Brexit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The money paid out for salaries is partly ours, we own nearly a quarter via the UKFI

PovertySpec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi 07/57
no sir , i was born in England not wales , ireland or scotland

Proud to be Welsh? Fine! Proud Scot? OK! Proud to be Irish? Great!

Express any 'pride' to be English?

Probably racist, definitely nationalist, ought to be ashamed :rolleyes:

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
The English are not a race, more a collection of immigrants who've arrived over the last 10 thousand years or so. Celts, Saxons, Jutes, Danes, Norsemen, Angles* (from Holland), Norman French, Irish, the list goes on and on. There's even a smattering of Italians if you include the Romans. Plus of course all those who've arrived in more recent times from around the globe. We are a cosmopolitan nation and proud of it.

Last edited:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
The English are not a race, more a collection of immigrants who've arrived over the last 10 thousand years or so. Celts, Saxons, Jutes, Danes, Norsemen, Angles* (from Holland), Norman French, Irish, the list goes on and on. There's even a smattering of Italians if you include the Romans. Plus of course all those who've arrived in more recent times from around the globe. We are a cosmopolitan nation and proud of it.

i think the point being made is that there is no such country as Britain. Wales is a country, Scotland is a country, Ireland is a country therefore England is a country. Britain is just the collective name for them.

and it bugs the hell out of me too when people from Ireland can be Irish, people from Scotland can be Scottish, people from Wales can be welsh but people from England cant be english, they have to be british.

so by that same theory, would that make someone from Mexico American? its PART of south America so it must make them American if people from England are British!

OP
prwales

prwales

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ge300, w124 300e, various VW's
  • Banned
i think the point being made is that there is no such country as Britain. Wales is a country, Scotland is a country, Ireland is a country therefore England is a country. Britain is just the collective name for them.

and it bugs the hell out of me too when people from Ireland can be Irish, people from Scotland can be Scottish, people from Wales can be welsh but people from England cant be english, they have to be british.

so by that same theory, would that make someone from Mexico American? its PART of south America so it must make them American if people from England are British!

the Romans named our biggest island Britain and its inhabitants Britons, the concept of England is relatively recent, as is that of Wales, people in Wales called themselves the Cymry, mean us ourselves. Cymraeg speaking people lived throughout the Island of Britain, fairly independently in what is now Wales, for a while in Strathclyde but also throughout what was to become England almost everywhere in places where there is a Wal prefix to a place name.
I take the view that our English language now ubiquitous throughout the world is not down to invasion by Germanic savages but down to the Roman legions and the areas they settled and developed into colonies. By far the bulk of Romes troops stationed came from the low countries, this is a matter of historical record, after 25 years service they were given a plot of land near to their legionary headquarters. In the course of their service they will most likely have had relationships and children with local women, and as they were the only ones with cash money trade developed around servicing their needs. English is the language of trade, this is my friends how English started. Not a race in any sense of the term just a language

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
As has been pointed out

Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland AND England are all classified as a Country.

Ergo English is a collective term for those who's origin of birth is England.

Regardless of history and if you go back far enough most countries could probably trace back 'immigrants' settling there.

Easy way to define it is they all have a capital city.

Herr Rosa Teddy Baer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
None at present
the Romans named our biggest island Britain and its inhabitants Britons, the concept of England is relatively recent, as is that of Wales, people in Wales called themselves the Cymry, mean us ourselves. Cymraeg speaking people lived throughout the Island of Britain, fairly independently in what is now Wales, for a while in Strathclyde but also throughout what was to become England almost everywhere in places where there is a Wal prefix to a place name.
I take the view that our English language now ubiquitous throughout the world is not down to invasion by Germanic savages but down to the Roman legions and the areas they settled and developed into colonies. By far the bulk of Romes troops stationed came from the low countries, this is a matter of historical record, after 25 years service they were given a plot of land near to their legionary headquarters. In the course of their service they will most likely have had relationships and children with local women, and as they were the only ones with cash money trade developed around servicing their needs. English is the language of trade, this is my friends how English started. Not a race in any sense of the term just a language

Does the term Englander, therefore meet with your approval?

John

PovertySpec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi 07/57
Last edited:
OP
prwales

prwales

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ge300, w124 300e, various VW's
  • Banned
English nationhood is more than a bit phoney, a French Aristocracy, a German Monarchy, and a Dutch language who's words are mainly French.
The term Anglo Saxon was invented in the 19th Century and embellished by Winston S Churchill in his magnificent but fraudulent History of the English speaking peoples :-D

PovertySpec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi 07/57
EnglishnationhoodidmorethanabitphoneyaFrenchAristocracyaGermanMonarchyandaDutchlanguagewho'swordsaremainlyFrenchThetermAngloSaxonwasinventedinthe19thCenturyandembellishedbyWinstonSChurchillinhismagnificentbutfraudulentHistoryoftheEnglishspeakingpeoplellantysiliogogogochynygofod

OK, I'm persuaded :D

Last edited:

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
By your own definition you're a racist :rolleyes:

No, I just don't think that being "English" is the most important thing in the world, as some on here appear to. For goodness sake stop worrying about the "foreigners". Our ancestors were all foreigners, once. That's my point.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.

Pete, England Scotland and Wales make up Great Britain...Northern Ireland is not included, except in the UK.

Irish people are Irish if they live in ROI which is in no way part of the UK ...try telling many people in Northern Ireland that they are Irish and you'll get a swift lesson in the politics and make up of this place.

Just saying...so many people on your side of the sea know so little about this side of the sea.

Mexicans are North American,just as Canadian people and US people are North American.

Last edited:

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Camerons old boss the Prince of Darkness himself Michael Howard has joined the exit camp ;

"Howard says David Cameron’s renegotiation ‘met with failure’ and voting to leave is only way to ‘shake leaders out of complacency’"

There would be a significant chance that they would ask us to think again. When Ireland and Denmark voted to reject EU proposals, the EU offered them more concessions and, second time round, got the result they wanted,”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/feb/26/former-tory-leader-michael-howard-call-uk-leave-eu

Hmmm .................

Status
Not open for further replies.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom