The inappropriate badging thread

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I like the price £5601.00

Could be a bit of clever bidding, somebody might have bid £5600 and were not prepared to go any more :)

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Few claims of "I smoked a C63 today."

Rob7seven

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2020 AMG C300
Don't know how true this is, but many years ago, a German MB dealer told me that de-badging first became popular there due to the activities of the Bader Meinhof terrorist gang. They kidnapped a few rich industrialists to try to ransom them, and many such asked for their top spec S-Klasses to be de-badged in a vain attempt to be seen as poorer and more 'umble, and a less obvious target for kidnappers. I think de-badging has always been an MB no cost option.

Not too sure how that would have translated to Stevenage and similar places though.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Don't know how true this is, but many years ago, a German MB dealer told me that de-badging first became popular there due to the activities of the Bader Meinhof terrorist gang. They kidnapped a few rich industrialists to try to ransom them, and many such asked for their top spec S-Klasses to be de-badged in a vain attempt to be seen as poorer and more 'umble, and a less obvious target for kidnappers. I think de-badging has always been an MB no cost option.

Not too sure how that would have translated to Stevenage and similar places though.

Funny thing is that we can usually still tell, more or less, at which end of the price spectrum the de-badged car sits.

Rob7seven

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2020 AMG C300
Funny thing is that we can usually still tell, more or less, at which end of the price spectrum the de-badged car sits.

Around Bonn some years ago, when that was still the seat of the German government, I saw several people being driven around in a de-badged S Class. That wouldn't have fooled any terrorist worthy of the name though, they all had inch-thick bulletproof green tinted glass. The politicians if that's what they were, looked as if they were travelling in a huge fish tank.

eman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
21 EQC 400 Premium Plus
Is it now the wheels which you can tell if the car is base or high end. I know Mercedes wheels differ in size and design depending on the level of trim

BassMerc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC 250 AMG Premium
The lady next door has a C series coupe badged C300 D. It makes a right rattly noise and I thought that can’t be a three litre. Looked it up and it’s a 2 litre. And that’s an MB factory badge. I’m getting disillusioned with Merc by the day.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
The lady next door has a C series coupe badged C300 D. It makes a right rattly noise and I thought that can’t be a three litre. Looked it up and it’s a 2 litre. And that’s an MB factory badge. I’m getting disillusioned with Merc by the day.
Mercedes numbers on badges no longer match engine sizes in the newer cars.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom