Brexit

Status
Not open for further replies.

PovertySpec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi 07/57
as some on here appear to

Missed the bit where that happened, if it did.

so many people on your side of the sea know so little about this side of the sea.

(Norn) Irony meter off the scale but ... that's the whole point of the Brexit referendum and it's called the Irish sea for the same reason that the English Channel is called what it is. Jus' sayin' ;)

Last edited:

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
It's also worth noting that even with the concessions which CMD negotiated, there was a BBC report of other European media, and they expressed the view that if the UK can have some exemptions, then why can't they?

Which is a valid point. So regadless of the outcome of the referendum, is this the beginning of discontent within the member states? The UK can't be the only state with grumblings within.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
It's also worth noting that even with the concessions which CMD negotiated, there was a BBC report of other European media, and they expressed the view that if the UK can have some exemptions, then why can't they?

Which is a valid point. So regadless of the outcome of the referendum, is this the beginning of discontent within the member states? The UK can't be the only state with grumblings within.

So it's not just the nasty party with inner turmoils. Where's the self destruct button? :p

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Missed the bit where that happened, if it did.

(Norn) Irony meter off the scale but ... that's the whole point of the Brexit referendum and it's called the Irish sea for the same reason that the English Channel is called what it is. Jus' sayin' ;)

I know you're making a point...not sure what it is though.;)

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Don't upset the Irish, you know what happens if you do that. I'm ½ Irish, so I can say that.

It is generally the half, quarter, etc Irish that seemingly get offended, have you ever noticed how many second / third generation immigrants, especially on TV programmes, that are against more immigration.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
It is generally the half, quarter, etc Irish that seemingly get offended, have you ever noticed how many second / third generation immigrants, especially on TV programmes, that are against more immigration.

Well, we're all different I guess. It's not easy working out one's identity, so generally I do not give it much thought. I have a British passport, so I guess that makes me English, British, European, and just a tiny bit Irish, i give up. Doesn't really matter, does it ? My Dad did very well when he came here in the 1950s, spent his whole life working for the MOD, he's in his 80s now, and I have no idea what he identifies as. I know he supports Irish Rugby, and likes a gamble on the horses.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Its that old chestnut "we were all migrants" which is so regularly trotted out.
Why I have no idea it doesn't help ?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Pete, England Scotland and Wales make up Great Britain...Northern Ireland is not included, except in the UK.

Irish people are Irish if they live in ROI which is in no way part of the UK ...try telling many people in Northern Ireland that they are Irish and you'll get a swift lesson in the politics and make up of this place.

Just saying...so many people on your side of the sea know so little about this side of the sea.

Mexicans are North American,just as Canadian people and US people are North American.

ok so my geography is a little rusty but you get my point. canadians hate being called americans. i know that as we have family there.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Well, we're all different I guess. It's not easy working out one's identity, so generally I do not give it much thought. I have a British passport, so I guess that makes me English, British, European, and just a tiny bit Irish, i give up. Doesn't really matter, does it ? My Dad did very well when he came here in the 1950s, spent his whole life working for the MOD, he's in his 80s now, and I have no idea what he identifies as. I know he supports Irish Rugby, and likes a gamble on the horses.

Which means when we Brexit and Boris is PM you will be able to get an Irish passport and still be european...best of both worlds:D

Albitz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w201 190D 2.5
Out without a doubt. I believe we are seeing the beginning of the end of the EU. The Greek situation and now the "refugee" crisis has demonstrated that the EU is not and never will be a unified entity no matter how hard the federalists try to make it that.
The Eu economy as a whole is in dire trouble with no sign of it ever recovering.
It is an old fashioned Soviet style monolith which will slowly die as it has no place in the 21st century.
If we remain chained to this sinking ship, it will take us down with it.
Leaving is not becoming isolated. Quite the opposite. The big wide world beckons and we can join it and prosper and flourish.
Iceland - population of Coventry, with an economy to match, has done a decent trade deal with China. We can do at least as well as they did.
These are only the economic matters however. The real issue is the fact that our politicians have given away our national sovereignty, democracy and self governance.
These things were hard fought for and won by the sacrifice of many lives. They didn't belong to politicians. They had no right to give them away without our consent.
I didn't agree with Tony Benn on many things, but he was a democrat who (in his own way) loved his country.
The following is a quote from him.
"As I have gone through life, I have developed 5 little democratic tests. If one meets a powerful person, Hitler, Stalin, Bill Gates, one should ask them 5 questions.
What power do you have? How did you get it ? To whose benefit do you exercise it ? To whom are you accountable ? How do we get rid of you ?
If you cannot get rid of those who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system. "
Millions of lives were lost last time democracy failed on a large scale in Europe.
Repetition of that has been prevented by NATO since then. Nothing to do with the EU.
In fact, the EU promoted and supported the overthrow of Ukraine,s elected govt. recently, in order to pull it from the Russian sphere of influence into the EU sphere of influence. This could have caused world war three.
We have a one time chance to answer Benns 5th question, before our self governace is lost for good.
Even if it does cause problems in the short term, we owe it to future generations to make a stand, now we have the opportunity.
Im sure they will thank us for it long after we are gone.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Which means when we Brexit and Boris is PM you will be able to get an Irish passport and still be european...best of both worlds:D

True, dual nationality, I hadn't thought of that, the Irish economy is picking up too ....

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
This mornings doom mongering:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35677385

If these feckwits at the G20 are so capable, why are we in the 8th consecutive year of non growth??

As the above post on Tony Benn's tests, the 5th is what these idiots fear most. They rely on voter apathy and fear to get their way.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
This mornings doom mongering:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35677385

If these feckwits at the G20 are so capable, why are we in the 8th consecutive year of non growth??

As the above post on Tony Benn's tests, the 5th is what these idiots fear most. They rely on voter apathy and fear to get their way.

I see it as an attempt to make us feel guilty for wanting to improve our lot and leave.
My view is that folloing a vote for independance all will be done to maintain the status quo as far as they are able. That is business will cary on in much the same way.
The only real diffence being that we eventually develop the freedom to make our own choices.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
I think we've mucked it up for this years Eurovision. :rolleyes:

lordksmith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK220 CDI Sport AMG Pack
Well the first time around I voted no and have never spoken to anyone who voted yes? be interesting to here from other members who are of an age to remember what there view was then and now.
As a frequent visitor to France most of my french friends didn't want the common market as was and definitely not the euro, the cost of living has shot up.
As for now we are still a net contributor "more in than out", so unless we get a great deal more back and value for our pound then as before out.

Arzaam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2002 c180
for the sake of my studies i would prefer if you left the EU , thats one less module to worry about lol

though this thread has helped me gather some usefull points and awareness of situation in case a question on recent developments does come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom