OM642 Misfire and White Smoke

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Just out of interest who fitted the pump.

OP
H

hamodi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 2007 S320L CDI
That looks quite possibly scrap.

Far from it, mate! I decided to try my luck, I was certain that the rocker arms must have broken when cranking as opposed to driving at speed as symptoms occurred straight after changing pump.

As a last resort before considering a cylinder head replacement, I decided to replace the rocker arms with new ones and got a spare camshaft fitted then put everything back together again. Compression test passed. She starts, idles so smoothly, firing on all 6 with full performance restored. Only thing is she continued to chuck out white smoke from the exhaust so I thought my repair had failed. But then it stopped after 20 minutes - must have been all the unburnt diesel sitting in my exhaust that bank 2 couldn't ignite due to no compression.

I've been driving her for over a week now on my daily 90 mile round commute from London to Surrey and she's happily averaging 43mpg and still accelerates to 60 in around 7s :)

It has been a long one, I've learnt a lot about diesels and in particular this engine and would like to thank you all for helping me get back on the road.

Until next time :confused:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Far from it, mate! I decided to try my luck, I was certain that the rocker arms must have broken when cranking as opposed to driving at speed as symptoms occurred straight after changing pump.

As a last resort before considering a cylinder head replacement, I decided to replace the rocker arms with new ones and got a spare camshaft fitted then put everything back together again. Compression test passed. She starts, idles so smoothly, firing on all 6 with full performance restored. Only thing is she continued to chuck out white smoke from the exhaust so I thought my repair had failed. But then it stopped after 20 minutes - must have been all the unburnt diesel sitting in my exhaust that bank 2 couldn't ignite due to no compression.

I've been driving her for over a week now on my daily 90 mile round commute from London to Surrey and she's happily averaging 43mpg and still accelerates to 60 in around 7s :)

It has been a long one, I've learnt a lot about diesels and in particular this engine and would like to thank you all for helping me get back on the road.

Until next time :confused:
Sounds to me that you were very very lucky!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom