Tyre life span

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I’m another vote for Nexens , got them on both cars now , quiet , A rated in the wet , £50 a corner . What’s not to like

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I’m another vote for Nexens , got them on both cars now , quiet , A rated in the wet , £50 a corner . What’s not to like

I inherited Nexens when I bought my current MB and I must say they do all I want them to do. The car has done 14,000 miles now and there is still at least 5mm left on them and they are quiet, compared with the Pirelli P Zero's I had on my last MB. However unlike many drivers on the road I am never out to break any land speed records !. I would certainly consider Nexens again even just to keep the same brand of tyre on both axles :)

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Yes, my Khumo's on the SL55 are just as grippy as the Goodyears we had on the 500 and they were half the price :p
Kumho's for my SL500 are only £7 per tyre cheaper than the Goodyear Asy5 that I have just bought. Where did you find them so cheap?

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Also depends on wheel size. Years ago, I had two consecutive BMW 325Ci, same car but one was on 16in and the next 18in. The smaller tyres lasted twice as long as the bigger, low profile ones.
This defies the laws of physics. The smaller tyre had to turn more to travel the same distance..?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
This defies the laws of physics. The smaller tyre had to turn more to travel the same distance..?
Wider tyres can wear unevenly due to geometry
Smaller wheels don't mean smaller diameter - the overall diameter is almost exactly the same due to increased aspect ratio

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Kumho's for my SL500 are only £7 per tyre cheaper than the Goodyear Asy5 that I have just bought. Where did you find them so cheap?

They came from my MoT and Tyre supplier, she looks after me very well, plus she is a Khumo Dealer.
Apparently Khumo are supposed to be a fairly good tyre, when I was racing our main sponsor was Khumo so they have been around a few years ;)
The Goodyear's are very good in the wet, we had these on our first 500 and the wet grip was very good.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
Is it the goop or have you simply not punctured your tyres? :cool: (Schrödinger's cat :))

I cannot recall getting a puncture in the last 30 or 40 years..........never used any "pre-puncture". My wife got a puncture is a wheel about 10 years ago (they were building a row of houses in our street and there were nails and screws all over the place) but also no others for as long as I can recall.
The last tyre I changed with the goop in it had around 15 nails, screws etc in it, plus one tiny gash where the cutting object had not entered the tyre.

No pressure loss at all, tyre had been on about 3 years (low mileage) and had been off road a few times (fields, muddy tracks etc)

I also drive in rural Somerset where trucks and oncoming traffic force you to veer closer to the gutter edge than I'd like more often than I'd like.

Huge fan of the product - I also think it would help in the event of a major tyre issue by slowing down the air loss, helping with control.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Yes, my Khumo's on the SL55 are just as grippy as the Goodyears we had on the 500 and they were half the price :p
How do you know?

Do you do track days and know when you are reaching the limits of the tyres grip?

I'm interested to know how people know that a tyre is more grippy.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
The last tyre I changed with the goop in it had around 15 nails, screws etc in it, plus one tiny gash where the cutting object had not entered the tyre.

No pressure loss at all, tyre had been on about 3 years (low mileage) and had been off road a few times (fields, muddy tracks etc)

I also drive in rural Somerset where trucks and oncoming traffic force you to veer closer to the gutter edge than I'd like more often than I'd like.

Huge fan of the product - I also think it would help in the event of a major tyre issue by slowing down the air loss, helping with control.
Sorry but I'm very sceptical. Drove a car for 3 years with 15 nails (and a gash) in a tyre and never noticed them or had an issue.

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
On our ML, we fitted Goodyears, cost was over £400 to fit, 255/60/17, ( this was a few years ago) they lasted less than 20,000 (big heavy car).
I have now put NEXENS on, same size, cost was £250 all in.
They appear to be quieter than the Goodyears, we do not drive very fast, grip seems the same, will have to see how long they last, but at the moment, happy.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
How do you know?

Do you do track days and know when you are reaching the limits of the tyres grip?

I'm interested to know how people know that a tyre is more grippy.

Because I used to be a professional race car driver and you get to know these things. ;)
I am always testing the ability of my tyres at certain times in the early hours and have noticed remarkable difference's in tyre brands.
I can tell you the worse and most dangerous tyre I have ever had on a car were Michelin Pilots that were fitted to my 02 Renault Laguna and my 55 X-Type Jag. I fitted Sunsail? and what a difference, those cars actually went around a roundabout in the wet instead of trying to got over it :shock:

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
only issue testing out the grip in your tyres is you get that funny noise.....
ne-nar, ne-nar, ne-nar behind you and flashing lights !!!!!!!!!!

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry but I'm very sceptical. Drove a car for 3 years with 15 nails (and a gash) in a tyre and never noticed them or had an issue.

About 15... didn't actually count them, and the gash was miniscule, but would have lost pressure without the stuff.

They used to advertise it as making tyres "bulletproof" - not sure I'd want to try that out.

The liquid comes out around the puncturing object and "glue's" it into the tyre, forming a rubber around it, and sealing it.

If the nail comes out, then the liquid comes through again and seals.

Seals as many holes as you have up to 6mm in diameter.

The one I use is this (still have about 4 sets in the garage) - but plenty of others out there.

US$3.75 to potentially save 4 x tyres - less than US$1 per tyre........ Be skeptical by all means, but at £150 for a new tyre, what do you have to lose??

I discovered it because I used to run a car with LPG, which means I didn't have the spare wheel or a repair kit. So I had this in the tyre, and 3 cans of "Tyreweld" type stuff in the car, but never needed it.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Here is a video of similar product working

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Lots of this stuff about - I just make sure I get one designed to last years not with a fitted life of 1 year or something.

Not kidding it works. Not trying to sell any - as I say, it just works!

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Because I used to be a professional race car driver and you get to know these things. ;)
I am always testing the ability of my tyres at certain times in the early hours and have noticed remarkable difference's in tyre brands.
I can tell you the worse and most dangerous tyre I have ever had on a car were Michelin Pilots that were fitted to my 02 Renault Laguna and my 55 X-Type Jag. I fitted Sunsail? and what a difference, those cars actually went around a roundabout in the wet instead of trying to got over it :shock:
Must be 100s of ex race drivers around with so many being able to feel the performance of a tire through the seat of their pants. :cool: ;) Most drivers never push their cars to the point where that extra 'grippiness' is going to make any difference (or shouldn't be when driving on public roads).

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Must be 100s of ex race drivers around with so many being able to feel the performance of a tire through the seat of their pants. :cool: ;) Most drivers never push their cars to the point where that extra 'grippiness' is going to make any difference (or shouldn't be when driving on public roads).
You can tell the difference around here just by switching from summers to winters...

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom