OM642 Misfire and White Smoke

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Just out of interest who fitted the pump.

OP
H

hamodi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 2007 S320L CDI
That looks quite possibly scrap.

Far from it, mate! I decided to try my luck, I was certain that the rocker arms must have broken when cranking as opposed to driving at speed as symptoms occurred straight after changing pump.

As a last resort before considering a cylinder head replacement, I decided to replace the rocker arms with new ones and got a spare camshaft fitted then put everything back together again. Compression test passed. She starts, idles so smoothly, firing on all 6 with full performance restored. Only thing is she continued to chuck out white smoke from the exhaust so I thought my repair had failed. But then it stopped after 20 minutes - must have been all the unburnt diesel sitting in my exhaust that bank 2 couldn't ignite due to no compression.

I've been driving her for over a week now on my daily 90 mile round commute from London to Surrey and she's happily averaging 43mpg and still accelerates to 60 in around 7s :)

It has been a long one, I've learnt a lot about diesels and in particular this engine and would like to thank you all for helping me get back on the road.

Until next time :confused:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Far from it, mate! I decided to try my luck, I was certain that the rocker arms must have broken when cranking as opposed to driving at speed as symptoms occurred straight after changing pump.

As a last resort before considering a cylinder head replacement, I decided to replace the rocker arms with new ones and got a spare camshaft fitted then put everything back together again. Compression test passed. She starts, idles so smoothly, firing on all 6 with full performance restored. Only thing is she continued to chuck out white smoke from the exhaust so I thought my repair had failed. But then it stopped after 20 minutes - must have been all the unburnt diesel sitting in my exhaust that bank 2 couldn't ignite due to no compression.

I've been driving her for over a week now on my daily 90 mile round commute from London to Surrey and she's happily averaging 43mpg and still accelerates to 60 in around 7s :)

It has been a long one, I've learnt a lot about diesels and in particular this engine and would like to thank you all for helping me get back on the road.

Until next time :confused:
Sounds to me that you were very very lucky!

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom