Any F1 fans

MalcQV

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLA200
What we need is a change from the Mercedes winning all the time. If it is not a Mercedes its a Ferrari and despite being a Tifosi it all gets rather boring.
The last driver I want to win the championship is Hamilton. Anybody else is welcome, including Bottas. I don't hate Mercedes (it's only a sport after all) but it is not helping F1 having the same driver win.

I hope it continues and perhaps RB and maybe Haas taking some podiums.

As for changing the rules to assist Hamilton winning, I'm sure had the shoe been on the other foot it would have been just fine.

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
That would remove tactics from the equation. It is the only recourse when faced with superior cars - how else can they get close or pass? Would make a boring event even worse.

eman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
21 EQC 400 Premium Plus
So were at the same old again if you make a good start and don’t crash out or have a bad pit stop you win the race. All the top cars can’t overtake because of tubulance and heat. Idont think they will change the vsc pit stop as it gives the slower teams to gain a little back. Also watched the world Superbikes yesterday. More excitement in 1 lap than the whole of the F1 race.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
What we need is a change from the Mercedes winning all the time. If it is not a Mercedes its a Ferrari and despite being a Tifosi it all gets rather boring.
The last driver I want to win the championship is Hamilton. Anybody else is welcome, including Bottas. I don't hate Mercedes (it's only a sport after all) but it is not helping F1 having the same driver win.

I hope it continues and perhaps RB and maybe Haas taking some podiums.

As for changing the rules to assist Hamilton winning, I'm sure had the shoe been on the other foot it would have been just fine.

*Steps on soapbox*

I want Hamilton to win because he's British, as am I. I honestly have nothing against any driver. Some I don't like what I see of them but I don't base my judgement of them on what we see on TV (less live interviews etc) as we see what their PR people and the media want us to see. I don't like Ferrari as a company as they are too needy and want everything their way. I really hope Liberty Media call their bluff. Despite what they say publicly Ferrari will not leave F1. It would be corporate suicide as no one in their right mind would follow Ferrari into a breakaway sport that Ferrari design!

I never said change the rules in favour of Hamilton winning. I said change the rules so that any driver doesn't lose a race by being overtaken in the pit lane under a VSC. A race should be won on the track. Pitstops should only affect a race when everyone is racing. So if they get a slow stop, that's racing and fair. But when a driver can gain 10-15 secs during a VSC then that's not good for the sport.

To be honest I don't get all this 'lets see lots of drivers winning'. It's a sport so only the best should win. That is the best driver should win, if that means different drivers because they were the best on that day so be it. But the most consistent & best over the season would still be the winner overall. Only way to do that is to make the cars equal. But then, under the current technical regs, that means that you get a situation where they couldn't overtake much and it would be the last of the late brakers that would only be able to capitalise, if at all.

I don't agree it harms the sport seeing the same team/driver win. It never caused any harm when Ferrari and Schumacher won all the time. The sport is still here and thriving. What harms the sport is the ridiculous costs to go and watch, the daft contracts that Bernie Eccleston got them all to sign up to for his own greed and some of the track designs. Along with one tyre supplier and no refuelling.

For me they need an overhaul of the technical regulations to force the teams to design in more mechanical grip. This then would allow the cars to follow closer so that they can make the racing more exciting and allow more overtaking. Too much reliance on Aerodynamic grip is what hurts the racing. Great when the car is in clean air and it's breathtaking to watch them fly through corners at physics defying speed. Hamilton's pole lap on Sat was something to behold. But it then dampens the enthusiasm when after a couple of laps of close following and the driver has not had the chance to overtake he has to back off/drive off line to cool the car as the turbulent air from the car in front affects it too much.

So bring in a couple more tyre suppliers, Michelin and Bridgestone maybe, heck you could even have some Ling Long ditch finders for comedy value! Bring back refuelling and design more mechanical grip.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
design more mechanical grip.

I think that will come in 2021 with the new regs and Ross Brawns input. They should have used the F2 idea using ventury tunnels under the cars to produce downforce rather than these ridiculous side pod designs

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
*Steps on soapbox*

I want Hamilton to win because he's British, as am I. I honestly have nothing against any driver. Some I don't like what I see of them but I don't base my judgement of them on what we see on TV (less live interviews etc) as we see what their PR people and the media want us to see. I don't like Ferrari as a company as they are too needy and want everything their way. I really hope Liberty Media call their bluff. Despite what they say publicly Ferrari will not leave F1. It would be corporate suicide as no one in their right mind would follow Ferrari into a breakaway sport that Ferrari design!

I never said change the rules in favour of Hamilton winning. I said change the rules so that any driver doesn't lose a race by being overtaken in the pit lane under a VSC. A race should be won on the track. Pitstops should only affect a race when everyone is racing. So if they get a slow stop, that's racing and fair. But when a driver can gain 10-15 secs during a VSC then that's not good for the sport.

To be honest I don't get all this 'lets see lots of drivers winning'. It's a sport so only the best should win. That is the best driver should win, if that means different drivers because they were the best on that day so be it. But the most consistent & best over the season would still be the winner overall. Only way to do that is to make the cars equal. But then, under the current technical regs, that means that you get a situation where they couldn't overtake much and it would be the last of the late brakers that would only be able to capitalise, if at all.

I don't agree it harms the sport seeing the same team/driver win. It never caused any harm when Ferrari and Schumacher won all the time. The sport is still here and thriving. What harms the sport is the ridiculous costs to go and watch, the daft contracts that Bernie Eccleston got them all to sign up to for his own greed and some of the track designs. Along with one tyre supplier and no refuelling.

For me they need an overhaul of the technical regulations to force the teams to design in more mechanical grip. This then would allow the cars to follow closer so that they can make the racing more exciting and allow more overtaking. Too much reliance on Aerodynamic grip is what hurts the racing. Great when the car is in clean air and it's breathtaking to watch them fly through corners at physics defying speed. Hamilton's pole lap on Sat was something to behold. But it then dampens the enthusiasm when after a couple of laps of close following and the driver has not had the chance to overtake he has to back off/drive off line to cool the car as the turbulent air from the car in front affects it too much.

So bring in a couple more tyre suppliers, Michelin and Bridgestone maybe, heck you could even have some Ling Long ditch finders for comedy value! Bring back refuelling and design more mechanical grip.
Hallelujah! Load of good sense from the soapbox there sir!
:D

tc smith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
slk350 (R171)
Most of the enjoyment (IMHO) is from the contest, of course it's enhanced if the team/driver you support does well, but without competition it becomes a test of precision and reliability. Sadly the season opener was a taste of 2017, with the only reason Hamilton lost was the luck of the virtual s/car, otherwise he'd have had a great "race" leaving the line in 1st, driving the circuit unimpeded and uncontested, then crossing the finish line after 90 minutes. Just 2 weeks until the BTCC opening races at Brands Hatch, can't wait to enjoy overtaking during each race :)

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Always watch the F1, but I have to say I'm liking Rally X more and more!
After following F1 all of my life I am afraid I completely lost interest a few years back when they started bu******ng around with the qualifying. To me often the qualifying was the best part of the weekend. Race day is just a formation parade around the circuit.

I have to say that although I am interested enough to want to know who is on the top step of the podium I havn't really missed watching it at all, it's made my weekends longer if anything !! :)

Bajie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 AMG Edition 507 (C207)
Great soapbox comments :)
I would really like another tyre manufacturer to come into F1.
Do any of us use the ‘preferred’ supplier for our daily [or track/weekend fun] cars?
I don’t think we will see refuelling come back. Deemed Too dangerous after fires during pit stops.
I am used to knew qualifying so does not irritate me now
Am I right in thinking they changed the rules regarding downforce and tech advances as the cars were becoming too fast for driver reaction. My mind is telling me this is so but can’t think of where I heard it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MalcQV

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLA200
*Steps on soapbox*

Despite what they say publicly Ferrari will not leave F1. It would be corporate suicide as no one in their right mind would follow Ferrari into a breakaway sport that Ferrari design!

If what I've read recently Mercedes are also siding with Ferrari. We might have a Merc/Fer breakout series. I disagree with your remark regarding Ferrari leaving F1. As I've said before Sergio is nothing like Enzo or Luca. If he feels Ferrari are not getting anything from F1 post 2021 ( I think that's the year) he will take Ferrari away from F1. You bookmark this post just in case LOL

Maybe you're right regarding best team winning and as I have only been watching F1 since 2005 I'm hardly a seasoned watcher.
I've lost most of that interest I had in the sport. When I started watching it in 2005 it was Renault, Ferrari and McLaren but it was interesting and I think Renault took it twice with Alonso. Despite being a Tifosi I would have got bored in the Schoemaker era.

I also got utterly bored with Vettel winning a few years back and am the same with Hamilton. I couldn't care less where they're from.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
That was a broken leg!!

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
That was a broken leg!!

Yup. Having watched a couple of angles that’s his Tib & Fib snapped and probably his ankle too. Hopefully it’s a clean and not a complex break and will heal quickly.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Yup. Having watched a couple of angles that’s his Tib & Fib snapped and probably his ankle too. Hopefully it’s a clean and not a complex break and will heal quickly.

Looks like there was some twist / side impact in the leg too due to angle... He has my sympathy!!!

Jasandjules

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300 Estate (s205)
Ouch, that's broken Tib and Fib, just hope no hip damage when he hit the ground too. Fingers crossed for a swift recovery.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Update to this.

Francesco Cigorini suffered a broken Tibia and Fibula in the incident. How his ankle stayed intact is beyond me and I can only guess that his Tib & Fib giving way stopped any further damage to the ankle. Ferrari have also been fined €50k for the unsafe release.

eman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
21 EQC 400 Premium Plus
And it was a decent race with 42 over takes. That Ferrari will take some beating to the title this season. And well done Toro Rosso with a Honda engine. I bet Mclaren are smarting.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom