What Have You Done To Your Merc Today?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
The dealer I bought my car from a few months ago had put his own branded number plates on, but the rear plate rattles whenever I shut the boot, like a plastic school ruler being twanged. I took it off today and it was really dirty behind the plate. Fancy fitting a new plate and not giving the paintwork a quick wipe! Also, the dimwits had ignored the four purpose built MB holes, which have built in depth spacers, and drilled two new holes. These hadn’t been sealed, and the dealer hadn’t used rubber washers or other type of depth spacer. So the number plate is screwed tight against the body at the two edges, but raised by the four MB spacers in the middle. Also, the holes they’ve drilled in my car are closer together than the holes they made on the plate, causing the plate to bend even more in the middle. One of the holes in the body had a dimple round it, where they’d pressed too hard with the drill. And the screws which attach the plate to the car were all snagged up with visible blue cellophane protective material. How is it possible to make such a hash of a job this simple?

I’ve painted the drilled holes now so they don’t rust, and I’ll fettle or replace the plate this week to stop the rattle. I did think about getting a snazzy plate holder, but they look a bit over-engineered. I suspect if cars came out the factory with these, we’d all be spending our weekends removing them to give the rear end a cleaner look.

I would at purchase point advise sales ,no extra holes n of they did to my new car as yrs after telling them I wounld not accept the car some dealers are just incompetent

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Actually got mine out of the garage this morning.

Off to have a look at THIS E500 for a mate of mine who's working away for the next few days so can't make it. His kids have told him that they want a convertible apparently and he found this one.

The car looks immaculate, probably a bit over the odds price wise but possibly worth it if it's as stated. My only concern is that a car in such condition will be wasted with my mate who will have to leave it outside which would be a shame really and it will go from a superbly maintained low mileage specimen to an average car, commanding an average price, in a very short time. Kids will be happy though and I get to go to inspect it this lovely morning so I'm good too. :)
That’s quite a garage queen :cool:
Nice looking car, I’d prefer the 4.7 engine though

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Actually got mine out of the garage this morning.

Off to have a look at THIS E500 for a mate of mine who's working away for the next few days so can't make it. His kids have told him that they want a convertible apparently and he found this one.

The car looks immaculate, probably a bit over the odds price wise but possibly worth it if it's as stated. My only concern is that a car in such condition will be wasted with my mate who will have to leave it outside which would be a shame really and it will go from a superbly maintained low mileage specimen to an average car, commanding an average price, in a very short time. Kids will be happy though and I get to go to inspect it this lovely morning so I'm good too. :)

Looks nice Dave, by the nature of the pictures you can see it is a well looked after car. If it was as good as it looks I wouldn't have thought that £16,500 was too far out of the way :)

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Just for the haters ;)

View attachment 61844

I’m thinking I’m pretty confident in the width and positioning of my car these days...

View attachment 61845

Above is the view from the drivers door mirror after I’ve driven into the garage... the passenger side mirror I fold in otherwise it hits the handle on my roller tool cabinet... so I can’t see behind on that side...

Today I was even closer to bike on the way in :cool:

View attachment 61846

I’m having to drive in at an angle at the moment as well as I’ve another of my cars on the drive and I have to get past that before I can line up into the garage.

Anyone else really enjoy slow speed tight and potentially very expensive driving / parking?

Joining the club

20200913_123525.jpg

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
That’s quite a garage queen :cool:
Nice looking car, I’d prefer the 4.7 engine though

Quite a find that!

Looks nice Dave, by the nature of the pictures you can see it is a well looked after car. If it was as good as it looks I wouldn't have thought that £16,500 was too far out of the way :)

Well, looks can be deceptive, as can pictures in Auto-trader adverts I suppose.

Yes, it was a very nice car but further inspection revealed a lot of cosmetic stuff: lots of fine scratching/paint marring due to poor washing techniques, stone chips everywhere which had been filled in pretty poorly and 3 of the 4 wheels had kerb rash. Not too painful really but the paint would cost a lot to be brought back to life, the bonnet would realistically benefit from a respray as there was just too much damage to polish out with all the chips.

The tyres were all at least 7 years old, with the back ones getting a little bit low and the fronts seemingly to be a little small for the rim, so all would want replacing.

It's basically a very sound car but needs a bit of time and money spending to get it up to the standard I was expecting. As it's already up there price wise, I recommended that my mate gave it a miss.

Oh, and the ****** windscreen on the Scoop cracked on the way home. :(

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4

Yes, it was a very nice car but further inspection revealed a lot of cosmetic stuff: lots of fine scratching/paint marring due to poor washing techniques, stone chips everywhere which had been filled in pretty poorly and 3 of the 4 wheels had kerb rash. Not too painful really but the paint would cost a lot to be brought back to life, the bonnet would realistically benefit from a respray as there was just too much damage to polish out with all the chips.

The tyres were all at least 7 years old, with the back ones getting a little bit low and the fronts seemingly to be a little small for the rim, so all would want replacing.

It's basically a very sound car but needs a bit of time and money spending to get it up to the standard I was expecting. As it's already up there price wise, I recommended that my mate gave it a miss.

Just shows you Dave! In the pictures it was almost looking up to your standards but now it seems somewhat overpriced ...

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

No good turn goes unpunished :(

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
With the low autumn sun it’s a good reminder to get out and clean all your windows inside and out.
The build up of dust and other detritus leaves a film on the inside that reacts badly with low sun when driving.

I’d also recommend giving the rubber seals a good dose of silicone oil / gummi pfledge and whilst you’re at it lubricate the emergency locks.

Mine done today :)

E22B300F-562E-410E-B0B9-8BD3A6E9EA7E.jpeg

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)

Non of that sounds out of the ordinary for a 10 year old car. Maybe I'm not so picky although the price does look a bit on the high side. :)

Last edited:

Timeandleisure

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2003 R230, E400d 4MATIC Coupe 2021
With the low autumn sun it’s a good reminder to get out and clean all your windows inside and out.
The build up of dust and other detritus leaves a film on the inside that reacts badly with low sun when driving.

I’d also recommend giving the rubber seals a good dose of silicone oil / gummi pfledge and whilst you’re at it lubricate the emergency locks.

Mine done today :)

View attachment 61870
Loving your light interior... splendid!

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
New PB!

Ynrp9Gt.jpg

And after 10 hours and a fair bit of Autobahn blasting, it's still showing 23.2! Who said anything about inefficiency!?

Just about even, though the Northern Ireland coast Rd makes for heavy going ;) 20200912_123939.jpg

Richard Moakes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500; ML500
W164 - Replaced lower front ball joints (pig of a job), new antiroll bar drop links and track rod ends. Previous weekend, 16 new spark plugs and HT leads, new cam cover gaskets and resealed breathers on cam covers.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
What’s going on buddy ?
I've been teetering on the edge of selling the SL and my Audi to fund something else, I just dont know what yet, and a friend made me an offer for the SL that was tempting but as I dont know what to replace the cars with I declined the offer, I might regret that later :confused:

Timeandleisure

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2003 R230, E400d 4MATIC Coupe 2021
I've been teetering on the edge of selling the SL and my Audi to fund something else, I just dont know what yet, and a friend made me an offer for the SL that was tempting but as I dont know what to replace the cars with I declined the offer, I might regret that later :confused:
It’s very difficult indeed hence me hanging onto my SL for 13 years... What to do? How about a panamera?

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom