How to fix an MB top Box?

J

johnhorsley5

All,
I have just bought a used MB roof box (see the pictures) I obviously need to fit to my roof bars (not an MB)
The fixings supplied are two sets of one foot long steel straps with threaded studs at each end. What is missing to fit these to roof bars which run across the car?

Attachments

• MB top box.JPG
    MB top box.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 38
  • MB top box_2.JPG
    MB top box_2.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 36
  • MB Top box key.JPG
    MB Top box key.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 49

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I have one of those super heavy boxes which lies abandoned in the garage as it kept leaking.

The steel strips fit inside the box and are secured by plastic star shaped handles with 10 mm nuts inside.
On the outside, the bolts to the nuts have square ends which slot inside the rails on alustyle roof bars.
Without those you could perhaps use some small exhaust clamps or u bolts to come under your rails and into the box.

This sort of thing

Attachments

• TBolt_large.jpg
    TBolt_large.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
OP
J

johnhorsley5

Leaking Roof Box - How to fix?

Hi All,
I have an MB Roof box (268 litre capacity) which lets in water. I believe this may be a common problem. Is there a way to cure it?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
J

johnhorsley5

how to fix the leak

Does anyone have any solutions for curing the leak? I am reluctant to scrap the box as I can use it on the car and still go on Eurotunnel as a low vehicle

amb67

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz C220 Coupe AMG, E320 CDI (S211), Aprilia RSVR
Don't go out in the rain! :)

Sorry I'm not being much help but I think you'll find that most top boxes leak..... just make sure that you put your gear in black bags that are sealed.

OP
J

johnhorsley5

Thanks, but I used to have a cheapo Halfords box that cost me 30 quid and it didn't leak.
I'm looking at making a cover from Ripstop Nylon or similar

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Do you know where the water is getting in?

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Where ever it's raining I suspect.

LOL... Tour dates at the O2 next Naraic! ;)

I ask 'cos I had a top box where the water was getting in via the mounting bolts! The rain was blown along the underside of the box then forced in through the adjusting slots. Gaffer tape on the inside sorted it. :)
A colleague fixed neoprene draft excluder around the lip of the lid to prevent rain getting blown in that way.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom