General Election...June 8

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
...while she decides "it's fair" to cut (means test) my £300 heat allowance (that I paid in to the system for 60 years to get)

Dave, you haven't had your heating allowance cut yet, and depending on your income and savings, it probably won't be cut.

Do you really think pensioners with a huge pension pot and savings should either get, or need a £300 handout every year? Far better to direct that extra to something more worthwhile don't you think?
And I heard the proposal wasn't drastic, just a cut back to £200. Better than a kick in the nuts all things considering?
- And to think... I used to vote conservative!
- It was always the best of a lousy choice... But no more! Never.

So you have a great selection of other choices than Conservative Dave....lets see.

Comrade Jeremy Corbyn and his gang of terrorist sympathisers who will tax the life out of the better off, unable to realise he can't raise enough just taxing the rich, whilst borrowing untold amounts to put us further and further in debt.

Possible cabinet jobs to the likes of fellow terrorist sympathiser McDonnell and inept Abbott who, like McDonnell, appears to be unable to count. Corbyn has taken to offering free university places just to buy the young voter. The points raised in his manifesto do not compute when it comes to how to pay for it. They will be in the wilderness for years to come.

Then you have UKIP who are sinking faster than a holed ship since Farage packed his bags. Never a more wasted vote, and trying to lay some of the blame on Mrs May for the Manchester attack is depicable. He talks a good talk but cannot back anything up.

Finally, the Lib Dems who probably appeal to you as a Remainer. They want another referendum despite the majority of voters last June telling the government we want out. Democracy? not if you want the Lib Dems..so desperate to be heard they will form an alliance with anyone. Losers.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Why do you always assume that pensioners have a "huge pension pot and savings" (you've posted in this vein before)?
- Unless you're describing your situation perhaps?

It so happens I have three private pensions which I could not merge (the results of the takeover/get rich "suits" in the industries where I worked). And with the squeeze at the time of my retirement caused by our friendly "gambling" bankers, only one of my plans has any annual increment - and that's after going through the complaints procedure (but that's another story).

But you haven't paid much attention to Mrs Maybe's intentions about "care" though... (but enough people have - that's how she lost half the Tories lead) - who knows how much more she can lose or will she recover?...

She wants to means test the heating allowance. I sought advice regarding my potential pension income as I got close to retirement and that £300 a year tax-free that SWMBO and I share was always going to be part of my income. Unfortunately as I've said before, instead of hissing my money away as some do, I very responsibly not only worked an extra couple of years, I saved for my retirement so of course I will be above the means test threshold - so that's £5.75 a week that nice Mrs May will be taking away. Later on of course, if one of us goes gaga the government will be able to legally strip away £100K off the value of our house (but of course that's only for starters and if they stay in power with a hug majority they'll soon rape and pillage a bit more...).

SWMBO and I vote by post and have already made our choice - and no it wasn't any of those - and I don't need your advice over which party has the right appeal, thank you. As usual, I had to try and find the least worst choice. In any other year - even through the Maggie years, I believed the Tories provided the best of a lousy choice but I certainly didn't put my X in that boxthis time and the party will need to change dramatically before I ever do again. As it happens, locally we were (more or less all) less than happy with our MP, particularly because of the disgraceful state of the NHS - as I posted recently we've had the first child die because they had our closed our Paediatric A&E ward as well as the prenatal ward. The paramedics managed to get the child to the county hospital in a remarkable 23 minutes (even with a blue light on I would struggle to match that), but the poor little mite died on arrival.

For prenatal, they closed the ward and initially left mothers to be to find their own solution but they were "shamed" into providing a bus service although that is frequently inconvenient for a young mother to get to especially if she already has a child plus push chair etc - and if as she probably is one of Theresa's Just About Managing people, they can't afford for their partner to take time off. So it's great - once they get to the bus departure point there's a lovely bouncy 55 minutes on a minibus for a woman who is six months gone! And on that subject I saw the interview where Theresa May talked to Andrew Neil and "waffled" and denied her u-turn on dementia tax (that she denies it's a u-turn saying "nothing has changed!" but I think she omitted the words "let me make it perfectly clear...") and then she conjured up this figure of an "extra" £10 Bn for the NHS - but on closer questioning as she stammered away ducking and diving about where it would come from she eventually said "a variety of sources"... so it seems it's a mythological figure. Oh and btw: in this interview she finally admitted that a bad Brexit would have "dire consequences"

Full transcript here: https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/05/andrew-neil-interviews-theresa-may-full-transcript/

There are some public comments at the end of this transcript. I think the most accurate one is:
"As usual the Tories show their consummate skill at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory etc..."

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Why do you always assume that pensioners have a "huge pension pot and savings" (you've posted in this vein before)?
- Unless you're describing your situation perhaps?

You didn't read my post properly at all. Where have I "assumed pensioners have a huge pension pot"?
Read it again. I stated that the wealthy pensioners do not need that £300 pm and it could be better spent elsewhere. What is wrong with that. Does Rupert the MP drawing a handsome sum on his guaranteed pension really need that £300?

I most certainly don't include myself in having a large income from my pensions.

She wants to means test the heating allowance. I sought advice regarding my potential pension income as I got close to retirement and that £300 a year tax-free that SWMBO and I share was always going to be part of my income. Unfortunately as I've said before, instead of hissing my money away as some do, I very responsibly not only worked an extra couple of years, I saved for my retirement so of course I will be above the means test threshold..........

How do you know you are above the means test threshold when a figure hasn't even been announced yet? Or are you privy to information nobody else has?
Sorry but you come over as a very bitter man who does nothing but moan at his lot.
So you worked an extra couple of years to get a bigger pension. Well done. I had to finish at 65 as it was physically killing me.
I guarantee I have less per month coming in than you, but I'm all in favour of stopping the wealthy and those that can afford to pay for their heating to forego that £300 a year. It is going to go towards social care anyway which is something else you are bitching about.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
To be honest although I've voted Tory most of my life I am seriously pondering it now. In the first place I don't understand what they are doing to schools or the NHS. I could stand a penny on income tax if it guaranteed funding for these.

Our local Labour candidate is a much nicer person than the sitting Tory MP who is frankly a smug twat.

If it weren't for Corbyn I'd be tempted, he's just so very left and I'm not.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
NOTA one worth voting for is a problem, (None of the Above)

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
It's confusing sometimes - I work on the bases that the grass is always greener etc & it's very much easier to criticise than to deliver

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I see that the IFS have said neither Tory nor Labour party are truthful regarding their tax/spend numbers.
- Not an enlightening comment but nevertheless it might give some people food for thought.
- And we still fall back on whichever we think will do the best for the country/themselves?

According to the latest surveys (yes I know, we know all about surveys....) the Tory lead has been cut to 5 points.
- Interesting - if Bliar was just emerging now, he would win a surprise landslide!
- But at any rate it will be an interesting election and we can all start wondering "what if..." ?

Last edited:

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's confusing sometimes - I work on the bases that the grass is always greener etc & it's very much easier to criticise than to deliver

Yes but that's what every politician does - it's their stock in trade. Look at the interview (May with Neil) I posted (link) above.
- When she starts to stammer and gets stuck, she just blames Corbyn!
- Funny, up until then he was doing her the power of good just by being there!

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Definitely all to play for Theresa strolling in seemed inevitable only weeks ago I think she will still do it but ...........

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Well they don't make it easy to vote....

I've had to apply for a postal vote (done just over a week ago). The form will be sent out to my home address on Tuesday - by which time I will be in France. Can I cancel the postal vote and use a proxy? No.
Can I collect the form from the local Electoral office? No.
Can I get it delivered more quickly? No.
Can I have it scanned and emailed and returned the same way? No.
Can they do anything to make it get to me on time? No, not unless they send it to an overseas address. Which is no good if you're on a boat.

Finally have a solution using Poste Restante in France but even that requires my form to go to the local office first and be sent out from there.

Interestingly the reason its taken this long to get everything out is because of Theresa's sudden announcement meaning nothing was geared up for handling the increased workload (according to my local office which is a Tory run council).

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I'm sure Tim will appreciate the effort you have gone to :)

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well they don't make it easy to vote....

I've had to apply for a postal vote (done just over a week ago). The form will be sent out to my home address on Tuesday - by which time I will be in France. Can I cancel the postal vote and use a proxy? No.
Can I collect the form from the local Electoral office? No.
Can I get it delivered more quickly? No.
Can I have it scanned and emailed and returned the same way? No.
Can they do anything to make it get to me on time? No, not unless they send it to an overseas address. Which is no good if you're on a boat.

Finally have a solution using Poste Restante in France but even that requires my form to go to the local office first and be sent out from there.

Interestingly the reason its taken this long to get everything out is because of Theresa's sudden announcement meaning nothing was geared up for handling the increased workload (according to my local office which is a Tory run council).

Thats' very strange - 2 or 3 weeks ago we got the normal election cards then a week/10 days(?) ago the postal packs came.
- We voted over a week ago - all done 'n dusted.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Interesting to read George Osborne's views of the General Election and where the Tory party is for "organisational ability"...

General election 2017: Osborne: Tory plans badly thought through
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40071822

While he (denies but is obviously) enjoying himself... he deals with most of the points that have been in the headlines including knocking down some of the (lack of) planning on immigration and the way that Theresa May has moved away from the international liberalism and globalisation pursued by David Cameron.

Not long to go... I wonder if her avowed intention of having a clear majority for the good of "the Brexit negotiations" will have any meat left on the bone by 8th June?

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thats' very strange - 2 or 3 weeks ago we got the normal election cards then a week/10 days(?) ago the postal packs came.
- We voted over a week ago - all done 'n dusted.
Very strange... haven't your tickets arrived yet?
- Anyway there's still a good few days until 8th so I'm sure you'll have it in time :geek:

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
It will make a big difference to many people who you vote for. Teresa Mayhem's hubby has many big clients including Google and Amazon. His job, to help them avoid paying tax. Do you honestly think that TM will ever send the wolves after these companies.
Taking school dinner from over 1 million poor kids(to save what) many of whom depend on that free meal.
This alone should be enough to drop her ratings in the polls. But there are enough wealthy people who don't care.so why should she.
There has to be something that is not right within a person who could even contemplate doing that.
It may work for many people, but more concern should be given to those that will suffer.
When you look after your weakest and poorest it is then that you and your country prospers.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You've had no luck with this voting lark previously so it probably doesn't matter anyway!
How do you know how I voted previously? You know of one vote that didn't go my way and presume all the others were similar? How arrogant.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Theresa's share of the vote seems to be going further south:

Sun May 28 3:57: May's lead narrows after Manchester attack placing landslide win in doubt
LINK : http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-election-poll-icm-idUKKBN18O06H

This report says that Mrs Maybe's lead over the opposition has narrowed sharply, according to opinion polls published since the Manchester attack, suggesting she might not win the predicted landslide or worse. 4 x polls on Saturday showed her lead had contracted by a range of 2 to 6% points, indicating the June 8 election could be much tighter than initially thought.

Interesting that having repeatedly said there would be no election until 2020, she claimed this snap call would strengthen her position for Brexit negotiations... But if as suggested now (and thinking the "unthinkable") she might even end up with a reduced majority will she she still have enough support to conduct UK's Brexit negotiations or should she resign?

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom