Clean and polish

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Any advice on cleaning and polishing, also is it worth t-cutting? Also are polishing electric tools useful?

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Ooooh the slippery world of "detailing", for me yes worth investing in a DA polisher. As for the cleaning regime then the below is a very quick clen that normally takes me a day,
Snow foam
Rinse
Wash with 2 bucket method
Rinse
Snow foam (don't know why I do the second one but I always have, maybe a little OCD)
Clean wheels with woollies
Dry with micro fibre towels
Clay with meguairs clay Mit
Polish out the swirls I've created with the clay, megs crystal polish (red bottle)
Wax, megs gold class, as many layers as you like, I normally do 2-3
Finish off with Sonax BSD

Once you've one all that you'll be more than ready for a beer or 6

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ooooh the slippery world of "detailing", for me yes worth investing in a DA polisher. As for the cleaning regime then the below is a very quick clen that normally takes me a day,
Snow foam
Rinse
Wash with 2 bucket method
Rinse
Snow foam (don't know why I do the second one but I always have, maybe a little OCD)
Clean wheels with woollies
Dry with micro fibre towels
Clay with meguairs clay Mit
Polish out the swirls I've created with the clay, megs crystal polish (red bottle)
Wax, megs gold class, as many layers as you like, I normally do 2-3
Finish off with Sonax BSD

Once you've one all that you'll be more than ready for a beer or 6
:) thank you.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
@C350Carl did a good write up on the forum a couple of years ago on how to do a basic detail of a car, have a quick search and you should be able to find it, pretty sure it was made a Sticky thread

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Do yourself a favour and check out Polished Bliss website, everything you need there including details how to use etc
- actually I might not be doing you a favour ! ;)
Slippery slope indeed.....

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Do yourself a favour and check out Polished Bliss website, everything you need there including details how to use etc
- actually I might not be doing you a favour ! ;)
Slippery slope indeed.....
Thanks John, I will have a read up, they have so many products. I really never knew the detailing world was so detailed!

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Thanks John, I will have a read up, they have so many products. I really never knew the detailing world was so detailed!

Why not wander across to the Detailing World website?

Some proper serious people over there, and a lot of good advice, though also a lot of obsessives...

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Why not wander across to the Detailing World website?

Some proper serious people over there, and a lot of good advice, though also a lot of obsessives...
Will do, all I'm really after is a clean, polish and wax so the car look nice. I'm not going to be obsessed, not yet anyway.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
T-Cut...no, NEVER, unless you are trying to remove a small blemish. Think about it...it cuts, it removes etc...don't go near it.

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T-Cut...no, NEVER, unless you are trying to remove a small blemish. Think about it...it cuts, it removes etc...don't go near it.
Fair enough, I've just got a few tiny swirls, and a few marks where something had rubbed the surface. I popped into halfords to pick up something else and the guy there recommended "Meguair`s G17216EU Ultimate Compound" but that is definitely a cut.
I'm reading up on the other sites anyway for more informative suggestions :)

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Fair enough, I've just got a few tiny swirls, and a few marks where something had rubbed the surface.

Meguires Swirl X

Use Auto Glym Ultra Deep Gloss as a polish, it is SRP but for dark colours, it has fillers in so will mask many smaller marks

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
you will need to make sure the bodywork is clean before though, it may be an idea to have it valeted by a professional first then just maintain it

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for all the advice on this. I had some advice from Polished Bliss Ltd and they were very helpful on this, sent me a detailed things to do and how to do it, with a list of their products that would suit my car best. In the end the list came to about £350 and there were a lot of products, just couldn't push to that right now. In the end I've purchased a few things myself and will spend this weekend having a go.

Also I will be doing the work by hand, didn't really want to buy a cheap polisher. Hopefully my arm will not drop off!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom