Electric cars

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I like many was sceptical till I took a ride in an Amsterdam Tesla taxi. The smooth effortless progress had me hooked (and he never demonstrated the performance at all).
There is something surreal about making such effortless progress with no vibration or noise. The fact it can out accelerate almost anything on the roads is a bonus.
If the lack of V8 rumble annoyed me enough I'd find a way to synthesise it...

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I like many was sceptical till I took a ride in an Amsterdam Tesla taxi. The smooth effortless progress had me hooked (and he never demonstrated the performance at all).
There is something surreal about making such effortless progress with no vibration or noise. The fact it can out accelerate almost anything on the roads is a bonus.
If the lack of V8 rumble annoyed me enough I'd find a way to synthesise it...
There are ways Alistair ... mine is V6 ish at the moment but I’ve been toying with the thought of a Maxhaust or similar. That said I also enjoy the complete silence sometimes too..
Different world coming, not to say I don’t miss the bi turbo cold start rumble

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
For me that would not be true.. Its a bonus but the actual reason would be having a car with hypercar performance but non of the crazy high costs (insurance, fuel, servicing,reliability) and having a car thats usefull for everyday life. . Believe me when i say there is nothing quite like smoothly blasting to 60 in 2.4 secs in absolute silence and completely drama free..

Grand if fitted with pedals! Or zero charge remaining light comes on.

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
My 335d xdrive is a very quick car by any standard, it returns 45mpg too.
What spoils it entirely (even though it’s an in-line 6 cylinder twin turbo) is a fake sound that’s amplified through the speakers to make it sound like a gruff petrol.

I supposed there will always be those people who like fake tits, and those of us that want the real thing.

I'm out.

Reactions: DSK

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Grand if fitted with pedals! Or zero charge remaining light comes on.
How often do you go for a blast with no fuel in the tank?
And with a diesel if it runs out how easy is it to restart once been empty?
Aside from the relative lack of filling places there's little difference - fuel is fuel and it's driver error to run out.

At least you can't put the wrong kind of electricity in it...

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Aside from the relative lack of filling places there's little difference - fuel is fuel and it's driver error to run out.

Range anxiety with an electric is real having driven one regularly over the last 2 years.
The range starts ok and then with a bit of traffic it can drop much faster than the miles you’re doing. The i3 I was driving would start at 65 and drop to just over 30 within 10 miles.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi

At least I can carry a can full of fuel in the boot to cover my lack of planning.

Maybe someone should invent an emergency capacitor charger.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Unless you’ve had an overnight power cut and the car is flat the next morning .................
When was the last time you had an all night overnight power cut?

You're clutching at straws to justify your own argument now.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250

They just are non starters for me. Price, Range. And residual values at, say 5 yr with a 70%shot battery. A friend of ours has a Renault. It's like sitting In a large plastic kids toy. No thanks

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
With electric you can charge it fully at home before you go anywhere at all.
I certainly wouldn't be able to too where I live LK , the local idiots would rip the charge cable out and skip with it and then of course theres all the folk who live in multi storey buildings . . . . . .

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
When was the last time you had an all night overnight power cut?

You're clutching at straws to justify your own argument now.
Negative.
I’m not clutching at any straws. I don’t need to justify my opinion .
And FYI we have them regular and run on a generator due to where we live.
You bum your electric cars until you’re raw and I’ll stick with a V8 petrol.

I’m definitely out now.
There shall be silence on my part :-I

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Negative.
I’m not clutching at any straws. I don’t need to justify my opinion .
And FYI we have them regular and run on a generator due to where we live.
You bum your electric cars until you’re raw and I’ll stick with a V8 petrol.

I’m definitely out now.
There shall be silence on my part :-I
Nice. Instead of rational discussion you make references to my sexuality.
Nice person.

If you care to look I have 2 V8s and a V6 (all petrol) and my other half has a Cooper S JCW, but I have enough about me to acknowledge their shortcomings and accept new technology is coming if we like it or not.

So rather than be dragged kicking and screaming into the future I'm happy to embrace it and look for ways to mitigate the shortcomings.

The days of having hairy chested V8s bellowing around city streets, being able to modify them how you like and drive flat out everywhere with relative impunity are gone. They started disappearing about 30 years ago. That will only continue and cars as we know them will also disappear. There are already discussions about forcing every car in the road to be level 4 autonomous as that way cars talking to one another and behaving in a predictable way will dramatically improve road safety. It's a natural evolution in a world where the motor vehicle is seen by most as simply a way to get from A to B.
Sad but true.

OP
Severnless

Severnless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI/2007/v6
Nice. Instead of rational discussion you make references to my sexuality.
Nice person.

If you care to look I have 2 V8s and a V6 (all petrol) and my other half has a Cooper S JCW, but I have enough about me to acknowledge their shortcomings and accept new technology is coming if we like it or not.

So rather than be dragged kicking and screaming into the future I'm happy to embrace it and look for ways to mitigate the shortcomings.

The days of having hairy chested V8s bellowing around city streets, being able to modify them how you like and drive flat out everywhere with relative impunity are gone. They started disappearing about 30 years ago. That will only continue and cars as we know them will also disappear. There are already discussions about forcing every car in the road to be level 4 autonomous as that way cars talking to one another and behaving in a predictable way will dramatically improve road safety. It's a natural evolution in a world where the motor vehicle is seen by most as simply a way to get from A to B.
Sad but true.

I would like to add that the only reason we’ve decided to go with leccy now, is due to cost, (we can’t ignore the very hefty discounts) have you seen the fields of new cars on the news? yes we could of brought a top of the range 2nd hand EClass AMG for the money, but it’s not suitable for our needs.
This is the first brand new car that we have ever brought, (we have seen the actual car still in its packaging)
We felt taking the leccy step now makes sense to us, as in 3years things will improve so we would probably buy another.
The technology is moving so fast now, When my father placed the order for his Kia Niro back in may last year, the mg ZS was only available as petrol or diesel.
The leccy version of the mg ZS was launched in October last year, in the mean time other manufacturers are launching leccy models, so there is a demand, that can’t be denied and can only gain momentum especially when the government want us all to conform and hands out grants, it’s very hard to ignore.

As for the range anxiety, well with the quoted 160 miles I’m sure we will experience it at some point, especially when real world will be down to 130miles, but the longest journey we normally do is 120 miles one way, I’m sure there’s enough left. I guess we will find out!

As for power cuts, yes they do happen, but the charge point that we are looking at is a smart unit so only switches on during ‘off peak’. We will be able to control the charging from a smart phone. Also during winter whilst plugged in we can turn the heating on before setting off to work.

Yes it’s all totally soulless, but have you seen the roads in the midlands! Can’t think of anything more soul destroying than sitting on the M6/M5 in traffic in a caterham 7! Or vx220 for that matter! Yes I have done that!

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
Most people only do short journeys so an electric car that can do around 100 miles is adequate.. Once you have one then its so cheap to run and maintain.. I would like one for all the short journeys i do, but cant afford one whilst maintaining my collection of internal combustion engines.. the only one that could work in electric form is my current car.. the others cant do the distance if they were electric (yet)
Appears the million mile battery is just about to turn up along with the cyber truck.. I wonder how quick off the lights that thing will be ?

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom