Front suspension squeaking on 2017 C Class

Casa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class 2017 220d
Hi all just back from a driving holiday to Europe where the front driver's side suspension on my 2017 C class started to squeak progressively more and more as we drove and the weather got hotter - so much so that could hear it on roundabouts, over speed bumps etc. Was concerned may be a safety issue so called RAC who sent us to a local garage (who didn't speak much English!) - they took it for a test drive and raised it off the ground to have a look. Said no safety issue as front suspension all looked fine and that it was the rubbers on the suspension. So relieved not a safety issue but annoying sound and as car just out of warranty due to COVID lockdown (couldn't get it serviced until 3 months after warranty expired and they didnt pick it up then). My question is - is this a common problem on 3-4 year old C classes - has anyone experienced similar and if it is just the rubbers that need replacing is it a simple job - how expensive would it be? Any advice gratefully received

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Wear and tear I would say.
MB would replace an entire arm for the want of a rubber.
Have you an Indy with a puller to replace just the offending rubber.

OP
C

Casa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class 2017 220d
wear and tear for a 3.5 year old car with 23,000 miles - perhaps more time dependent than mileage - to help with getting an indy - what's a puller (forgive my ignorance) and what are the rubber bits called and any idea of rough cost or time to replace both fronts - many thanks

gianton

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C250 CDI 4Matic Avantgarde - 2013
wear and tear for a 3.5 year old car with 23,000 miles - perhaps more time dependent than mileage - to help with getting an indy - what's a puller (forgive my ignorance) and what are the rubber bits called and any idea of rough cost or time to replace both fronts - many thanks
If you post your VIN I can check and give you the part numbers.

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Ball joint on the way out, a syringe with a few cc's of ATF will quieten it but a replacement is not far off. Have a look at this, different car same problem, it worked for me.

OP
C

Casa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class 2017 220d
thank you all for your advice - booked in to be assessed by an MB retailer and then push for a goodwill contribution from MB once know what the problem is and cost - goodwill contribution as occurred just out of warranty on a low mileage car and COVID meant car wasn't driven for months or able to be serviced so this problem occurred out of warranty - let's see - fingers crossed!

Top Bottom