weather benefit of winter tyres, verses tuned by MB tyre sizes will be negligible.
2. We are talking a 220? whats that a 2.2L Or nowadays 2.0L .... or have you dropped in the C63 engine!, really you dont have enough grunt to see the difference.
3. Never had to use Winter tyres, except when I lived in Germany, and we needed snow chains to get up the hill or tiger teeth snow tyres.
4. The only MB I had where I felt it needed winter tyres was a 2004 SL55, one could easily get unprovoked wheel spin in the wet. But that had some serious brute power.
5. Plus the risk of a non approved combination. I remember back in the day when you had to lower Mercs with Bilstien springs and shocks and put on oversized Duchatelet or BBS wheels to get them to perform. Lots of horror stories where under cetain conditions, very carefully checked combos hit something!
I saw one SEC 560 with beautifully flared arches, courtesy of a mad driver and a hump back bridge. And yes it was checked with the springs and dampers out!
6. If you have a serious accident and they find out you are running a non manufacturer approved combo ... a lot of companies will aba don you. So get it in writing!

Fascinated to hear what you would hope to achieve! And why?
Note ... Not what you want to do, but what you hope to actually achieve.

E.g. My friend lives in a village, and some idiot at the council, has put in serious cast iron bollards, to restrict vehicle size. There was 22mm left after subtracting my rear wheel span on the SL500 with 285 tyres. When we visit we park 400 meters up the road.
Now he would have a case to reduce his wheel span, so he didn't lose chuncks out of his wheels every time he went home.

Personally if I lived there I would find one of those Gypsies with a JCB and pay him to yank them out and fill the holes with concrete and scrap cast iron ( I kid you not! ).
That Would be a better investment.

Save your money and upgrade the engine size.

As you are so blunt, I am sure you can take it.

Last edited:
OP
Aidan Carey

Aidan Carey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you care what it looks like, why drop from 265 to 245?

Seriously never heard of such a waste of time and money!
1. The wet weather benefit of winter tyres, verses tuned by MB tyre sizes will be negligible.
2. We are talking a 220? whats that a 2.2L Or nowadays 2.0L .... or have you dropped in the C63 engine!, really you dont have enough grunt to see the difference.
3. Never had to use Winter tyres, except when I lived in Germany, and we needed snow chains to get up the hill or tiger teeth snow tyres.
4. The only MB I had where I felt it needed winter tyres was a 2004 SL55, one could easily get unprovoked wheel spin in the wet. But that had some serious brute power.

Fascinated to hear what you would hope to achieve! And why?
Note ... Not what you want to do, but what you hope to actually achieve.

E.g. My friend lives in a village, and some idiot at the council, has put in serious cast iron bollards, to restrict vehicle size. There was 22mm left after subtracting my rear wheel span on the SL500 with 285 tyres. When we visit we park 400 meters up the road.
Now he would have a case to reduce his wheel span, so he didn't lose chuncks out of his wheels every time he went home.

Personally if I lived there I would find one of those Gypsies with a JCB and pay him to yank them out and fill the holes with concrete and scrap cast iron ( I kid you not! ).
That Would be a better investment.

Save your money and upgrade the engine size.

As you are so blunt, I am sure you can take it.
i'm not so sure that upgrading the engine is going to save me money but interesting comments.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
i'm not so sure that upgrading the engine is going to save me money but interesting comments.

I had one new SL500 come with all the wheels the same.
I took it as it had all the options I wanted, bar the staggerred wheels. I I found so eone who wanted those wheels.
Getting the tyres from my man saved enough that it was cheaper than the MB factory option. So it saved me 2 months waiting ... note arrived July not September :)

I drove it for 2 weeks as their was a delay on these new wheels.
Honestly in real terms I didnt notice any difference in the wet when I went from 255 to 285.
OK it was running in ... but it was a Company car :) so not my personal careful run in job ... as per the factory .. so about the speeds of a 220?

Seriously save your money. And possibly a load of grief.

OP
Aidan Carey

Aidan Carey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had one new SL500 come with all the wheels the same.
I took it as it had all the options I wanted, bar the staggerred wheels. I I found so eone who wanted those wheels.
Getting the tyres from my man saved enough that it was cheaper than the MB factory option. So it saved me 2 months waiting ... note arrived July not September :)

I drove it for 2 weeks as their was a delay on these new wheels.
Honestly in real terms I didnt notice any difference in the wet when I went from 255 to 285.
OK it was running in ... but it was a Company car :) so not my personal careful run in job ... as per the factory .. so about the speeds of a 220?

Seriously save your money. And possibly a load of grief.
what is the speed of a 220 because i really don't know.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
you also are a book reader and with all respects you dont know about practical technicalities.
What did practical technicalities teach you in this instance then?

Top Bottom